Author Topic: Why Yamaha stoped to produce small keyboards like PSS?  (Read 9781 times)

Practical Senses

Why Yamaha stoped to produce small keyboards like PSS?
« on: June 06, 2018, 04:16:02 PM »
I wonder why Yamaha won't release any new compact arranger like PSS series anymore.
It would be a lot of fun to have something comparable in size with modern Casio SA46 but more advanced from Yamaha.
The closest one is Yamaha Reface, but it's expensive and doesn't have any accompaniment functions except looper.

Offline andyg

Re: Why Yamaha stoped to produce small keyboards like PSS?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2018, 06:46:32 PM »
Historically, demand dwindled and almost disappeared a few years after the PSS keyboards were launched, and from an economics point of view, the economies of scale meant that Yamaha and others could produce a full size version for the same price as the small key version. They could make still them, but choose not to, I guess.

There was some aversion from music teachers as well. There still is, I will not teach anyone (more than a few lessons) who has one. They have to have something with full sized keys.

The Reface series is aimed at an entirely different market sector - portable retro. In fact, they've probably created that market sector almost single handed!
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

Offline Enildo

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2018, 11:49:15 PM »
I think the "E" line (E263, E363, E463, etc.) has replaced the "PSS" line.
In addition to the "E" line, there are also small keyboards like YPT-255, EZ 220 and PSR F51.

My greetings,
Enildo
When word fail, Music speaks!

DonM

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2018, 01:19:48 AM »
If you need the smaller keys and footprints, check out Korg Micro Arranger.  It's been out a few years but works great. Excellent styles and sounds.

Practical Senses

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2018, 06:45:48 PM »
Korg Micro Arranger is great but not cheap.
I'm talking more about Yamaha's competitor of Casio's SA series (like PSS-140 was for example)
Keyboard, which can be used as a draft-tool for music ideas or just for fun and picking in a backpack everywhere.

Some good examples:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLznAHO508g
https://soundcloud.com/silentlynx/casio-sa-46-sa-47-cover-of-depeche-mode-but-not-tonight

P.S. Of course second-hand market of PSS is still here, but they are getting too old and wearing out quickly.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 06:48:02 PM by Practical Senses »

Practical Senses

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2020, 08:11:00 AM »
Seems Yamaha fulfilled my desires and launched 3 new PSS. Now I'm going to buy PSS A-50 :)