Author Topic: S970 audio recording  (Read 6472 times)

S970 audio recording
« on: July 02, 2018, 04:19:46 PM »
Help me please, I have an audio interface on my pc but when I record the audio from the keyboard I get soft noises on the recording, do I need a direct box?

Offline DerekA

Re: S970 audio recording
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2018, 04:27:22 PM »
Can you use the inbuilt audio recorder on the keyboard to record a wav file to a USB stick?
Genos

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2018, 09:02:27 PM »
Yes but I want to record in 24 bits not in 16 bits

Offline s_cristi

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2018, 09:33:29 AM »
Is there any particular reason other than sound quality? (which seems to be worse on your case..)
Using the onboard recorder is one of the best options in terms of quality, even if it is "only" 16 bit.

You have to get rid of all the interference that  can occur when you are using an external audio interface - good cables, plug&power source, player&recorder volume, etc...
Blessed be the Lord God Almighty!
PSR Sx700  8)

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2018, 03:04:37 PM »
I want to record also the demo songs of my S970 but with the onboard recorder I can’t 

Offline andyg

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2018, 04:26:13 PM »
'audio interface' - what do you mean by that?

These days, the term usually means an external box with line and/or mike level inputs, connected to the computer by a USB cable. You hook the live level outputs of the 970 to the line level inputs of the interface and select the interface as the source for recording in whatever software you are using. Should be as simple as that. I have a Roland UM One MkII interface that does that, but I also have a simple lead with a built in USB interface. Two 1/4" mono jacks go into the keyboard, USB plug goes into the computer or laptop. No drivers required, just plug and play. And finally, I have a USB mixer where I can plug organ, keyboard and sound module in, adjust their volumes and take the stereo mix to the computer via USB. Again, it's plug and play.

All three methods work just fine.

If you're just trying to run the line level outputs into the mic socket of your computer, then don't expect good results.

It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2018, 06:55:43 PM »
The demo songs are copyright protected and cannot be recorded with the onboard recorder. You can purchase an inexpensive, stand alone digital recorder from Ebay that will do everything you wish and then some. Check out: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Zoom-H4N-Pro-Digital-Multi-Track-Recorder/173388570935?epid=4019366851&hash=item285ec3a137:g:JboAAOSwIphbOLmB

Gary  8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline XeeniX

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2018, 08:19:51 PM »
Rodrigo,

I do not know which "audio interface" you use on your pc but each audio interface usually has an application to set input levels on line in. You could start by checking the mixer when rightclicking on the speaker icon in the system tray when you use Windows. I am not familiar with Mac. Furthermore you should be able to increase output levels on your S970 (the gain option for example that can be found in teh mixing console on your keyboard). If you use the free application called audacity you can increase recording levels there as well. I think enough option to increase the volume of the S970 sound when recording :)

hope it helps,
Peter

The following users thanked this post: rodrigo.b

Offline Toril S

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2018, 10:19:01 PM »
Hello :) I have the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 audio interface, and is very satisfied with it. Use audacity and an audio interface to record the demo songs onto your computer. Works great. First time I used my interface I made a mistake; I didn't tell audacity that it should use Focusrite as the recorder. So it used the microphone on the computer. The keyboard stood near the laptop, so I got music of some sort, but very poor quality, and I heard myself mumbling and fumbling also. Had a good laugh afterwards :)
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2018, 03:46:28 AM »
Hello :) I have the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 audio interface, and is very satisfied with it. Use audacity and an audio interface to record the demo songs onto your computer. Works great. First time I used my interface I made a mistake; I didn't tell audacity that it should use Focusrite as the recorder. So it used the microphone on the computer. The keyboard stood near the laptop, so I got music of some sort, but very poor quality, and I heard myself mumbling and fumbling also. Had a good laugh afterwards :)

I Have the focusrite 2i4 maybe my cables are bad

Offline s_cristi

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2018, 07:23:22 AM »
That is a very nice piece of hardware you have there  ;)
I get some pretty decent recordings with my onboard Realtek HD Alc892 soundcard so I am sure you can get very good recording stuff with miss Scarlett...
(some of my recordings: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfugALsKMN0 and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7RH5trh4BM ) I can say the recording has better quality than the playing skills  :-\
Just make sure you get the best balance between PSR playback volume - as Peter just said - and the Focusrite recording volume(Gain per each channel, jumper being set to instrument). You have to do a few test to find the best settings for you.

Good luck!
Chris
Blessed be the Lord God Almighty!
PSR Sx700  8)

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2019, 04:00:46 PM »
I still have some problems, when I recorded a track and then used it with some VST effect plugins (like reverbs for example) I can hear a noise. Now I have a much better audio cables