Author Topic: Associate a saved Registration Memory button with a Playlist entry  (Read 9110 times)

Offline Depo1964

I thought I was beginning to understand Yamaha's Registration Memory functionality... but obviously I'm missing something.
I have 8 songs defined to a Registration Memory bank that I created called Reunion 1 ....
One song per one registration memory number  (1 thru 8 in bank Reunion 1).
When I am in the Reunion 1 bank (noted in the top row on the screen where Reunion 1 appears)
if I press memory button 1, the song with all of its settings appears in the voice and styles sections.
Similarly, if I press memory button 2, that song with all of its settings appears. .... and so on with each memory button up to and including button 8....
Note: all of the boxes are checked when I press on the Memory button to do a save)

So now I created a playlist to associate each memory button with the related song title.
When I use the search button to add a record in the playlist, I found the first 3 songs and added them to the Playlist....
However, when I try to search for the song from memory buttons 4 thru 8 no search results are found.
Is there something I did with creating the first 3 registrations, that I did not do with the rest of the song registrations???? 
Any idea what I may have done wrong or not done completely for songs 4 thru 8?
I hope I've explained my situation adequately. 

Offline voodoo

Re: Associate a saved Registration Memory button with a Playlist entry
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2018, 09:43:25 AM »
Hi,

in the search dialog for the playlist creation, you can search for registration banks. So the name of the registration bank is important. As fas as I know, you cannot search for a single named registration.

Does this explain you question?

Uli
Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Yamaha P-125 Digital Piano
Nord Electro 5D

Offline Depo1964

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2018, 09:25:23 PM »
Hi  Uli,
Thx for the reply.
I think so.
Am I correct to understand that one needs to associate one song per one Registration bank?

If so, do you know what the maximum number of Registration banks that can be defined to a Genos?
thx again.

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2018, 11:07:34 PM »
Am I correct to understand that one needs to associate one song per one Registration bank?

No, this is not correct. A playlist entry can reference any registration button you want. Just edit the entry and specify the button you want. On the playlist record, you will see the reg # on the right hand side of the display.

do you know what the maximum number of Registration banks that can be defined to a Genos?
thx again.

The number of files is limited only by the size of the drive. In each folder on the drive, you can have a maximum of 2500 files.

Hope this helps,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline Depo1964

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2018, 02:51:11 PM »
No, this is not correct. A playlist entry can reference any registration button you want. Just edit the entry and specify the button you want. On the playlist record, you will see the reg # on the right hand side of the display.
Hi Fred,
That's what I was expecting as well.
I have defined a Registration Bank called REUNION 1 (attached).
I have also defined many songs to that Registration Bank, one of them being Halleluljah.
When I am in that Reg. Bank and I press Registration button 2, the song Halleluljah and all of its associated parts (Voices, Styles, Voc Harm, etc, are displayed (attached).
I can play the song with all of the parts I was expecting to hear.
Note: When I do a Save of Memory all of the parts are checked.
I created  a Playlist called REUNION.
My question is how can I associate REUNION Bank 1 - button 2, to a playlist entry with the song title Halleluljah?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2018, 04:21:34 PM »
As I said, load your playlist, then edit the Hallelujah entry. You’ll see the choice of buttons.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2018, 04:24:26 PM »
My question is how can I associate REUNION Bank 1 - button 2, to a playlist entry with the song title Halleluljah?

The procedure seems to be explained quite clearly in the section 'Adding a Record to the Playlist' starting on page 96 of the 'Genos Owner's Manual'!

Which part of it don't you understand?

Note in particular the instructions in point 3: 'If necessary, edit the Playlist Record'.  This is necessary if you want the Playlist record to load a specific button memory from the registration bank that the Playlist record calls up when selected.   If you want to recall more than one individual button memory in a bank, you need a separate record in the Playlist for each one, which all call up the same bank, but can then be edited to load the specific button memory. You can then name each Playlist record with the name of the song or something else that is relevant to the setup!

Regards

Ian
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 04:26:56 PM by tyrosaurus »

Offline Depo1964

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2018, 10:23:40 PM »
The procedure seems to be explained quite clearly in the section 'Adding a Record to the Playlist' starting on page 96 of the 'Genos Owner's Manual'!

Which part of it don't you understand?

That's what I was referencing.  I actually thought I had the problem solved because in the manual under
1.  Press the [PLAYLIST] button....
the screenshot shows a button called "Add Record", while on my Genos there are two buttons, one for List and the other Search.
I checked my Firmware and it needed to be updated... Unfortunately, after the update, the problem was still there.
So here is what I did:
1. I clicked on New and got a popup that a new playlist was going to be created.
2. I tried to do a search on the songs mentioned in my first post that I had created and got no results.
3. So I clicked on the List button and the two Memory Banks that I created  Reunion 1 and Reunion 2 appeared. 
http://www.dandepolito.com/images/PlaylistEntries.jpg

4. So I clicked on the Select All tab, those two items got highlighted and then I clicked on the Add To Playlist button.
5. So I clicked on Reunion 1, the checkmark turned green and when I clicked on the Info button, the 10 songs that I defined to Reunion 1
where there. If I chose one of the songs, that line would turn green and the registration info would be active for that song. 
http://www.dandepolito.com/images/Reunion_1.jpg

6. The same was true if I went back and highlighted Reunion 2 from the Playlist screen.  Those songs would become active. 
http://www.dandepolito.com/images/Reunion_2.jpg

The problem is that on the Playlist screen I want to see each of the songs listed (as shown in the Onwers Manual Example playlist...
which also has more than 10 songs in it.
How can I get that to happen?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 10:36:24 PM by Depo1964 »

Offline EileenL

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2018, 11:00:59 PM »
Playlist allots one song title to one bank of sounds. If you have a bank with ten song titles in it it can only show one.

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2018, 01:28:15 AM »
I confess that I don't have a Genos so I can only interpret what the manual says.

I must say that personally I can't understand why anyone complicates things by memorising setups for different songs in the same registration bank, since this means that you can't name the bank in any way that can identify the particular songs that it contains. This make individual songs almost impossible to locate without either an excellent memory or some kind of paper index!  I suspect that people who do this are concerned about wasting space on their storage drive, but in practice you don't really need to worry about this, even if you only use one registration memory in each bank, leaving the others empty!

Although the Playlist function in Genos should help in this respect , even if I do eventually get a Genos, I will continue to use the 'one song per bank' method for registrations.  This allows me to identify and access the registration bank for each song simply from its name which will be listed in alphabetical order.

However if the 'other' method 'floats your boat' then so be it!

If you want to create Playlist records from a registration bank that contains setups for different songs in each registration memory, then to include each song as a separate record in a playlist, it seems that you need to :

1:  Create a record in the playlist for the registration bank that includes your song ('Reunion 1' for example). It will initially have the same name as the registration bank.

2:  Edit this record in the 'Action' section of the 'Playlist Edit Display' to select the memory (button no.) that you want the record to load for the first song (setup), by selecting its number  (button 2 for example).

3:  Use the 'Rename' function in the 'Playlist Edit Display' to rename that playlist record to the name of the song (or whatever is meaningful to you, 'Hallelujah' for example).

Now repeat from 1 to 3 above for each additional song or setup memorised in the same registration bank that you want to include a record for in the playlist.  Note you must create a new record for each one as in step 1!

You should now see records in that playlist for each of your songs, listed by whatever name you changed them to in step 3.  When you select one of the records from the playlist, it should load the correct registration bank and activate the specific button memory for the song.

The process seems simple enough to me, but I can't actually check that the above works in practice.  Yamaha's 'logic' can sometimes be challenging.  I suspect that even Spock from Star Trek would have difficulties with it at times!  ::)

Regards

Ian
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 01:38:44 AM by tyrosaurus »

Offline voodoo

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2018, 07:45:41 AM »
Hi  Uli,
Thx for the reply.
I think so.

No, that is not what I said. You can still have ten songs per registrations banks, one per registration button. And you can use them separately in playlists.

But the search function only looks at the registration bank name. So you have to remember where your songs are.

Uli
Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Yamaha P-125 Digital Piano
Nord Electro 5D

Offline Bill

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2018, 10:05:02 AM »
Hi Depo

You must remember that the keyboard is simply a computer that reads instructions.  It has no intelligence of it's own. So think about what you want to do step by step then tell the KB in very simple terms. Miss a step out and the KB will not function correctly.

You want to have 10 different songs in the playlist, and when you select one of the entries you want it to load the correct registration and start playing the style you have selected for the song.

Lets assume you want to call the songs -- Song 1 - 10 but the registration bank that you want to load is all the same i.e. Reunion 1.  But for song 3 you want it to start with Registration button 3.  Simple.

Start with a new playlist and give it a name.
Now load the 10 registrations you want -- in your case it will be the same registration (Reunion1) so load the registration 10 Times.
Remember that when adding a registration to the playlist the KB defaults to using the Reg Name as the entry on the playlist. You can change this later.
Now EDIT the playlist and rename each of the entries to match the name of the song.
now go back to EDIT and select which Reg Button you want the thing to start with.  You can then select "Score", "Lyrics" or "Text"  that will load at the same time.
Now repeat the steps ten times one for each song title.

Bill

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 10:18:19 AM by Bill »
England

Current KB:  YAMAHA GENOS 2

The following users thanked this post: Depo1964

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2018, 05:36:43 PM »
Bill,  Great informative post. I usually use one song per bank of registrations but what you’ve given instructions for may come in handy in the future.
GENOS, SX900, Clavinova CVP 307, Korg Pa4x.........

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

Offline Depo1964

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2018, 10:17:51 PM »
Hi Depo

You must remember that the keyboard is simply a computer that reads instructions.  It has no intelligence of it's own. So think about what you want to do step by step then tell the KB in very simple terms. Miss a step out and the KB will not function correctly.

You want to have 10 different songs in the playlist, and when you select one of the entries you want it to load the correct registration and start playing the style you have selected for the song.

Lets assume you want to call the songs -- Song 1 - 10 but the registration bank that you want to load is all the same i.e. Reunion 1.  But for song 3 you want it to start with Registration button 3.  Simple.

Start with a new playlist and give it a name.
Now load the 10 registrations you want -- in your case it will be the same registration (Reunion1) so load the registration 10 Times.
Remember that when adding a registration to the playlist the KB defaults to using the Reg Name as the entry on the playlist. You can change this later.
Now EDIT the playlist and rename each of the entries to match the name of the song.
now go back to EDIT and select which Reg Button you want the thing to start with.  You can then select "Score", "Lyrics" or "Text"  that will load at the same time.
Now repeat the steps ten times one for each song title.

Bill
Thanks Bill,
Going to give this a try.
Much appreciated.

Offline Depo1964

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2018, 05:03:14 PM »
Hi again Bill,
Just curious.... but what I really want to do is to be able to have 40 plus songs in one Playlist.
Would this still be possible using your example?
thx,
ciao,  Dan

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2018, 05:07:21 PM »
Hi again Bill,
Just curious.... but what I really want to do is to be able to have 40 plus songs in one Playlist.
Would this still be possible using your example?
thx,
ciao,  Dan

Certainly it's possible. That's what playlists are for.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline AlBags

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2018, 11:11:10 AM »

Hi .. Its been a couple of weeks .. however I want to point out another thing that helps you when using one bank of regs per song, which no-one is mentioning ...
For instance, I am compiling some song registration banks for some Pink Floyd tracks, like Great Gig in The Sky (with added lead female vocal for main part) This is a VERY time-consuming business .. altering Free play styles, loading multipads, using mixer and channel variations, trying different sounds, etc. As I build a 'part' somewhere near what I want, I store these in one of first reg buttons. Then next part, I store in the next button, and so on. I use the last buttons while working on what I need to keep. This may be for days! I save the Reg bank as the song name, so I can come back to it. Eventually, I will have a complete song registration set I can use. I can also add to a new or existing playlist.
The problem with one button per song, is that you have no variations to use in your song very easily .. and NO practice/setup registration buttons to save during the period your creation. I might spend weeks on one song, and working on another (I am also working on a Baker Street!)
I presume some people are maybe using the OTS to give their variations while playing (in conjunction with hitting the variations) However, using a Reg bank is much better, as easier to control what sounds with which variation (and fillins if necessary)
Just save the Reg frequently, ad it will all be there when you come back!

Later ... Al 😊👍

😊  I started out with nothing .. and I've got most of it left!  😊

🎹 Tyros 5-76,  now the brilliant Genos 🎹
Genelec 8030C Studio Monitors on K&M stands
K&M Spider Pro Stand, K&M Accessories. I love K&M!