Author Topic: Report on Genos Registration problem - not as bad as I'd feared  (Read 5312 times)

Offline jimlaing

Hi - after the various notes about Registration issues (registrations not saving the settings right etc.), since I found I noticed it too, I decided to go through ALL of my Tyros5-originated Registrations again.  I had already gone through them all in quite a bit of detail, to select newer sounds, make various adjustments, re-select Style to get new balance settings, and all seemed OK. 

When I later noticed 1 or 2 didn't have the settings I saved, I saw all the notes on this topic.  So anyway, I am about 3/4 through re-checking of my Registrations - checking every one of them again.  I was pleasantly surprised that of 55 banks (file), of mostly 8 Reg's each, I only had 4 Registrations with a problem.  The problems were always in the LEFT part.  Usually the Effect was wrong (different than I had originally when I saved it).  So that is maybe 400+ registrations I checked, and only 4 had a problem.  So it's 1%, not really that bad.  Still not desirable - but luckily 99% of my previous work was intact and OK.  I made note of which 4, so I could go back and make sure the new changes "stayed" or "took".

I'm going to finish checking the remaining ~150-200 Reg's just in case ...
I'm at code level 1.30 (latest I could find).

Jim
Raleigh, NC, USA / Genos / Tyros5-61 / Lucas Nana 600 / other stuff

Offline jwyvern

Re: Report on Genos Registration problem - not as bad as I'd feared
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2018, 04:04:20 PM »
I was regularly finding problems with the DSP effect not being correct on the left voice and some DSP  parameters not being held for the left voice before OS version 1.3. After installing the latter it happened again once or twice  but after resaving under the new OS those faults have not returned.

John

Offline zionip

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2018, 09:06:28 PM »
I was regularly finding problems with the DSP effect not being correct on the left voice and some DSP  parameters not being held for the left voice before OS version 1.3. After installing the latter it happened again once or twice  but after resaving under the new OS those faults have not returned.

John

John's observation matches the version history description of one of the fixes Genos firmware 1.30 (from 1.20):
https://usa.yamaha.com/support/updates/firm_genos.html
Fixed a problem in which, under a certain situation, the Insertion Effect settings for the LEFT part would occasionally not be stored to the Registration Memory.

Thanks,
Paul

Audrey Turner

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2018, 09:25:57 PM »
I have been reading this post with great interest and have learned a great deal from doing so.  However, when most of my registration problems are due to 'converted' styles/regits saved to my USB sticks some of which, refuse to load/play at all.  Answer:  delete them and re-work a new version, it's much quicker and definitely more interesting.

Audrey T

Kaarlo von Freymann

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2018, 11:54:17 PM »
I have been reading this post with great interest and have learned a great deal from doing so.  However, when most of my registration problems are due to 'converted' styles/regits saved to my USB sticks some of which, refuse to load/play at all.  Answer:  delete them and re-work a new version, it's much quicker and definitely more interesting.

Audrey T

Hi Audrey,
please check the Tyros style names.  My Tyros accepted a name like   dspacespacespaceDixieland.  Tranferred to Genos it did play, but did corrupt the registry.  In order to be able to use it on Genos I had to change it to  d...Dixieland. Took me 5 months to find out.  Just could not do what you correctly suggest  "delete them and re-work a new version, it's much quicker and definitely more interesting."

Cheers

Kaarlo

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2018, 01:50:55 AM »
Hi Kaarlo,

I'm going to go out on a limb here, and if anyone has better info, I'm all ears.

With modern computers, which Genos really is (with a set of keys and excellent sound module attached) we tend to stick with older naming conventions. It seems to me that back in the days of DOS and Unix, we needed to use underscores and other place holders. Today, there are very few restrictions in terms of file naming conventions. I think it's when we keep using the really old conventions with modern software, that we get into trouble.

It never ceases to amaze me how the college where I teach technical writing, sends me files with names such as, "Human_Factors_In_Document_Design." With today's computer systems, you don't need all the underscores!!!!!!! Perhaps by using older naming conventions, we are causing MAJOR problems with file access and retrieval in the new systems. If I'm not mistaken, the underscores were required in the DOS language to differentiate between all the words in the title. Hence, today we just name the document, "Human Factors In Document Design."

Kaarlo, dump all the old naming conventions and just type the name. Chances are things will be fine. Please give this a try. You don't need all the dashes, underscores, nor dots. Just a thought :).

"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2018, 04:08:01 AM »
I'm amazed at how much this has been rehashed. I did this with 600 MFD files and several hundred registrations when I switched from my PSR-3000 to my S-950. It was worth the time and effort, not only for myself, but for my audiences as well. If you are a home player, it really doesn't make much difference how much time it takes.

Good luck,

Gary  8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline Joe H

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2018, 04:26:51 AM »
... dump all the old naming conventions and just type the name. Chances are things will be fine...

Actually, when I create expansion pack Installation files for my S970 with multiple packs in it, I abbreviate the various pack names and use an underscore to separate the abbreviated names.  It is much easier to read that way.

BTW... I discovered there is a limit on the number of characters we can use for expansion pack files names.  If I exceed it then the file does not show up when I look for it in the Pack folder. Maybe this is true for all file types for our keyboards.

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2018, 05:21:03 PM »
What a strange thread this has turned into.

It started with a bug having been found by Jim, which as Paul pointed out was acknowledged by Yamaha, and fixed in OS version 1.3. Somehow it's morphed into a recommendation to delete all your files and start over, and while you're at it, change your naming convention. This makes no sense.

Let's be clear on where we currently stand with the Genos:
1. Version 1.3 has fixed the problem Jim identified.
2. Genos will accept any file name that Tyros did. Changing file names won't solve your problem. You can do it for aesthetics, but not for problem resolution.
3. When a registration doesn't load a file, it's because it can't find the file. So you need to put the file where you told the registration it was, or re-memorize the registration. Unfortunately, renaming the file looks like it solves the problem because you have to re-memorize the new name. But it's not a recommendation you should make to others.
4. When you buy a new keyboard, you will always find it useful to tweak your registrations/styles based on the new features of the keyboard. But this tweaking applies to any new keyboard, not just the Genos, and has nothing to do with file names.
5. Complaints about "styles not loading" or "corruption of the registry [sic]" are unhelpful because there's no specifics to go on. If you want your problem solved (which I'm not sure is true of every poster here), you need to provide specifics.

Hope this helps,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2018, 05:48:06 PM »
Good information, Fred.

Gary 8)