Author Topic: How do I quantize multi pads?  (Read 3615 times)

deepak87

How do I quantize multi pads?
« on: August 07, 2018, 09:22:30 PM »
I cannot seem to find a quantize option at all for the multi-pad loops recorded (pad1 to pad4).
Is this option not available? Just wanted to confirm.
I even looked at the reference manual and could not find anything.
Within the 'multi pad recorder', I also tried step recording, but that only allows me to insert quantized notes.
However, my original recording itself a bit off, and I cannot find a way to correct it without re-recording.

Here is a bit of background for what I was trying to do:
----------------------------------------------------------------
I like to create short song-demos using the 16-track sequencer.
For many of the songs I know, I cannot find a matching style, but I can easily sing it inside my head and recall at least 4-5 tracks of information (drums, bass, guitar, elec.piano, strings, lead etc.)
So I like to quickly program them into the sequencer to see how they sound.
A lot of elements need to be looped, like the bass, drums etc.
So I have always looked for an easy way to have some tracks loop while have the others stay free-form.
I don't think I have heard of such features in arranger keyboards (in the mid-range level).
I could use midi software to do that, but finding a good free software is hard, and I feel it is much easier to do everything on the keyboard as much as possible.

In this keyboard (s770), the functionalities I miss are:
# Chord loop sequencer in the keyboard [This would allow me to loop styles with chord progressions].
# No overdub feature for the 16 track sequencer.
# Conversion of midi to style.
# Touch screen would have made editing on the fly easier esp. for step record etc.

Anyway, back to the looping issue, I do see a 'Repeat' function for the main 16 track sequencer.
But it does not repeat seamlessly, it adds a pretty long pause, and that makes it kind of unusable for me.

So I moved to the multipads to create these instant loops.
The multipads give me an equivalent of 4 tracks that can loop if I press all of them together.
That is where I encountered this issue of being unable to quantize the multipad recordings.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 09:26:09 PM by deepak87 »

Offline AlBags

Re: How do I quantize multi pads?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 09:40:50 PM »

I don't consider quantizing to be well covered at all in either owners or reference manual. I would have thought you could process these pad recordings.

Al
😊  I started out with nothing .. and I've got most of it left!  😊

🎹 Tyros 5-76,  now the brilliant Genos 🎹
Genelec 8030C Studio Monitors on K&M stands
K&M Spider Pro Stand, K&M Accessories. I love K&M!

Offline MBedesem

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 10:17:38 PM »
FYI:

The free program MixMaster (http://psrtutorial.com/MB/mixMaster.html )can quantize Notes in Note View or Chords/Lyrics in List View.

Regards

Michael

Michael P. Bedesem
mpb@vermontel.net
http://psrtutorial.com/MB/bedesem.html
Tyros 5

Offline EileenL

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2018, 12:37:43 PM »
There has never been a quantise facility on multi pads on any Yamaha Keyboard but step record will do it.