Author Topic: Recording my PSR E433 on an iPad with the Alesis IO2 Express Audio interface?  (Read 5082 times)

Offline vbdx66

Hello again,

Unfortunately the PSR E433 doesn’t have the onboard digital audio interface of the later models.

In the past, I have recorded the PSR 433 live with Audacity on a laptop using audio cables and the Alesis iO2 digital audio interface.

I’d like to do the same thing on my iPad (iPad 2017 with Lightning connector). The problem is, the Alesis interface is powered by an USB type B connector (like the USB to Host port on a keyboard or on a printer) and draws its power from the computer.
Obviously, the iPad won’t have enough voltage to power the Alesis.

So here is my question: is there any type of adapter capable of doubling the USB type B port of the Alesis so that I can connect it to a USB power Adaptor and to the iPad at the same time? And if I do this, will the iPad be in state of receiving the audio coming from the keyboard through the Alesis?

I already have an USB type B cable (printer cable) and the Apple Camera Connection kit, so this part of the setting is already solved.

Accessory question: is this setting doesn't work, is there an alternative cheap digital audio interface which will work with the PSR E433 and the iPad?

For clarity, I am attaching 2 pictures of the Alesis iO2 digital audio interface.

Thanks for helping,

Regards,

Vinciane.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Past keyboards: PSR E313, PSR E413, PSR E433, PSR S550, DGX 640, upright piano.
Now: DGX 650, Casio CT-X800.

SeaGtGruff

Uh oh, I just posted in your other thread about the Behringer UCA222, but so far I've only used it with my computer and I hadn't thought about any possible power issue when connecting to an iPad. I'll have to try it with my iPad 2 and iPad 5 to see whether the power draw is an issue.

Offline vbdx66

Hello Michael and thanks for your answer.

Because in the past I could record flawlessly the PSR E433 through the Alesis iO2 on my laptop I thought I would be able to do the same thing on my iPad 5 but unfortunately it is not that simple, because the iO2 only has one USB type B port for connecting to a computer or smart device, and it draws its power from the computer through the same USB type B port. Ideally I would need an auto-powered digital audio interface if I want to record the PSR E433 on my iPad.

I still could record the keyboard on the laptop of course, but it is so much more convenient with the iPad, it takes less room and also I find the Yamaha Audio Recorder app so easy to use as compared with Audacity, at least for recording musical ideas on the fly on one single track.

I am wondering if I have not made a mistake by rebuying a PSR E433 (even though it has a better keybed) and if it would not be best to reselling it to a beginner player (it remains a nice keyboard apart from its connectivity issues) and moving up to the E453 or 463.

We will see...

Best Regards,

Vinciane.

Offline Brian 007

hi

Possibly some type of powered hub ?

Brian007

Offline vbdx66

Hi Brian,

Thanks for helping.

I thought of that but which type of hub given that the Alesis has only an USB type B port and the iPad of course a Lightning port? I’d probably need some adapters as well.

Regards,

Vinciane.

SeaGtGruff

This person shows how you might be able to get around the power draw issue by using an unpowered(!) USB hub. Her video was for an older iPad, but it might be worth a shot. The worst thing that could happen is you end up with a USB hub that you can use to connect multiple USB devices to your iPad. I have a USB hub I can try later, but it's powered, so I might see about picking up an inexpensive unpowered hub when I go shopping this evening-- then I can try both the powered and unpowered hubs with my older and newer iPads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CE6ptRCo_D4

Offline vbdx66

Hi Michael,

Thanks for this information.

I watched the video but I strongly doubt that this system will work with a digital audio interface though, because I suspect it would draw much more power than an USB stick :( An alternative of course would be to use a powered Camera Connection Kit with an unpowered USB hub.

If the trick works with your powered USB hub, could you please tell me which model it is?

I am surprised that there are not more infos on the subject on the Internet - there must be many musicians wishing to record the audio from their instrument on their iPad.

Mind you, this is probably why the latest generation of PSR E and EW keyboards (PSR E363, E453, E463, EW400, EW410) all have an onboard digital audio interface. It makes things so much easier.

Best Regards,

Vinciane.

Offline vbdx66

I just came across the following video, which gives some interesting informations:

https://youtu.be/irgM3Egd70c

Regards

Vinciane.

pquenin

IK Multimedia have some products that support IOS devices, such as the IK Multimedia iRig Pro I/O, that can be powered by USB but also with an AC adaptator or batteries...

The following users thanked this post: vbdx66