Author Topic: Connecting Midi keyboards.  (Read 3567 times)

Offline Alan E

Connecting Midi keyboards.
« on: July 17, 2018, 05:45:52 PM »
Firstly, I appreciate this is a very specific question but if anyone can help I will be more than happy.

I have a Tyros 5 and a Ketron SD7. Tyros is master and SD7 is slave. This setup works very well for me but can anyone say if it is possible to have the Tyros variation buttons control the SD7 Arrange buttons. There are four buttons on each keyboard but try as I might I cannot make the Tyros send this particular data to the SD7.

I know I can change the Arrange buttons on the SD7 by hand but because the boards are stacked , on some songs there is not enough time to get from Tyros to SD7 and back again without causing a problem in the flow of music.

Other than that problem the setup I have is really nice.

Thanks
Alan
Yamaha Tyros 5   Ketron SD7

Offline valio7771

Re: Connecting Midi keyboards.
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 08:14:12 PM »
I'm not really sure if there's an easy way to do that, since the SYSEX that Yamaha sends are probably proprietary, and Ketron would not respond the same way.

By digging into the Tyros Data List manual, I found this:

F0 43 7E 00 ss dd F7

ss=

• 00H INTRO 1
    01H INTRO 2
    02H INTRO 3
    03H INTRO 4
    08H MAIN A
    09H MAIN B
    0AH MAIN C
    0BH MAIN D
    10H FILL IN AA
    11H FILL IN BB
    12H FILL IN CC
    13H FILL IN DD
    18H BREAK FILL
    20H ENDING 1
    21H ENDING 2
    22H ENDING 3
    23H ENDING 4
dd=
  • 00H (Off)
    7FH (On)
F7 = End of Exclusive

Which means that Yamaha sends the following SYSEX everytime when FILL IN AA (as an example) button is pressed: F0 43 7E 00 10H 7FH F7

If you check in your Ketron's Data List manual and the same SYSEX corresponds for this action, in practice it should work strait out of the box, but I really doubt that it is the case.
Sorry if it wasn't very helpful, but at least you'll know where to look at.

Cheers

Valentin

Offline Joe H

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2018, 03:37:46 AM »
Each manufacturer has sysex code number.  Yamaha's manufacturer ID number is hex 43 as seen in the style control string followed by a data format "address", followed by a command byte and then the data byte.  There is no way to control the SD7 from the Tyros keyboard.  In addition to the ID number being different for each manufacturer, the SD7 probably uses a different format (if it can be controlled remotely).

:(

Joe H
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 03:40:16 AM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline Alan E

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2018, 03:36:36 PM »
Thanks guys for replying but sadly I think you have both confirmed something I already knew. Now, must practise on a faster arm movement.

Thanks again.

Alan   :( :( :(
Yamaha Tyros 5   Ketron SD7