PSR Keyboards (11 Boards) > PSR-S950/S750/S650 (SFF2)

Dominant seventh flat ninth chord

(1/3) > >>

alanclare:
What’s the best way to play one of these on a PSR arranger? It consists of five notes and the span from first to flattened ninth is too big for my hands. I always play an added ninth chord by adding the second instead, but flattening the second doesn’t sound right.

Alan

mikf:
Alan
It is not really practical to play these chords in your lh, even for a very good player. I play 7b9ths a lot but usually use full keyboard so I finger across both hands. But you can also get it sounding pretty good by fingering a simple lh chord, and adding note to your rh to sound the chord. These chords are usually short duration passing chords so it comes out fine to the ear which is what matters.
Mike

alanclare:
Mike

Thank you for your informative reply which seemed to come back almost as soon as I’d finished asking the question!

Alan

whataguy:
Drop the root and play it in the 2nd inversion. Don in MI

andyg:
7b9 chords are easily done in AI Fingered mode. Played with what might best be described as a 'cluster' of notes, close together.

Examples: D7b9 - C D Eb F#   G7b9 = F G Ab B

You're omitting the 5th when you play these chords, so the others should be easy enough to work out.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version