Author Topic: 10 minutes on Genos.. very nice!  (Read 8661 times)

Offline sugarplumsss

10 minutes on Genos.. very nice!
« on: June 26, 2018, 04:53:46 PM »
I played Genos in Hollywood Guitar center  about 8 months ago.
Last night lo and behold Genos finally showed up at our local GC.
It seemed nicer to me than the one I saw 8 or 9 moths ago.

Has there been an update?

It was plugged into a cheap Roland amp with one solitary cable!

Price was close to 5500 US

I had heard from yamaha tech support, genos is more shall we say, "difficult" than the Tyros.  Opinions on the OS learning curve compared to Tyros?

One of the strong reasons I upgraded from psr 900 to T4 was the volume sliders.. and that was the biggest disappointment in memory. Those short throw volume sliders cause highly unmusical jumps in volume no matter how you touch them.
On the other hand the Genos has LOOONG throw sliders... a huge improvement.
I intend to spend many hours on her shortly. It is about 5 miles from home.

Since I am going to continue my audition in the coming days... any suggestions on accessing sounds, styles, etc would be helpful. But just looking at the screen, it seems the new OS is more friendly , am I engaging in wishful thinking?

The last consideration that I am sure has been brought up... the comparison of the sounds of T4 to Genos.
I am under impression only the drums are superior enough to justify the purchase.
BTW, another reason is manufacturers tendency to not fully support parts of your board when they age a bit. That is a solid reason to update.
But back to the sound comparison. In your experience which sounds are truly noticeably better?
Thanks
I use T4 as a drum machine. Playing my own acmp and bass. MIDI songs are my latest interest. If anyone wishes to share knowledge on MIDI songs let me know.

Offline EileenL

Re: 10 minutes on Genos.. very nice!
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2018, 05:23:29 PM »
The Genos dose not have a large learning curve and the Gateway and Assignable buttons are a great help for finding things quickly. The touch screen works very well but don't forget to calibrate it for your touch. Only takes a couple of seconds.
  The voices on Genos are truly beautiful as you will hear when you play it. Some nice new styles to. There are some nice downloads on the Genos site. Play lists and Audio Styles that are now not on the keyboard as personally I prefer the Revo Drums but some liked the audio. Also Tyros 5 styles that are no longer on Genos.

The latest OS in 1.30 which has ironed out most of the little glitches we had 
      Have Fun

The following users thanked this post: sugarplumsss

Offline Eric, B

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2018, 05:54:09 PM »
Hi,
Check with Frank at Audioworksct.com first.
You'll get a much better price. ...
I upgraded from T4 to Genos.
For me it was a big jump.
Better pianos, e pianos, Saxes etc.
The whole sound has been upgraded.  It sound like HD now. Everything is so clear and detailed.
I use 2 Bose Compact and the Genos really shines ....
Good luck and lots of fun.
Eric
Genos, PSR-S970

Offline pjd

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2018, 06:54:07 PM »
Hi --

I transitioned from S950 to Genos. It took just a short while to find the equivalent user interface functions on Genos. Now familiar, I can just fly with this thing! Now I'm frustrated when I go back to the S950 -- and start poking the screen...  :)

I love playing this instrument! Sound-wise, it's a definite upgrade from the S950. Acoustic/orchestral instruments are very good.

BTW, I suggest calling Audioworks CT when you decide to buy. Frank at Audioworks is reliable, cares about his customers, and is willing to offer a good price. (203) 876-1133 I bought both the S950 and Genos from Audioworks CT and I'm quite satisfied.

All the best -- pj

Offline sugarplumsss

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2018, 07:06:41 PM »
I forgot to ask... I use the lovely MIDI songs from yamaha soft on the T4.
I invested $400 on these generally excellent songs.  Do I have to pay the $400 all over again to use with Genos?

The t4 has a limit of 2 MIDI songs at any one time.  So my band breaks are limited.
Does the Genos improve on the number of MIDI songs one can have on the ready?

Can Frank from Connecticut offer we a fair trade on T4?
With local Guitar Center there are taxes. This is a touchy topic because on one hand I want to save, but if I bypass tax, I cut out local music store of profit.
Nevertheless, I ask: Do I pay taxes when I but eg from Frank in Conn?
And what about shipping costs?

BTW  I had to lift the Genos last night.. and it is noticeably lighter... my hernia appreciates this fact.
I use T4 as a drum machine. Playing my own acmp and bass. MIDI songs are my latest interest. If anyone wishes to share knowledge on MIDI songs let me know.

Offline zionip

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2018, 07:32:54 PM »
sugarplumsss,

It looks like your questions should be answered properly by Frank himself.  Please contact Frank for further information.

Their official website:
http://audioworksct.com/

Contact information:
Phone:  (203) 604-6640
Email:  info@audioworksct.com

Thanks,
Paul

Offline sugarplumsss

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2018, 07:57:43 PM »
2 or 3 thumbs up for both the recommendation and for Frank himself.

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2018, 09:23:04 PM »
Regarding your questions,

All your midis will work on the Genos.

I don’t understand your 2 midi limit on the Tyros, as I’ve never experienced this, so can't answer this question.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline panos

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2018, 10:54:47 PM »
I think sugarplumsss is probably referring to the "next up" song in song player where you can assign which midi will be next.
Your purchased midi songs will also work with Genos.

Offline sugarplumsss

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2018, 11:08:19 PM »
Mr panos   wins the ring!   Yes the "next up".
But someone told me tyros 4 has a playlist function for songs. Is this true?I will see if I can divine this playlist function now.. but if anyone knows, don't be a stranger.

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2018, 01:02:21 AM »
On the T4, you can tell the song player to play just one folder. You can play songs sequentially or randomly.

So if you want, for example, a 15-minute playlist for your break, create a folder with five or six songs in it. Then simply activate the song player when you take your break.

Or, have many midi files in your folder, and use the Random setting. Use this for your break, and just stop the song player when you're done the break.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

DonM

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2018, 01:56:55 AM »
Actually you are supposed to pay sales tax on everything you buy.  Some companies charge it and report it to your state, but generally only if they have retail outlets in your state.
Frank doesn't collect the sales tax unless you are in Ct.
Feel free to pay the tax on anything you wish though.  :)

Offline maartenb

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2018, 12:17:14 PM »
The t4 has a limit of 2 MIDI songs at any one time.  So my band breaks are limited.
Does the Genos improve on the number of MIDI songs one can have on the ready?
The Genos has a great new feature called Song List. You can make a list of MIDI and audio files and play that list. Very nice!

Maarten

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2018, 12:19:02 PM »
From Eileen
The touch screen works very well but don't forget to calibrate it for your touch. Only takes a couple of seconds.

I didn't know we could do that. Where is that in the manual, Eileen? Thanks.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline zionip

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2018, 02:42:53 PM »
From Eileen
I didn't know we could do that. Where is that in the manual, Eileen? Thanks.

Lee,

To calibrate the touch screen, press Menu -> Menu2 -> Utility -> Display / Touch Screen -> Calibrate.

It is explained on P.146 of Genos Reference Manual (latest version is D):
Calibrate:
Lets you calibrate the display when it does not respond properly to your touching. (Normally,
you do not need this operation, since it is calibrated by factory default.) Touch here to call up
the Calibration display, and then touch the center of the plus marks (+) in order.

If you do not have the Genos Reference Manual version D, you can download it from here:
https://usa.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/7/1131007/genos_en_rm_d0.pdf

Thanks,
Paul
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 04:18:27 PM by zionip »

Offline pjd

« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2018, 03:02:13 PM »
I invested $400 on these generally excellent songs.  Do I have to pay the $400 all over again to use with Genos?

BTW  I had to lift the Genos last night.. and it is noticeably lighter... my hernia appreciates this fact.

Hi sugarplumsss --

No problem with MIDI song backward compatibility. I have quite a few MIDI songs from various sources. When I moved from S950, they moved to the Genos without modification. I'm in the gradual process of editing the MIDI files to take advantage of the voices and DSP effects available on Genos.

I was concerned about the weight/size of Genos, too. However, it's not as difficult to wrangle as I first imagined. (Got heart issues.  :o ) I'm using the Soundwear Stagebag Genos (with wheels) to transport the Genos between car, home and gig.

All the best -- pj

Kaarlo von Freymann

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2018, 09:32:33 PM »
... I use the lovely MIDI songs from yamaha soft on the T4.
...BTW  I had to lift the Genos last night.. and it is noticeably lighter... my hernia appreciates this fact.

Hi sugarplums,
So do I since many years. The YAMAHA SOFT midi files are IMHO  superior to the midi files you can download for free on many sites and even to those on some sites that are not free. Old claim, you get what you pay for (which is not always the case   ;)   As what people  want has changed drastically in the the last few years  you can get fantastic old jazzy songs for a very low price from YAMAHA SOFT for example Frank Sinatra South Of The Border € 3.59  !!!)

As the Genos has the new drums which I really think are one of the important sound improvements  - not the old story of the Emperors New Clothes which I have posted so much about and got flak for - you will want to adjust your midi files to sound perfect with the new better drums and maybe change some voices also .Be warned, that  any midi file tweaking is a far more tedious job than it was on the Tyros. Tweaking the styles on the other hand I found much easier with the new interface on Genos. 

The lower weight is for us seniors a real improvement.  If it is not one's hernia, it is one's back  that appreciates it.  The difference is not huge but enough to make it possible for me not to need help, which i did with the Tyros 5/6.

Cheers

Kaarlo

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2018, 12:14:30 AM »
I'm late to the party but I echo the comments of those who recommended Frank @ Audioworks.  I started buying arrangers from him in 2007 and have been a loyal customer ever since.   Please do yourself a favor call Frank before you do anything else.
GENOS, SX900, Clavinova CVP 307, Korg Pa4x.........

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

Mazeka

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2018, 04:31:35 AM »
Hi,
I saw your post, and I thought it would great to meet up since I live in the vicinity and show you the Genos.

PM if you are interested.

I played Genos in Hollywood Guitar center  about 8 months ago.
Last night lo and behold Genos finally showed up at our local GC.
It seemed nicer to me than the one I saw 8 or 9 moths ago.

Has there been an update?

It was plugged into a cheap Roland amp with one solitary cable!

Price was close to 5500 US

I had heard from yamaha tech support, genos is more shall we say, "difficult" than the Tyros.  Opinions on the OS learning curve compared to Tyros?

One of the strong reasons I upgraded from psr 900 to T4 was the volume sliders.. and that was the biggest disappointment in memory. Those short throw volume sliders cause highly unmusical jumps in volume no matter how you touch them.
On the other hand the Genos has LOOONG throw sliders... a huge improvement.
I intend to spend many hours on her shortly. It is about 5 miles from home.

Since I am going to continue my audition in the coming days... any suggestions on accessing sounds, styles, etc would be helpful. But just looking at the screen, it seems the new OS is more friendly , am I engaging in wishful thinking?

The last consideration that I am sure has been brought up... the comparison of the sounds of T4 to Genos.
I am under impression only the drums are superior enough to justify the purchase.
BTW, another reason is manufacturers tendency to not fully support parts of your board when they age a bit. That is a solid reason to update.
But back to the sound comparison. In your experience which sounds are truly noticeably better?
Thanks

Offline EileenL

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2018, 02:39:25 PM »
Genos is an entirely different animal to Tyros 4 and has lots of new features. The sounds are beautiful

Bachus

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2018, 02:50:49 PM »
Genos is an entirely different animal to Tyros 4 and has lots of new features. The sounds are beautiful

I have to agree here...
Genos is the epithome of arrangers...
And it sounds heavenly...

With the new touchscreen and live controlls, it works incredibly intuitive..
When is asked for a touchscreen and knobs on the Tyros5, many people said that an arranger doesnt need them, most even said an arranger was better of witouth them.. and look where we are now...

I do agree that the Genos is a big step for arrangers..
They cought up to Korg and passed them..

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2018, 11:32:53 PM »
Thanks, Paul :)! I've never had issues with the screen. The factory setting seems very good.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline sugarplumsss

« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2018, 01:57:50 PM »
Hi sugarplums,
So do I since many years. The YAMAHA SOFT midi files are IMHO  superior to the midi files you can download for free on many sites and even to those on some sites that are not free.
   .Be warned, that  any midi file tweaking is a far more tedious job than it was on the Tyros. Tweaking the styles on the other hand I found much easier with the new interface on Genos. 

Cheers

Kaarlo

I would like to check with others here, regarding your saying Genos is easier for style tweaks, but more tedious for Midi songs.