Author Topic: Main Keyboard Volume Help  (Read 6769 times)

Offline motekmusic

Main Keyboard Volume Help
« on: June 14, 2018, 06:50:54 PM »
Hello,

Recently exchanged my s970 for the s975 and have noticed that the main keyboard volume output is less than the s970.
I have already adjusted EQ settings per the Enildo numbers and jacked up the gain 2 points.

On the Tyros 5 (which i just sold) there was a slider for main keyboard volume setting.   Is there such a setting on the s975???
On the s975 the volume dial on half was quite enough.   On the s975 am setting the dial almost 3/4.
The only work around i have found is to set the volume up on voices, styles, song to 127 and then use the FREEZE button so do
not have to change settings every time change a style.

The question , problem is how to jack up the main keyboard volume.. or is this just something that cannot be readjusted permanently.
permanently.???

any advice , suggestions  very welcome

thanks
cheers
elaine
\\\"I have suffered for my music, now it\\\'s your turn\\\"   Neil Innes

Offline RoyceM

Re: Main Keyboard Volume Help
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 12:56:06 AM »
Hi Elaine,

Are you playing through the built-in or external speakers?

Regarding external speakers:  When I got my S975, I was surprised to find that if I used the external speaker/amp volume setting I have been used to, I needed to turn up the keyboard's main volume more than I was used to. I now run my external system's volume a little higher so I can keep the keyboard's main control knob in the range to which I've been accustomed.

- Royce
DGX-305, Roland E60, S900, S910, S975, Center Point Stereo Spacestation V.3, Bose L1 Compact
PSR Performer page

Offline motekmusic

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2018, 02:26:55 PM »
thanks Royce for your reply.  8) :)

Since i just sold the tyros 5 and it was connected to a logitech speaker system,, i have hooked up the s975 to that unit.
When i took the s970 out to play, did not need any extra speakers.   If take the 975 out will have to take speaker unit.

Have ordered  the Genos and the monitors, so can now use those logitechs for the s975.
Wonder if anyone else going from the s970 to the s975 have noticed the volume differences.
I see you did get help for your low volume mic. thread.

Outside of the low volume outputs, am still pleased with the upgrade.

all the best
cheers

elaine

Offline RoyceM

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2018, 03:19:45 PM »
Hi Elaine,

You probably have much of the S975 under control already having had the S970. I'm guessing I am one of the few moving up from such an old model (S910). I have been experiencing "whiplash" from my crash course and steep (for me) learning curve.

I am eager to hear from more members as they adjust to the S975.

The 8-band EQ is my ongoing challenge.

By the way, my wife has been to Israel each of the last several years, but won't be visiting this year.

- Royce
DGX-305, Roland E60, S900, S910, S975, Center Point Stereo Spacestation V.3, Bose L1 Compact
PSR Performer page

Offline hammer

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2018, 10:43:34 PM »
Elaine,
I too have experienced the "low volume" issue with my S975.  I also have the issue of
RH sounds and style sounds being unbalanced.  This is my 6th Yamaha keyboard and have
never had this issue before with any of them - PSR3000, T3, T4, T5, Genos and S950.   Yamaha
really needs to get on the ball here and provide an update for this.

Deane
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 10:44:56 PM by hammer »

Offline overover

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2018, 03:59:27 AM »
Recently exchanged my s970 for the s975 and have noticed that the main keyboard volume output is less than the s970.
I have already adjusted EQ settings per the Enildo numbers and jacked up the gain 2 points.

On the Tyros 5 (which i just sold) there was a slider for main keyboard volume setting.   Is there such a setting on the s975???
On the s975 the volume dial on half was quite enough.   On the s975 am setting the dial almost 3/4.
The only work around i have found is to set the volume up on voices, styles, song to 127 and then use the FREEZE button so do
not have to change settings every time change a style.

The question , problem is how to jack up the main keyboard volume.. or is this just something that cannot be readjusted permanently.
permanently.???

Hi Elaine,

did you already check the Master Compressor (CMP) settings? (see pages 113/114 in S975 Reference manual)

In order to hear any effect, the CMP must be switched ON (button "G"). Choose CMP Type "Standard" for "normal" compression OR Type "Lite" for a "light" compressor setting (only a "slight" compression).

Now, by increasing "GAIN OFFSET" value (turn slightly clockwise) you can increase the Main Volume of the keyboard. However, too high values can lead to internal distortions. So, please do not "overdo" this setting. ;)

Some additional notes:

• Starting from a CMP Preset Type (e. g. "Standard" or "Lite"), you can slightly decrease "RATIO OFFSET" value (turn counterclockwise), for less compression.

• For a "Limiter" effect (compression only at higher output volume), you can slightly increase "THRESHOLD OFFSET" value (turn clockwise), for a higher Threshold level.

• To adjust the level of all keyboard parts on S975 press [BAL.] button twice: On page 2/2 of the Balance display you will find the "KBD" slider (Buttons "8"). (Normally this slider should be at "127".)

• You can also assign the function "Balance/Voice,Style" to a "Live Control" knob to control the volume of the keyboard parts (see pages 11 to 14 in S975 Reference manual).

I hope my hints will help you!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 04:33:03 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline motekmusic

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2018, 08:48:40 AM »
 :)
\Hello and much thanks  Chris, Royce and Hammer,

Although on a mini vacation from the forum, hope to be back soon, i was persusing the site and came upon this thread and felt
just had to log on to reply.

Also there is another thread started by Royce regarding compressors, eq etc. and maybe this thread fits in as well.

Am going to list my current eq page settings,, my attempt at a screen shot was short of the mark so here goes the numbers

4. 5            2.9             0.5            1.2            1.3                 1.4

45 hz         100             250             800           1.6            4.0                 6.3               10k

5db        3                   2                4              6               4                   4                   5

gain at  plus 6
  ration offset at  minus 2

Am using logitech speakers.
When i use earphones the voices and styles seem balanced and plenty volume.
If i audio record the above setting is a bit too much.

I have had in succession the 910, the 950 , the 970  and now the 975 and the keyboard balances seem to be the ONLY issue.
The drums are more vibrant and some styles reworked.
Have tried adjusting the sliders for almost each style.

Does anybody else have a better eq, compressor setting.    ?

Maybe because Yamaha improved the drum percussion so much, the voice volumes got 2nd banana.

BTW Royce,,, interesting week here,, the earth burped (small earthquakes in Tiberia) for about 2 days and yesterday had an earful
                    of a patriot missile doing its job and fragments of a UAV are now residing in Sea of Galilee.     Otherwise here in Tsafat
                      north Israel,, everything is cool.   Regards to your wife....

Deanne...   I hope there is an OS update to correct these imbalances.  Otherwise a real fine keyboard and you should enjoy.

Chris........ Wow, fantastic information,  Have recalibrated some of my settings .   Thanks so much

will be in touch on this subject.. mucho important...

cheers
elaine