Author Topic: I am concerned ...  (Read 2288 times)

Offline torben

I am concerned ...
« on: August 05, 2018, 07:30:49 AM »
Dear friends/fellow musicians

I have a problem ...  :'(

For some time a new practice in the "Music performance"/"Songs played by Forum members" - section has appeared. Some (a few) of our members have uploaded song after song, often several songs a day /per hour in this section. This means that songs only stay on the "frontpage" a few days (hours?) and really leaves no room for other musicians to upload their (few) songs. Thus the place has been "taken over" by the very few who in practice - willingly or non-willingly - use the site for "self-profiling". Just have a look at the page. Several names appear, reappear, re-reappear etc.

In the "old days" it was an unwritten rule, that you max could upload one or two songs a week. This is no longer the case - maybe because the old days ended before the new, eager musicians joined the Forum.

I really believe this is sad. For my part I could easily flood the site with 10 songs a day, but I really would not do so. I would rather totally stop uploading any songs anymore.

Some of you might be upset by this tweet - well I am sorry, for this is not my intent, nor is it personal. But if this practice continues the song section will lose its importance and meaning: to have us all have the opportunity to be heard and reviewed ... :P

Just to emphasize: This has nothing to do with quality or lack of quality of the uploads. It is only a question of self restraint and respect for other fellow musicians. :(

And now you can begin to throw the stones... :-\

Kind regards

Torben
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 12:40:12 PM by torben »
Tyros 5 was my choice - now it is Tyros 5 AND Genos !

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively, Dick Rector, motekmusic, hans1966, Gunnar Jonny, alanclare, erbis, Mikk

Offline alanclare

Re: I am concerned ...
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2018, 07:54:18 AM »
I find myself in agreement with Torben, and for the very reason that he cites. For some weeks now, I have not even looked at the Performances section of the Forum. At his suggestion, I have just scanned the recent entries, and I find it to be just as he says - multiple entries by a handful of members.

It shouldn’t be necessary to expect that this practice should be subject to monitoring. A simple request to us all to exercise some form of restraint should be all that is necessary.

Alan

The following users thanked this post: motekmusic, torben, hans1966, Mikk

Offline ton37

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2018, 08:23:11 AM »

I have a problem ...  :'(

……………..

Kind regards

Torben

Hi Torben, I don't have and make no problem of this. ;) I like it and it is inspiring. You can make a choice yourself to click on a posted song/artist or not. And who is the 'judge' or 'censor' for posting a song??
Of course there are artists that post a lot of songs, but I have my own 'favorites' and can search of them. Other musicians, which songs that are not my taste I simply skip. ;)

……….

And now you can begin to throw the stones... :-\

Kind regards

Torben

Hopefully they don't throw stones but 'songs', Let it be ;)
Regards Ton
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 08:28:25 AM by ton37 »

The following users thanked this post: erbis, Toril S

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2018, 10:47:40 AM »
I don’t see the problem. People can choose to listen, or not, to the performances as they see fit. It’s up to them.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline SeaGtGruff

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2018, 11:35:18 AM »
I don't really see a problem, either, although I certainly see what torben is saying. Also, the songs take up space on the server until they're cleared after a certain period of time, right? I think that could be reason enough for wanting to establish a sensible limit on the maximum number of songs per member per day.
Michael Rideout
Current keyboards: Yamaha YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443, PSR-EW400, MX49 BK
Current controllers: M-Audio Axiom 61-II
Previous keyboards: Farfisa Matador 611; Casio CTK-710

Offline torben

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2018, 11:51:42 AM »
Ton and Fred

You are missing my point. Of course you can choose which songs to listen to and which ones to dump. BUT - and this is the important issue - you only have the choice to choose between the songs coming from very few musicians. The rest has probably - just like me - more or less given up to post...

And SeaGtGruff (?) has an important point too. Space and time is limited - so at the moment we are having a fierce competition which songs can be on our site or not...

Sad :'(

Torben

The following users thanked this post: erbis, Mikk

Offline Wim NL

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2018, 12:01:06 PM »
I am with you Torben

The same with some post with the same subject name #1 to #,,,.
Best Regards,
Wim

The following users thanked this post: torben, Mikk

Offline Mikk

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2018, 12:16:23 PM »
I agree with torbin.

What is the name of this forum again?

"PSR Tutorial Forum"   

I would love to see a lot more tutorials from you guys and gals.  Plus I would like to see  more  questions regards to  helping each other become better musicians/artists.  That is the main reason why I joined the
"PSR Tutorial Forum" 

I will not upload any songs I play because I doubt very much that any member would learn anything or get any help  from listening to my efforts,

I wish you all the best
 Mike.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 12:30:01 PM by Mikk »
It is not about what I can get from the forum, but what  I can do to make the forum a better place to visit.

The following users thanked this post: torben

Offline Pino

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2018, 12:55:10 PM »
I have to agree with Torbin and others here,

These days it’s a chore to find any real ‘tutorial posts” because the site is full of meaningless songs, songs that a member played a one finger note from a one note sheet on an Automatic intro and automatic ending which has no educational value whatsoever and the same 6 members comments every time on how good it was, is that for the sake of clicking up their posts or what?

I feel that in the last 3 years we have lost a lot of ‘high value’ members that really knew their keyboard inside and out, maybe they just got bored of the direction we are going.

Just my take ☹️

Pino
S910 - S950 - S975 - Ketron SD40 - Maui 5s

The following users thanked this post: torben, Gunnar Jonny

Offline Toril S

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2018, 01:46:54 PM »
Hello friends! I understand Torben's concern. For me personally it is not a problem, the song section is a treasure for me, and, yes, I love to listen to all keyboarplayers here, not only the perfect, outstanding ones. This forum is for everyone, not only for pro musicians. As for taking up space in the forum, we got an update with a new and powerful server, remember? And the songs themselves are not stored here, we only provide a link to them. There can be things to learn from everyone. Maybe that one finger player played from a sheet that he or she will share with you if you ask? Or maybe a pro musician can give that person some tips as to how to make the song a little more interesting? That happens, you know. No song is meaningless to me, it is played by a friend on this forum, who sat down at the keyboard and wanted to share his or her musical effort with others. Don't make a joke of this! You don't ridicule another person's effort! Let us back each other up regardless of where we stand as musicians in stead of putting each other down. I have learned much since I joined this forum, but feel some remarks here go against the whole spirit of this wonderful forum.
Toril S

PSR S970, PSR 2100 and PSR-47.

Toril's PSR Performer Page

The following users thanked this post: ibrox2, erbis

Offline Pianoman

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2018, 01:59:00 PM »

"PSR Tutorial Forum"   

I would love to see a lot more tutorials from you guys and gals.  Plus I would like to see  more  questions regards to  helping each other become better musicians/artists.  That is the main reason why I joined the
"PSR Tutorial Forum" 

I wish you all the best
 Mike.

I am not sure if anyone can help another person to become a better musician/artist.
It can only be attained by countless hours of dedication and practice.

I believe the tutorial is more for sharing ideas, in order to develop a better
knowledge of one's keyboard.

Mind you, a better knowledge of one's keyboard is no guarantee that it will make one a
better musician/artist.

It will make one very knowledgeable about their keyboard though.

Only practice, practice, and plenty more practice will make one a better musician.
By practice, I mean scales, improvisation, theory, harmony, the relationship between
one chord to another, and the why of such a relationship.

Best Regards.
Abby.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 02:04:37 PM by Pianoman »
Musicians don't retire; they stop when there's no more music in them.

Louis Armstrong.

Welcome To My YouTube Videos.
https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJo1iW9nz1GWzeg1QBl-1wVx14CDWlBqx

The following users thanked this post: ibrox2, erbis

Offline torben

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2018, 03:08:23 PM »
Hi Abby

Although I completely agree with most of your observations, I fail to see the relevance on this subject?
 :-X
Regards

Torben

Offline DonM

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2018, 03:12:06 PM »
Interesting...
There are a some posters I listen to, others I skip.  No problem.  I seldom post a song because not many reply, good or bad.  There are sites dedicated to sharing music and I'm a member of a couple of those, and enjoy them a lot.
This isn't relative to the subject either, but one area that does concern me is the almost daily sharing of music books.  If we steal enough of them, they will no longer be written.  People get all upset over whether it's o.k. to use a style in a recording, but think nothing of freely sharing work that somebody expected to be paid for doing.  I no longer use books or sheet music so it really doesn't tempt me.  Therefore I can take the "high ground".  :)
DonM

The following users thanked this post: Mikk

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2018, 03:13:11 PM »
Well, as Torben has noticed, I too have noticed that just a few members seemed to be posting allot of the songs featured in the "Songs played by Forum members" and decided to do a “test” of sorts with the last song I posted there.

The song has been in the "Songs played by Forum members" as of today 12 full days and has 3 comments left by other members. I have thanked each of the 3 using that feature (thus not to “bump” the song back to the top by myself). It has currently 29 views in the last 12 days (not really a lot), but it is an obscure country tune.

So, even this little known country tune as remained on the first page of the "Songs played by Forum members" for almost 2 weeks, it  will probably pass the 2 week mark easily from where it currently sits in the list as of today.

My thoughts are 2 weeks is plenty of time for folks to see your posting and “click” on your song if they are interested in hearing it.

In short, I really don’t feel there is an issue with what is happening in that section of the forum, but I do have a request of those posting there.

Whether you are an accomplished keyboard player or not, I wish that everyone would please help all of us out to understand your song posting by stating these four simple things:

1.) Is the recording a LIVE recording or did you play along with a MIDI file or is it a multi- tracked MIDI you created.
2.) Tell us the NAME of what style (or styles) you used to play the piece.
3.) Post the style you used to share with us with the tweaks you have made to it.
4.) Post the registration you may have used in connection with the style or styles you used to create your recording.

Many of the performers that post here are retired now and use the section to socialize with fellow members. But there are also others, as myself who search this section for song/ style ideas and to learn from hearing what others have been able to do with these amazing keyboards.

In short, to simply post your recording without any other helpful information or explanation isn’t very helpful to anybody that is trying to understand how they might better utilize the features of their own keyboard, thus turning this section of the forum into an internet Social Club.

Regards
Drake

Offline Toril S

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2018, 03:25:05 PM »
Wise words Drake! We all can improve in this matter!
Toril S

Offline EileenL

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2018, 03:33:22 PM »
In the old days you would learn how to use your keyboard to the best advantage for you from the Tutorials. Then you would probably start setting up some of your favorite voices and a nice style. To me the next step was to post your song and await what members thoughts were. Constructive critique was never frowned on and we all learnt lots of tips and tricks from each other. I feel now that I dare not make any suggestions about improving voicing or sound quality without being jumped on.  To an extent introducing the LIKE and REPLY buttons to this section took the heart from it. It became impersonal and more like a race to see who could post the most. Surely it still holds that it is quality not quantity that matters. This thing about keeping songs on the front page is crazy I therefore do not post much or use this section much now.   

Offline Enildo

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2018, 03:35:23 PM »
I agree with torbin.

"PSR Tutorial Forum"   

"PSR Tutorial Forum" 

I will not upload any songs I play because I doubt very much that any member would learn anything or get any help  from listening to my efforts,

I wish you all the best
 Mike.

I do not see that side.
Listening to some songs played and sung by members of the group also apredi. I've seen old songs being played differently with styles and new voices, which made me try to look similar.
When we play our keyboard and showcase the final work for the audience, we are making someone to be inspired by the many performances we get, and we encourage the other members to learn the refusals that exist in the instrument, as well as to improve the your fingers.

Tutorial = Teach
Listening = Learning

So when I'm listening to the members playing and singing, I'm learning too.

Hug to everyone,
Enildo
When word fail, Music speaks!

Offline Bill Grosse

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2018, 03:51:59 PM »
The original reason for limiting the number of songs posted by a performer was to limit the data load on our server. It was costing Joe an unreasonable amount of money. Please keep in mind that this Forum is paid for by Joe.

As far as I know that limit was not eliminated, so I think it is reasonable to keep the posting of songs by an individual to 2 or 3 in a 7 day period.

BillG
I wasn't going to do anything today - so far, I'm on schedule, :)

The following users thanked this post: erbis

Offline EileenL

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2018, 03:57:27 PM »
Yes Bill,
  That is what a lot of other forums do and it works very well and it also gives you time to really listen and take in what you are hearing and time to comment. I also like to think that the songs I am listening to have just been recorded and not ones that have been found in an archive played years ago on a keyboard the member dose not have any more.

Offline hammer

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2018, 04:00:59 PM »
I agree with Eileen.  Recently it has become a big issue about how many did or did not reply to a posted song or said thanks for an offering from a member.  For me it has developed a less friendly atmosphere on the forum.  I for one have posted songs, lead sheets, fake books and never felt a need to be thanked.  For me, it was a way to help the forum be of interest to members and help support Joe's efforts which has made this the very best Yamaha forum for people trying to learn how to use their keyboard. 

I also buy Joe's style and song thumb drives, even though I have most of them, to help support this forum.

I think Eileen had to delete older posts because of server overload.  We all understand that.  Joe has tried to keep up with the submitted material and added servers.

Just my 2 cents worth,
Deane
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 04:05:24 PM by hammer »

Offline mikf

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2018, 04:09:51 PM »
 Drake's 'research' showed 29 people viewed his song over 12 days, and  since most people tend to open up new posts, but not actually listen to the song, this means not many people listen to the songs, just like Don said. Toril is obviously a bit unique in that she says she listens to everything, good or bad, and there are a few others probably do this.   
But like most, I generally only listen to a relatively small proportion of what is posted, and mostly stuff I know is by people who are highly competent and creative. A good example is the post by Eileen earlier today, where I was fascinated by the quality of the sound and playing, all from a small, portable, relatively low cost keyboard, which ably reproduced the playing of the Blackpool Tower organ, a monster which cost megabucks. Or a really good vocalist being given a great and full accompaniment, or the amazing sound of a well orchestrated instrumental, all achieved by a single player on a small keyboard. This is impressive stuff, and the kind of informative and entertaining post that belongs here, and over the years there have been many. Even better if they add some technical info like Drake says.
But if it is obviously an elementary and uninteresting performance - which unfortunately is in the majority - I seldom listen for more than a few seconds.   
 This is the reality, and maybe just knowing these facts is enough for people to temper both the quantity and quality of what they post without us dreaming up a bunch of rules that have to be policed. 
Mike

Offline Toril S

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2018, 06:23:39 PM »
Hello. Eileen is making a good point. When we post songs on this forum, we must not be offended by critique and suggestions from other forum members, this is a tutorial forum. There are many outstanding musicians here, and the advise they give is priceless. I am always happy if someone give me a tip or two on how to make my performance better. The same goes for sound quality. You do not post on a tutorial forum if you don't want to hear how to make your music even better.
Another thing: If all those postings lately are "scaring people away" from the Songs played by forum members section because they get overwhelmed by all this activity, maybe it is time for some of us to slow down a little? I love this section, and would hate to see it deteriorate to something only a few are using.I want more people to post here, and am sad to hear that some say they don't post much anymore. I don't think we have lost the good musicians, they are just busy with their music life, and will be back. They are still on the forum :) I also think this music posting business goes a little up and down, sometimes many post, sometimes just a few, sometimes many listen, sometimes there are few comments on the songs. That is the life on the web, I guess.
Toril S

Offline Udo

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2018, 07:17:26 PM »
Hi there,

Yes the good old days !!! As an old member I remember very well all
those excellent songs posted.

Class instead of masses !!

The question is, do you want to restrict by MB or should we get more quality instead
of “play along songs”  ????

At that time my forum friends not only showed me what is possible with Yamaha music instruments, but inspired me to get better with my own songs.
A big thank you to all of you !!

Torben,
I’ve missed one other thing in your criticism :
There are members who enjoy every comment which makes their chest almost bursting…..
But exactly these few people are apparently something better than others and give hardly any comment themselves. Good criticism or just anything …..
I am sure you know such people as well.

I can recommend the book  “How to make friends”

Now : are the good old days gone forever ?? I used to be very happy in these days !!

Best Regards
Udo

PS I couldn’t resist despite not being in good health at the moment.

Offline torben

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2018, 08:09:17 PM »
Dear ladies and gentlemen,

Let us not start WWiii here by making subtle insults etc. This was at least never my intention (There are other persons, for instance in Washington and/or Moscow, that are already doing their best in this respect ...).

So, let me try to suggest the following compromise:

We - the members who accept this gentleman agreement - commit ourselves to follow these rules:
1. We will only upload max 2 songs per week.
2. When we upload a song, we will strive to give some details of our playing, for instance used style, voices, multipads etc.
3. We are open to give and to receive constructive criticism. If we only have negative comments on a given song we have the right to refrain to comment.
4. These rules are to be seen as a moral guidance - a "gentlemans agreement". There is no need for any sort of "punishments"/"police activity" or similar in case of violation. But we - that adhere to these rules - intend to honor and follow them.

It could be interesting to see how many of you were willing to accept these simple - and as I see it  reasonable - rules. If we are a greater number, this could be communicated to the administrator and hopefully mentioned in the heading of the songs section.

Kind regards

Torben
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 08:20:40 PM by torben »

The following users thanked this post: Dick Rector, YammyFan, erbis, Mikk

Offline Toril S

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2018, 08:48:18 PM »
I am in!
Toril S

Offline ton37

« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2018, 08:58:14 PM »
Mmm.., I like @DrakeM 's proposal more, without quantity restrictions. I wonder if the respected website owner have problems with this?  Besides, making a general quantity-rules for 3/4 members (see the facts), why?
Just publish your songs if you whish to do so. If you whish 'hard and fair critique' to learn and hear from other musicians just asked for it in your posting. Otherwise you will get 'positive feedback' as a common rule (and that's OK too)

As I said, I have no problem with the current situation. An addition as @DrakeM proposes would be welcome in the Musians' post (For us Yammies)

Just my last 2 cents ;) as I have bought me a Genos  ;)

Offline Toril S

« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2018, 09:14:56 PM »
Yes, rules should not be nessecary. Many posters already give info about style and other things. And it is generally a good thing that we are active. I understand that this discussion has been on the forum before, and was glad it was not a problem any more, - untill now. Sigh, sigh....
Toril S

Offline Gunnar Jonny

« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2018, 09:40:45 PM »
Just my last 2 cents ;) as I have bought me a Genos  ;)

Congrats!
Enjoy and have lots of fun. :)
Cheers & Happy Playing.  :)
GJ

The following users thanked this post: ton37

Offline Toril S

« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2018, 10:01:21 PM »
And please post songs :) We want to hear it :)
Toril S

Offline juketsu

« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2018, 03:24:26 PM »
Hey,

I can`t fully understand this debate ... Where is humor, where is appreciation for all members of the forum, not just a few? I admit, I am one of the guilty, I sent in recent weeks 1-3 songs per week. But, I have also tried to comment on the maximum possible number of performances by other people. Who can say what is good music, everyone has their own taste. It is possible that someone plays well and the song is good but no comments - the audience may not be right for that music. That it´s life and that is specially life on Internet. You can´t choose your audience :) I play all my songs live and record them one at a time, but if someone plays for just one instrument with midifile, that's ok for me. He knows himself what he is doing. This is only a hobby for me, though a very nice hobby. If you want good tips or special comments about possible mistakes in your presentation, you can always ask for it in your message.

I'm sorry that I did not know all the rules of the forum. I believe, however, that if the new rules to be drawn up so it makes the forum moderator, not a single member or some members.

Let´s play and having a lot of fun!

Kind regards,

Juke

The following users thanked this post: ibrox2, erbis, Toril S

Offline Toril S

« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2018, 04:25:18 PM »
Wise words, Juke! I fully agree to Lets play and have fun! I think this has gone far enough. No one has to feel guilty for sharing their music. It is always the better choice to encourage people than discourage them. We are many hobby musicians here, not only pros. We don't have so many arenas to share our music. Not everyone have YouTube channels or gig many times a week. So we dhare it here, and the spirit of this forum is to treat people decently. Generally other forum menbers do that, but some of the remarks in this discussion gave me serious concern.

I suggest we close the thread and all decide to be a bit more tolerant towards each other.
Toril S

The following users thanked this post: erbis, wersianer

Offline frankia

« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2018, 04:32:26 PM »
Well said Juke.

Keyboard playing is about the joy of music and sharing it with your keyboard friends. What it is not about is over practising every single note until all the joy has been squeezed out of the performance. I for one prefer to hear a musician who has played a number for the feel of the song with warts and all and if they play 10 songs in a day like that I am pleased to listen to them rather than an exact copy of the original - I can buy the record.

Making rules and being judgemental is not about helping others and enjoying the music - It is more about the critic feeling better about themselves.

Better than making rules about the number of posts a member can make it would be better to have two posting areas. One for the professionals and one for the novices - I know which I would spend more time listening to.

Long live the amateurs with a joy of music in their hearts - and please keep posting your joy on here.

I will now go back to a forum where the joy of music is it's raison d'etre.

Cheers

Offline Toril S

« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2018, 04:42:23 PM »
Yes. Exactly! Well said! I wholeheartedly agree!!!
Toril S

The following users thanked this post: frankia, erbis

Offline erbis

« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2018, 04:50:38 PM »
Hi Toril, Juke and Frankia ;D
      I fully support your position in this topic. In another place I wrote today that on my Forum I put my compositions only to share with me my joy resulting from the act of creating new melodies.
     I do not need praise because I do not post my compositions here.
I hope my music can give someone a disinterested joy. And this is my goal. After all, I came to this excellent Forum.
     I agree with Torben's findings - I will post two compositions per week. I am writing this contract.
      Best wishes and good afternoon.
Erbis
Wojciech Kilar:"(...) has nothing more beautiful than infinitely endless sound or consonance, that this is precisely the deepest wisdom, not our tricks with sonata allegrem, fugue, harmony".
https://psrtutorial.com/perf/ryszard.html

The following users thanked this post: frankia, wersianer

Offline Flip

« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2018, 09:27:13 PM »
Whatever.......personally I don't see a problem.  However, I will try to limit my postings.  Since I am cleaning out my "vault" there probably won't be many more coming anyway.....unless some how my health improves.  Regards to all.  Flip

Offline Toril S

« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2018, 10:33:12 PM »
Please don't limit your postings, Flip! I enjoy them so much! So do others! Don't listen to the ones that are negative.
Toril S

Online Wal Aussie

« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2018, 10:39:44 PM »
Well, I guess I know where I stand.
KEYBOARDERS keep playing and posting.
I will continue to listen as a vocalist.
Regards Wal

Offline Toril S

« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2018, 10:56:58 PM »
Oh NO, Wal! Keep posting! We need your beautiful vocal.
I will make backing tracks for you on my KEYBOARD! They will not be perfect, but what the heck.
The pros can just avoid listening to us!
Toril S

Offline Joe W

« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2018, 05:35:46 AM »
Although this topic is locked, admins can reply and I would like to add my comments. torben raised the issue of perhaps limiting the number of songs anyone could post in a given time period.  There has been an interesting discussion on the pros and cons of any limitations as well as some suggestions on how song postings can be more useful.  I do like some of the suggestions but I lean toward not making any formal "rules" about the matter.  The points raised in this discussion can help guide members who want to post their songs. People who want to listen to songs are free to do so and one can learn something by observing techniques and styles used by different players.  Of course, not everybody is necessarily interested in songs or may have the time required to listen to many of the songs submitted.

Server space is not so much of an issue in the forum postings.  Most of the songs offered there are provided by links to the songs, which are stored elsewhere on the internet.  This is in contrast to songs available in the PSR Performers section of the web site.  All of the PSR Performer songs are, in fact, stored on our server and there are limits to how many songs may be online for any one performer. PSR Performer songs from earlier years (and earlier keyboards) are available in the 2013 and 2017 MP3 Song Collections. 

Some of the songs from forum members may be submitted as message  attachments and all attachments are stored on our servers. But postings in the Songs Played by Forum Members category are only kept for a limited time (120 days) unlike topics in most other boards.  Part of the reason for this is that we can not expect someone providing a link to a song from their own internet storage space to keep that song up online forever. When the song is no longer available on the internet, that link would be broken.  Trimming those topics at 4 months prevents us from having to worry about broken links.  Trimming the topics also deletes any attachments when the message is deleted.

I'd like to thank all those who have contributed to this topic.  Being able to listen to views from a wide spectrum of forum members is always useful in helping to guide the direction of the forum.
-- Joe Waters
Tyros5
PSR Performer Page

The following users thanked this post: torben, SeaGtGruff, daikatana, erbis