Author Topic: Downgrading Genos firmware  (Read 5190 times)

Offline EB5AGV

Downgrading Genos firmware
« on: June 24, 2018, 08:40:01 AM »
Hi all,

As I am having some trouble with my Genos and the headphones connection (please, see https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,45539.0.html), I want to check if with previous firmware versions it also happens, to discard a physical problem with my unit (I got it just a couple days ago so I want to know if I should return it)

I have two questions: first, has someone downgraded his/her unit to a previous firmware version?. And, second, could somebody provide me with a 1.1 or 1.2 firmware file?

Thanks!

Jose
Jose Gavila
Yamaha: U3H, DX7, TX81Z, DX11, SY77, TG77, SY85, A3000, AN1x, EX5, EX5R, EX7, MOTIF RACK XS, MONTAGE 6 (B & WH), MODX6+, GENOS

Plus lots other music toys :-)

Offline Gunnar Jonny

Re: Downgrading Genos firmware
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2018, 10:43:46 AM »
If you have not done it allready, try a 'factory reset' to see if it sort out your problem.
Reference Manual page 147.
Cheers 🥂
GJ

Offline EB5AGV

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2018, 10:58:34 AM »
If you have not done it allready, try a 'factory reset' to see if it sort out your problem.
Reference Manual page 147.

Yes, I had already done it, but didn't work. The solution I have found is on the other topic.

It is odd, but I can live with that counter-intuitive headphones operation.

Jose
Jose Gavila
Yamaha: U3H, DX7, TX81Z, DX11, SY77, TG77, SY85, A3000, AN1x, EX5, EX5R, EX7, MOTIF RACK XS, MONTAGE 6 (B & WH), MODX6+, GENOS

Kaarlo von Freymann

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2018, 12:14:33 AM »
Hi all,

..... could somebody provide me with a 1.1 or 1.2 firmware file?

Thanks!

Jose

Hi Jose,
I would really not recommend downgrading as  at 1.1. Genos was... well in urgent need of updates and still was at  1.2  but if I remember correctly I should still have the 1.2 somewhere on my PC. If you really want to do that send me a PM and I will look for the version and try to find it for you. But once more, no manufacturer will release costly updates that are unnecessary.
YAMAHA had very good reasons to release 1.3 and  I cannot believe that going backwards could solve any problems you might have.  Reinstalling 1.3 might help in case something went wrong when you updated. That has never happened to me. I have no experience in reinstalling an update.  Actually I belong to those who are hoping for 1.4.

Cheers

Kaarlo

Offline EB5AGV

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2018, 12:32:43 AM »
Hi Jose,
I would really not recommend downgrading as  at 1.1. Genos was... well in urgent need of updates and still was at  1.2  but if I remember correctly I should still have the 1.2 somewhere on my PC. If you really want to do that send me a PM and I will look for the version and try to find it for you. But once more, no manufacturer will release costly updates that are unnecessary.
YAMAHA had very good reasons to release 1.3 and  I cannot believe that going backwards could solve any problems you might have.  Reinstalling 1.3 might help in case something went wrong when you updated. That has never happened to me. I have no experience in reinstalling an update.  Actually I belong to those who are hoping for 1.4.

Cheers

Kaarlo

Hi Kaarlo,

Thanks for your message. I think I have found the problem... or, best said, the solution has found me!  ::)

I had tried all plug combinations and menu options, reinstalling v1.3, performing a full reset several times and so on. Nothing had helped, still had no sound on the headphones with the MAIN LINE OUT connectors fitted. And it came back as soon as I removed both of them. I tested that several times.

But about an hour ago I have decided to play the Genos, as this weekend, which I expected to be a wonderful one with the new toy, had become a nightmare of silly prroblems (with it and with the Yamaha external mixer). So I wanted to go bed with a better experience to start the week happier...

Well, I have powered the Genos and, just for fun, have connected the headphones... and, yes, they worked as they should!!!. At least, I had audio coming from them. And the MAIN LINE OUT connectors were fitted!. I have tried to remove them to see if reinserting them changed something. But not... What is true is that audio keeps going on MAIN LINE OUT despite connecting the HEADPHONES, but that is up to certain point, logical. Anyway, as I have connected the Genos to the external mixer, I have just put the output volume level to zero and have finally enjoyed some time with the keyboard!

All in all, I am not very confident of the solution, as it has no explanation for me. Of course, I will try again tomorrow morning. But, well, perhaps is just another glitch of the Genos firmware. I found once that a voice sounded badly distorted. Just changing to another one and going back to the first fixed it. I guess some data was not properly loaded. But this has only happened once so far.

Bye for now!

Jose
Jose Gavila

Offline zionip

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2018, 12:48:44 AM »
Hi Jose,

If you still want to downgrade Genos firmware from 1.30 to 1.20 for debugging purpose, I uploaded Genos firmware 1.20 file here for you:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KbEvYdUd0GbmqyVEMjFDMLKOZ60ZVvWA/view?usp=sharing

Thanks,
Paul

The following users thanked this post: EB5AGV

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2018, 12:57:25 AM »
IF you already have a solution or workaround  .. . . I would not mess with the operating system.

upgrading, downgrading, upgrading, again.

The problem you describe does not seem to be a catastrophic event, i think it is not worth it. But of course you are the only judge.

Have a great day.

thanks
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline EB5AGV

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2018, 08:05:17 AM »
IF you already have a solution or workaround  .. . . I would not mess with the operating system.

upgrading, downgrading, upgrading, again.

The problem you describe does not seem to be a catastrophic event, i think it is not worth it. But of course you are the only judge.

Have a great day.

thanks

Yes, as it seems that it works, even erratically, I won't mess by now with the OS. But I have downloaded the 1.20 version, just in case someday I decide to try it.

Jose
Jose Gavila

Offline zionip

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2018, 01:41:52 PM »
Yes, as it seems that it works, even erratically, I won't mess by now with the OS. But I have downloaded the 1.20 version, just in case someday I decide to try it.

Jose

Hi Jose,

Since you already downloaded the Genos firmware 1.20 file, I removed it from Google Drive.

Thanks,
Paul