Author Topic: Damper resonance DSP  (Read 4846 times)

Offline DerekA

Damper resonance DSP
« on: June 24, 2018, 12:31:56 PM »
I'm interested to know if the Damper Resonance DSP on the Genos makes a noticeable difference to the sound. Does anyone have any thoughts?
Genos

Offline jwyvern

Re: Damper resonance DSP
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2018, 07:24:46 PM »
Many of the DSP presets are set to fairly low key and it often makes it difficult to detect much of a difference between having them switched on or off. The damper res. is one of these and does not seem to make much difference IMO to the cfx piano sound, particularly at default parameter settings. There are 2 parameters in the Details, one of which is pedal setting, default zero. If you increase that significantly - above around 70 - it seems to bring in a general resonance (emulating resonance in the body of the piano if you want some) that is there whether the sustain is pressed or not. The other parameter controls the DSP Send although Yamaha annoyingly  write it as D29>W (Dry vs Wet) which turns out to be a Send of 35 if you look in Mixer/ Effect tab.
In my user cfx voice file I choose to use Pedal 80 and a Send of 50 (D14>W) to get a bit more effect.
If you like having a beefier string resonance when using sustain check out the GrandPiano in Legacy. With the default DSP settings or even switched off, the resonance on this piano always seems to give a better impression of a real piano for 2 handed playing with chords, old fashioned arpeggios and sustain.
John
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 07:27:47 PM by jwyvern »

The following users thanked this post: DerekA