Author Topic: Volume setting querie  (Read 4953 times)

Offline karl28

Volume setting querie
« on: June 19, 2018, 06:19:04 AM »
Hi,
I've set up a wav file as an Audio-link Multipad. When I played it, despite the volume of Multipad & song being set low, it came out blasting through the pa system that my genos is plugged into. The overall volume of voices is set to 115 but the multipads were way down. Is there anything I need to tick to stop this or am I got to have to set the volume very very low?
I have a Yamaha expression pedal plugged in as well.
It gave me the impression that it had a fixed volume seperate to everything else.

Thanks,

Karl

Re: Volume setting querie
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 09:58:38 PM »
Karl, this is a long shot. I remember first using my Yamaha FC7 volume pedal on my MOX8. The default "reset" velocity value was 127. On the MOX8, there was a way to have it reset to 0 velocity. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable on the Genos can chime in here. I think this may be the problem???
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2018, 10:28:46 PM »
Cant Karl normalize a wave track before using audio Link.
To me that would be the next option.
John :)
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline karl28

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2018, 11:51:24 PM »
Hi Lee,

I do have to push the pedal forwards and back when I first turn it on which backsup what you've said.
I'm fairly confident that I did this beforehand but can't guarantee. I'm going to try it tomorrow or Friday at home and pull the volumes right back before I try it again through the PA at my residency.

# John, it wasn't a fairly loud sample when I recorded it. It's actually the sound from 'sweep' the puppet from the sooty show  :)

Regards,

Karl

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2018, 01:03:01 AM »
Right you are, Karl. I wasn't sure I remembered how the pedal worked, but now that you mentioned it, I had to cycle the pedal to get it to zero velocity. Again, there was a setting on the MOX8 that determined how you wanted the pedal to behave. Don't know if the Genos has a similar utility.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2018, 11:12:16 AM »
Hi karl
Come to think of it I have had sounds coming out really loud and when you choose that sound again all is normal and they both register the same volume. Only occasional though
I am not an expert by no means, but it is probably something to do with those numbers inside the works.
Maybe your footpedal is playing with midi numbers which is over my head.
It is something simple that we take ages over , but never get a finger on It until the penny drops
I hate things like that.What a learning curve this Genos Is.

all the best
john :)
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Kaarlo von Freymann

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2018, 06:02:09 PM »

......It is something simple that we take ages over , but never get a finger on It until the penny drops
I hate things like that.What a learning curve this Genos Is.

all the best

How right you are Ugawoga.  After having problems with the registry banks for 5 months which no one could solve, (and therefore keeping the Genos deal open) , after being  on this site awarded the honorary title of The Clown in the White Jacket, the problem is now solved. What was needed were three dots instead of three spaces.
I will post more details so that others having transferred styles from Tyros with names containing spaces know what to do .

Cheers

Kaarlo

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2018, 10:41:13 PM »
Do Not worry Kaarlo

The only time that you have to worry is when people do not call you anything!!! ;D

All the best

Offline EileenL

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2018, 10:45:02 PM »
Hi Kaaralo,
I did not see you mention style names before but there must be no spaces before the Name of the style. If there are it will not usually let you save it. It will say( a period or a space is not allowed at the top of the file name).
This also applies to any other title you may save on other sections and has always been this way on Yamaha keyboards.

Kaarlo von Freymann

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2018, 07:01:28 PM »
Hi Kaaralo,
I did not see you mention style names before but there must be no spaces before the Name of the style. If there are it will not usually let you save it. It will say( a period or a space is not allowed at the top of the file name).
This also applies to any other title you may save on other sections and has always been this way on Yamaha keyboards.

Thanks Eileen,

I was aware of  "there must be no spaces before the Name of the Style"  (and as a fact by analogy I have never put a space in front of anything)  and YAMAHA has  in many cases  as you point out spoiled us by giving us a warning messages when we do something wrong.  In this case the problem was not a space before the name but within the name of the style like this

dspacespacespaceDixieland

which when changed to      ddotdotdotDixieland

removed the problem I have had with the styles that did work on the Tyros  from where they were copied but did corrupt the reg banks on Genos.
And for that non working style names with spaces in the name there was no warning. Admittedly you cannot expect warnings for all situations. BTW I love the English saying: "nothing can be made fool proof because fools are so ingenious" (Was it Murphy?)

So finally the problem that has kept me from buying the Genos has been solved so I now have the lighter, less bulky keyboard with the sliders I wanted. Sincere thanks to you Eileen and everyone who has wasted their time trying to help me..

One more thing I believe  might be of interest: 
It is an old rule, "Do not use wall outlets for electronic products that are at a distance as that may induce "hum slings"  even in grounded outlets"  (which in practical terms means,  use one wall-outlet and an extension cable with the necessary multiple plug inputs.)   It seems Tyros was somehow  exceptionally well hum- shielded internally because in a decade I never had that problem though sometimes I had to disregard above rule.

On my last gig somebody for some reason I do not know (while I was having a snack)  connected  one of my active speakers to another wall outlet than to which  my Genos was connected.  When I came back I felt someone must have trod on a cable and ruptured the grounding (which is the normal reason for  60 hz hum) and started checking all cables instead of the mains cables which were the reason.  So the old rule should be respected, which of course when you are aware of it is no problem at all.

Some of this maybe should again be on a different thread, if so please Eileen help me by putting just the information where it belongs.   After being awarded the honorary title of "The Clown in the White Jacket"  I feel I better not do it myself.

Cheers

Kaarlo