Author Topic: Relationships among EQ, Compressor, Gain?  (Read 4995 times)

Offline RoyceM

Relationships among EQ, Compressor, Gain?
« on: July 09, 2018, 07:06:41 PM »
I've been getting somewhat oriented to the settings: EQ, Compressor, and Gain.

However, I would appreciate hearing explanations and opinions from more experienced users about these relationships.

Thanks in advance.

- Royce
DGX-305, Roland E60, S900, S910, S975, Center Point Stereo Spacestation V.3, Bose L1 Compact
PSR Performer page

Offline J. Larry

Re: Relationships among EQ, Compressor, Gain?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 07:32:43 PM »
My views on these issues may not help anyone but me.  I just trust my hearing and determine what I like.  I experiment somewhat with all the settings, doing comparisons among the changes made.  I don’t use any set formulas.  I compress lightly, but not to the point of pumping and artificial sounds coming through the speakers.  On EQ, I go for clarity, especially on the vocals.  I cut the bass somewhat and gently boost either the mids or highs.  Don’t like boominess.  I check vocals against the style playback to see that they cut through the mix.  Also, don’t saturate everything with too much reverb.  Reverb in excess sounds artificial and is a distractor.  You might have others give a listen and get their feedback, as well.

Offline panos

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 08:44:03 PM »
What is doing the Equalizer to the sound wave
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXIkWiB09rw

What is doing the Compressor to the sound wave
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBNYTmj8dWM

What is doing the Gain effect to the sound wave
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJZmIKKZBRM

I am not experienced with effects.I just mess around with different sounds and effects and the precedure goes something like this:
"I like it", "Auful", "Nice", "Better don't mess with that", "Oh! got ya! I will turn you down, you annoying  piece of sh.....effect", "Hahaha that sounds funny" etc.
Really  professional way I have to say  ;D

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 01:23:09 AM »

the procedure goes something like this:
"I like it", "Auful", "Nice", "Better don't mess with that", "Oh! got ya! I will turn you down, you annoying  piece of sh.....effect", "Hahaha that sounds funny" etc.

I like that approach !!!   I use it quite a bit myself.   

thanks
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline pjd

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 02:35:40 PM »

Hi Royce --

I'm trying to learn more about these topics myself (using iZotope Ozone). iZotope has a Mastering Guide which has a lot of good information in it, although it is oriented toward Ozone:

https://www.izotope.com/en/support/support-resources/guides.html
http://downloads.izotope.com/guides/iZotopeMasteringGuide_MasteringWithOzone.pdf

Hope this helps -- pj

Offline RoyceM

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2018, 07:14:37 PM »
Thanks for the responses made thus far.

J.Larry and Al Ram, I too use my ears as my guide. Most of my small audiences have liked the soft-but-vivid sounds I've been able to provide in the past, so I wish to equal or better those with the S975's more dynamic 8-band EQ and Compressor. I wish to understand enough to not be ignorantly shooting myself in the foot.

Panos, I appreciate your links. They have brought to my attention that there is a lot of useful information on Youtube about this subject. I want to understand how to advantageously apply this to the S975.

PJ, I haven't yet spent time with the resources you provided, but I will as I have time.

- Royce
DGX-305, Roland E60, S900, S910, S975, Center Point Stereo Spacestation V.3, Bose L1 Compact
PSR Performer page

Offline panos

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2018, 07:52:52 PM »
him...not in all cases but I hear  that  the tyros got more soft sounds than the psr and Genos.
When I look at the settings on my keyboard for soft preset settings on the equalizer, the values that Yamaha suggests are 0 -1-1-2-2 .
So the lower the high frequencies and in my opinion lower the middle range frequencies needed and bass normal other way if you lower everything is useless.

Offline Ed B

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2018, 03:11:46 AM »
Hi
You may find this article of interest as a guide when adjusting the equalizer. i think the best approach is to adjust the equalizer and then the compressor and then mop up with gain.
Regards
Ed B

[attachment deleted by admin]
Keep on learning

The following users thanked this post: motekmusic, resoldie, wersianer

Offline RoyceM

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2018, 05:55:49 AM »
Hi
You may find this article of interest as a guide when adjusting the equalizer. i think the best approach is to adjust the equalizer and then the compressor and then mop up with gain.
Regards
Ed B

This appears to be an enlightening and useful guide, Ed. I remember seeing it before on some web site; I'm glad to see it again.

I like your adjusting sequence...kinda been arriving at it myself lately.

- Royce
PSR Performer page