Author Topic: "Who uses "User"?  (Read 6529 times)

Online YammyFan

"Who uses "User"?
« on: August 07, 2018, 06:54:19 AM »
I never use "User"  I suspect it is mainly used for tweeking Styles. I haven't tried tweeking a Style  as it is easier for me to search among the hundreds of Styles I have downloaded  from the wonderful USB Sticks I have purchased from Joe Waters.
I am maybe missing out on something wonderful. I'm hoping  someone will tell me the advantages of using "User"

Offline mikf

Re: "Who uses "User"?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 09:02:48 AM »
It’s your local memory and can be used to store a style or voice you are working on, a midi you are recording etc. of course you can also do this on a usb memory stick, but sometimes that is not convenient. Let’s say you plug in one of your memory sticks from the website and want to record a midi using one of those styles, or tweak a style..... the user memory is s convenient place to store it temporarily or permanently.
Mike

The following users thanked this post: YammyFan

Offline DerekA

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 10:41:57 AM »
Expansion voice and style files (not the waveforms) install to the User drive on the PSRs.
Genos

Online YammyFan

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2018, 03:59:27 AM »
I think that it is possible to move a style from a USB Memory Stick into "User" on my PSR 970, but I would like to know if it is possible to move a Style from "User" to a USB Stick?

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2018, 04:08:30 AM »
I think that it is possible to move a style from a USB Memory Stick into "User" on my PSR 970, but I would like to know if it is possible to move a Style from "User" to a USB Stick?

Certainly it is. Just copy and paste it.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Online YammyFan

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2018, 04:58:47 AM »
Thank You, Thank You. Fred. You have made me so happy. It works !!!! Another stumbling block has been removed for me.  I will now be able to do so much more with my beautiful PSR 970.  Signed  Yammyfan  from near Geelong Victoria Australia.

Offline Scott Langholff

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2018, 01:27:12 AM »
I save all my fav voices in user to use in place of OTS when desired.  Works very good and quickly on the fly.

Offline Dick Rector

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2018, 02:21:10 AM »
I use 'User' all the time as a working place. Work on styles, voices, filter, tweaking, OTS etc etc. When satisfied with the result I copy and paste it to USB and a few back up places. Than I delete the original in User to have a clean 'workbench'.
PSR-2000 and PSR-S950

Offline AlBags

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2018, 10:44:18 AM »

^ What he said! ^  😊👍

Al
😊  I started out with nothing .. and I've got most of it left!  😊

🎹 Tyros 5-76,  now the brilliant Genos 🎹
Genelec 8030C Studio Monitors on K&M stands
K&M Spider Pro Stand, K&M Accessories. I love K&M!

Offline TiasDad

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2018, 11:02:47 AM »

You can with normal styles but I don't think you can with 'Audio' styles.
I used to use the 'User' section until I bought a USB stick, I now tend to use that.

Offline motekmusic

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2018, 03:10:04 PM »
I use 'User' all the time as a working place. Work on styles, voices, filter, tweaking, OTS etc etc. When satisfied with the result I copy and paste it to USB and a few back up places. Than I delete the original in User to have a clean 'workbench'.

Hi Dick,

That is exactly what i also use the USER for... it is a work area and then whatever is finished gets slotted out to another area.
Usually do not delete finished product, just copy it out to the USB stick.

thanks
cheers
elaine
\\\"I have suffered for my music, now it\\\'s your turn\\\"   Neil Innes

Offline Toril S

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2018, 04:00:30 PM »
I filled up my usser area on my S970 pretty fast, so now I just use it as a work bench. Wish I could store more on it!
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2018, 04:14:10 PM »
You can store more - just tab over to the USB drive and you store millions more there.

Gary
Love Those Yammies...

Offline Toril S

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2018, 04:42:08 PM »
Gary, my friend, I know that :) But I like to have it on the machine as well, you can forget a USB stick, but if you forget your KEYBOARD, you have a serious problem :) I always cram my computers full of stuff too, a bad habit that is not easy to get rid of.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2018, 01:24:29 AM »
In my case, the USB drive, which is 3gb, remains in the keyboard al the time unless I remove it and place it in my PC to copy some new files onto the stick. The stick is just 1/4-inch, not including the internal plug. This way, you have access to far more files, and it's almost like having an internal hard drive in the keyboard. There is no danger of the stick being broken off or inadvertently hit because it is so tiny that I have trouble grasping it to remove it from the keyboard.

Take a look at https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-SDCZ33-016G-B35-2PK-Everything-Stromboli-Lanyard/dp/B00DTZA5S0/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1534897380&sr=8-4&keywords=small+usb+drives

Good luck,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

The following users thanked this post: YammyFan, Toril S

Offline andyg

« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2018, 08:58:03 AM »
I have quite a lot in User in the S970 that I use for teaching at Bonners. The data files are tiny, so there's plenty of room in there for the registrations, extra styles and tweaked sounds that I want on board. Songs usually get shifted to a USB stick, and audio goes there anyway. Regular backups made to USB and every student brings their own USB stick in to lessons, but all their settings are also kept in their own folders in User. You know that at some point someone will forget to bring in their stick!

The tiny USB sticks that Gary mentioned are great if you want to leave a stick in permanently. When I really start using my own 970 a lot - no time yet! - then I have a tiny 4GB stick that will sit in and do the job of a mini hard drive.

User is useful! :)

It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

The following users thanked this post: hans1966, YammyFan, Toril S