Author Topic: Good news for Yamaha Corporation!  (Read 6721 times)

keynote

Good news for Yamaha Corporation!
« on: June 21, 2018, 03:23:11 PM »
Yamaha total musical instrument sales for fiscal year 2018 was $2,483,401,500 (£1,880,506,117) a +6.5% increase year on year. For fiscal year 2019 Yamaha is expecting net sales throughout all business divisions to reach $3,999,216,000 (£3,025,986,790) an increase of +2.1% year on year and that would be a new historical high. So as you can see Yamaha is rolling in the dough and that is good news for Yamaha Corporation in general.

Will Yamaha's good fortune translate into good news for those of us who own Yamaha keyboard product(s)? For instance, the Genos is flying off the shelves especially in Europe while sales in North America have done fairly well also. Since Yamaha has more operating income to work with you would think more dollars would be invested in R&D which would hopefully include multiple operating system updates for the Genos going forward. If Yamaha just focuses on fixing bugs then OS 1.30 could be the end of the line for Genos updates. If on the other hand Yamaha uses some of its extra cash flow for the benefit of its customers then we could potentially see several more updates for the Genos going forward. Updates that not only fix bugs but potentially add feature enhancements to increase functionality and desirability which would result in an increase in sales most likely too. A win/win situation if ever I saw one. Time will tell but it doesn't hurt to point these things out in order to hopefully garner the attention of Yamaha Japan and the Yamaha engineering team.

I would personally like the ability to see what Octave i.e. -1, 0, +1 is set to on the Home screen. Additionally I would like to have more icon 'graphics' added in order to have a greater variety for instruments, songs, albums, styles, etc. Here's to hoping!  8)

Mike
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 03:25:03 PM by keynote »

The following users thanked this post: Ryszard Bieszczad

Kaarlo von Freymann

Re: Good news for Yamaha Corporation!
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 05:41:02 PM »

....... If Yamaha just focuses on fixing bugs then OS 1.30 could be the end of the line for Genos updates......
 .. it doesn't hurt to point these things out in order to hopefully garner the attention of Yamaha Japan and the Yamaha engineering team.

I would personally like the ability to see what Octave i.e. -1, 0, +1 is set to on the home Screen   YES 
I would like to have more icon 'graphics' added in order to have a greater variety for instruments, songs, YES
Mike

Thanks Mike.

Very true, those items are on my wish list  too in addition to some others like

- being able to click Styles and go directly to your list, not the preset styles
- being able to go directly to your voices, not the preset ones
- being able to put your tweaked styles and voices into the  favorites folder
- being able to go directly to  Style page 1
- being able to go diretly to Midi file page 1-8
- being able to tweak midi files as easily as on Tyros   (the style tweak on Genos is much better than on Tyros)

At a gig orientation is crucial and   I have  for instance been missing a clear icon telling me whether it i a muted or non muted brass instrument and so on. 

Fortunately one can use a lot of icons that were on the Tyros 5 and even on earlier models on styles.  Surprisingly they are not canceled by the transfer, but I have not found "where they are"  *)  so new files have had to be marked with  icons that are available on the  Genos icon page, and as you say, one would be happy to have more.

*)Maybe that would need to use a PC. 

Any "Icon"  help I believe will be highly appreciated by many on this site.

All these things are software related, so  they can be done by an update,  so let us hope for 1.4.  YAMAHA made 5 for Tyros 5 if I remember correctly.

I am sure YAMAHA It might  be a good idea to collect a "summary" wish list from members ?

Cheers

Kaarlo

Offline Toril S

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2018, 05:55:54 PM »
I want a perfect voice guide, and the ability to see and operate the screen via an ipad!  Yamaha, hear hear!!
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline panos

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2018, 08:30:28 PM »
Kaarlo I don't know how icons work on Genos but you can ask at this topic how to replace the icons to be as they were on your Tyros so it would be easier for you to find the files.

https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php?topic=41534.0

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2018, 01:54:47 PM »
How about a dedicated DAW for us composers and recording guys? The Genos in its current state is very much ready for the home player and gigging musician. A dedicated DAW would raise it to yet another level. The voices and drums are excellent - some say they have surpassed many of the VST instruments! Why not sell us a decent DAW that we don't have to fight with.

While they're at it, PC or Mac style creator software would be great too!
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2018, 03:57:34 PM »
HiLee

I think Cubase is the boy!!

All the best
John :)
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline J. Larry

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2018, 04:23:36 PM »
Jump in there Studio One by PreSonus.  Go talk with Yamaha.

Kaarlo von Freymann

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2018, 05:35:59 PM »
Kaarlo I don't know how icons work on Genos but you can ask at this topic how to replace the icons to be as they were on your Tyros so it would be easier for you to find the files.

https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php?topic=41534.0

THANKS PANOS !
Your help is very much appreciated. I will do that. 

Cheers

Kaarlo

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2018, 05:55:16 PM »
Agreed, John...but only to certain point. I still find the hoops and hills a little confusing with Cubase and the Genos. To this day, I must do my basic song on the Genos MIDI recorder, and then polish it in Cubase. It would be great to just use a DAW start to finish. A decent style creator, external to the Genos would be wonderful.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline svpworld

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2018, 08:28:45 AM »
Really hoping that in a future Genos OS update we get the ability to set parameters for the additional DSPs when assigning them to voice parts.  At present this doesn't appear to be possible and I never had a response from Yamaha when I asked them about it.  DAW integration is still very weak and a plugin (AU and VST) that would enable us to choose voices and effects for DAW tracks would be simply awesome.  Other than that it's the best keyboard I've ever owned - period. Sound quality is simply incredible.

Simon

Offline pjd

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2018, 02:54:44 PM »
Really hoping that in a future Genos OS update we get the ability to set parameters for the additional DSPs when assigning them to voice parts.  At present this doesn't appear to be possible and I never had a response from Yamaha when I asked them about it.  DAW integration is still very weak and a plugin (AU and VST) that would enable us to choose voices and effects for DAW tracks would be simply awesome.  Other than that it's the best keyboard I've ever owned - period. Sound quality is simply incredible.

Hi Simon --

Good suggestion.

In the meantime, I'm spiffing up some MIDI sequences (using SONAR) to insert a DSP effect on the guitar parts. This takes two SysEx messages per part: one message to choose the effect type and a second message to assign the DSP unit to the part (MIDI channel). The rest of the parameters are tweakable -- one SysEx message per parameter to be changed.

I agree that this is not ideal, BTW, since it involves a little HEX-level encoding when twisting a virtual knob would be so much easier. Once I've got the MIDI song on the Genos, I experiment with different DSP effects/parameter values through the Mixer.

Hope this helps -- pj

The following users thanked this post: svpworld

Offline svpworld

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2018, 10:36:00 AM »

Great work, thanks for the work you are putting in to this.  I'm tending to begin a skeleton song in the genos sequencer and then taking it into Logic. That way I get my effects and voice parameters, although often Logic doesn't play well with the very tight midi event timing in the Genos midi files. 

Regards
Simon

Hi Simon --

Good suggestion.

In the meantime, I'm spiffing up some MIDI sequences (using SONAR) to insert a DSP effect on the guitar parts. This takes two SysEx messages per part: one message to choose the effect type and a second message to assign the DSP unit to the part (MIDI channel). The rest of the parameters are tweakable -- one SysEx message per parameter to be changed.

I agree that this is not ideal, BTW, since it involves a little HEX-level encoding when twisting a virtual knob would be so much easier. Once I've got the MIDI song on the Genos, I experiment with different DSP effects/parameter values through the Mixer.

Hope this helps -- pj

psychosiz

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2018, 10:30:53 PM »
How about a dedicated DAW for us composers and recording guys? The Genos in its current state is very much ready for the home player and gigging musician. A dedicated DAW would raise it to yet another level. The voices and drums are excellent - some say they have surpassed many of the VST instruments! Why not sell us a decent DAW that we don't have to fight with.

While they're at it, PC or Mac style creator software would be great too!

If you want a DAW for the Genos, Cubase is the obvious choice.  Over time, they will implement features and conveniences into it.  Right now Cubase 9.5 pro can do just about anything and there are surprisingly many good videos on how to get things done within Cubase.  I just got Cubase, coming form Sonar, and just got a Genos (literally a few days ago) and I am shocked at how many resources there are for Cubase.  I was also shocked at how easy it was to get going and use it immediately.  It has a tremendous amount of depth and I know it will take me along while to master it, much like the Genos, but I was easily able to connect my Genos to it and get them working together.  Like many things in life, you have to put come time and effort into something to get results.  Expect some frustrations and failures along the way but for many people ironically failure is their best way to learn.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 10:52:25 PM by psychosiz »

Offline pjd

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2018, 03:39:11 PM »
Great work, thanks for the work you are putting in to this.  I'm tending to begin a skeleton song in the genos sequencer and then taking it into Logic. That way I get my effects and voice parameters, although often Logic doesn't play well with the very tight midi event timing in the Genos midi files. 

Hi Simon --

I finally had a chance to write a short tutorial on setting up a DSP insertion effect on Genos from a MIDI sequence (SONG) via SysEx:

http://sandsoftwaresound.net/insertion-effects-for-midi-songs/

Hope this helps someone out -- pj