Author Topic: Free notation software: Avid Sibelius | First  (Read 4242 times)

Offline pjd

Free notation software: Avid Sibelius | First
« on: June 27, 2018, 02:14:22 PM »
Hi --

While scraping the Web for Summer NAMM 2018 rumors, I came across a press release from Avid. They have released a free version of the Sibelius | First notation program. Here's a link to the Sibelius First page:

http://www.avid.com/sibelius-first

You need to create an Avid account in order to download it. I use Sibelius First for knocking out lead sheets, etc.

If you're looking for my Summer NAMM 2018 ramblings, please look here:

http://sandsoftwaresound.net/summer-namm-2018-snoozer/

All the best -- pj

The following users thanked this post: frajag

Offline voodoo

Re: Free notation software: Avid Sibelius | First
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2018, 04:03:02 PM »
Thanks for the tip. I will try it. ;)

And thanks for writing about the IK UNO. So it cannot be played by (any) IK portable Keyboards? It should offer a class compliant USB midi host port. So it works only with iPad connected. That's a failure. :-/

Uli
Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Yamaha P-125 Digital Piano
Nord Electro 5D

Offline pjd

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2018, 02:33:42 PM »
Hi Uli --

I decided to update my paid copy of Sibelius First and discovered that Avid has renamed the product line -- and has re-used the name "Sibelius First" to refer to the free, lower-than-entry version. The Sibelius product line has three members:

Sibelius | First    (a free version derived from "Sibelius")
Sibelius   (formerly known as the paid version "Sibelius First")
Sibelius | Ultimate  (the full version)

I recommend checking out Avid's comparison chart. The free Sibelius | First, for example, can handle at most two verses (lines) of lyrics, no sound library, and doesn't have any plug-ins. Some of the plug-ins are quite useful, like the plug-in that creates capo'ed chord symbols.

Avid have gone to a subscription model, so expect more confusion. The Sibelius purchase, download and install process took almost two hours. I went to Starbucks while the sound library downloaded.  ::) It took forever to install the Avid Application Manager; the actual Sibelius install was faster. I have neighbors who work at Avid. Good thing it's hot and we're all stuck inside...  >:(

Sibelius | First is free anyway... Try before buy.

All the best -- pj

Offline pjd

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2018, 02:42:53 PM »
And thanks for writing about the IK UNO. So it cannot be played by (any) IK portable Keyboards? It should offer a class compliant USB midi host port. So it works only with iPad connected. That's a failure. :-/

Hi, again --

I haven't looked into any of the other IK Multimedia keyboards. I focused on the iRig Keys I/O because I played one at the Boston Music Expo. The 'boards are well-made, compact and have a nice action with full-sized keys. The chap at the IK booth was really decent and had to listen to me moan about the lack of 5-pin MIDI. If IK offered a 5-pin dongle for the iRig Keys I/O, I would trade my Triton Taktile for one.

Just investigated the iConnectivity Mio4, which appears to bridge USB-B and 5-pin. ($149 USD). That might be an option.

Hey, hey, have a good weekend -- pj

http://sandsoftwaresound.net/boston-music-expo-2018/

Offline voodoo

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2018, 11:07:52 AM »
Just investigated the iConnectivity Mio4, which appears to bridge USB-B and 5-pin. ($149 USD). That might be an option.

Then have a look at the Kenton USB Midi Host

https://www.thomann.de/de/kenton_midi_usb_host.htm

This seems to be the minimal solution for a PC-less USB midi host. I investigated this earlier for my Line6 USB midi foot pedal, which also lacks standard midi connectors, und thus cannot be connected directly to the Genos.

Uli
Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Yamaha P-125 Digital Piano
Nord Electro 5D

Offline pjd

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2018, 02:52:56 PM »
Hi --

IConnectivity claim that the mio4 can be used standalone without a computer. If so, then it's an alternative to the Kenton. The Kenton is somewhat difficult to obtain in the States -- without paying an exorbitant shipping fee.

Anyway, it's all a bit academic. I'm trying to get rid of stuff and not buy anything new.  :)  (We still hope to move closer to our grandkid.)

All the best to ya -- pj