Author Topic: Editing a Midi Recording After It Was Saved?  (Read 7772 times)

Reg

Editing a Midi Recording After It Was Saved?
« on: June 22, 2018, 11:19:31 PM »
  Is it possible to edit a midi recording on the Genos that had been saved?  I want to increase the volume of the drum track.  If so, I would like some help .  Thanks, Reg

Offline pjd

Re: Editing a Midi Recording After It Was Saved?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2018, 02:39:41 PM »
Hi Reg --

Yes. Genos Reference Manual, "Editing Channel Events of Existing Song Data," Chapter 5, page 74.

If you saved the MIDI song using MIDI Quick Record, you need to load the song in MIDI Multi Recording as shown on page 74. You need to touch "New Song" and then use the file browser to navigate to the song's MIDI file. MIDI Quick Record stores the song file in the USER song folder.

Hope this gets you started -- pj

Offline mikf

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2018, 02:44:39 PM »
Absolutely you can edit midis. One of the advantages of midi is that you can edit almost everything down to replacing single notes seamlessly.
Mike

Offline pieterpan

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2018, 03:05:30 PM »
Mike,

You also can use MixMaster - free proggie.

http://psrtutorial.com/MB/mixMaster.html

Regards <> Piet
Yamaha Tyros 4 - Yamaha KX 25 - Gem WSII module

Offline EileenL

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2018, 03:37:20 PM »
Once you have your song loaded In the Midi multi track section press step record and on the left on the screen
Press track and from the download memory select  track 10 the drums will always be on this one. Now you can look for the volume set and alter it to taste. Just press step record to come out and then you can play your song and hear if it is what you want. If it is then press the save button and save it.

Reg

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2018, 04:41:10 PM »
PJ,Mike,Piet and Eileen:  Thank you for your replies.  Several options to explore.  Reg

Reg

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2018, 06:08:27 PM »
   I neglected to mention that the midi file was recorded on my Tyros 5 and then copied to the Genos.   I no longer have the Tyros.  Given the previous replies should this change how to edit the file?  Thanks.  Reg

Offline pjd

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2018, 06:42:22 PM »
   I neglected to mention that the midi file was recorded on my Tyros 5 and then copied to the Genos.   I no longer have the Tyros.  Given the previous replies should this change how to edit the file?  Thanks.  Reg

Hi Reg --

Nope, MIDI is MIDI. Load up the file and go to work.  :)

BTW, I have loaded and changed commercial MIDI files, too. No change in procedure is needed.

All the best -- pj

Offline EileenL

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2018, 06:45:48 PM »
My reply was for Genos as it is a little different to Tyros 5.

Kaarlo von Freymann

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2018, 10:43:53 PM »
My reply was for Genos as it is a little different to Tyros 5.

Thanks Eileen. You always seem to know the right "how to".  Maybe you can help with  my

Voice Source and Voice Destination channel problem when editing a midi file.

The Genos has the great feature of letting you change which voice of the midi file is assigned to which midi channel. Earlier I had to use a separate program,  Midifile Optimizer, to reassign channels. That is very important as midi file creators have only been able to agree drums are always on ch 10.  The rest is arbitrary which makes volume changes of channels on the mixer during live play back very difficult.

So I  call up the midi file to the midi multi-recording  page.  There are dedicated touch fields for among others Transpose, Delete, Copy and Execute.  Could not be clearer, well done.

But when I delete a channel  I would expect that the channel no more shows the icon of the deleted voice on the deleted channel. My Genos does not delete the icon though it erases the midi information. So I keep unnecessarily asking myself,  was delete successful ? Is that how it is? If so, I coud live with that.

Unfortunately there is no “Move channel” function. Not a big deal as  there is a copy and paste function. When you enter “Copy” you expect to touch  “Source”, then the Channel that you intend to be the source, then touch “Destination” and then the midi channel to which  you want to copy the  information and finally touch Execute. (Then you have to go to “”Delete” and the Source and touch execute not to have the Voice on two midi channels, which a "Move" function would spare you).

And that is in fact how it works half of the time, but often  my Genos  just on touching Copy all by itself  decides  channel 2 is the destination and  ch 1 is the source before I have touched source, destination or anything at all except Copy and no touch maneuvering  I have tried will let me choose channel  2 as source to be copied to  channel 8 or whatever excluding channel 10 of course. This happens with any source midi files. Mine are mostly YAMAHA SOFT because they are very good in deed.  Is there a way to regain  “the right of choice” ?  In case not,   could that possibly be something we will see corrected in OS 1.4 ?

Thanks for any help.

Cheers

Kaarlo