Author Topic: Audio recording - which differences between PSR E453 and 463?  (Read 6605 times)

Offline vbdx66

Hello to everybody,

As I have understood, it is possible to record digital audio both with the PSR E453 and E463. I understand that the PSR E463 can record audio directly onto an USB stick but that the PSR E453 cannot do this.

That said, is it true that both keyboards can record audio directly on an iPad (for instance using GarageBand, Cubasis or Yamaha Audio Recorder) using their onboard digital audio interface?

Thanks for clarifying this,

Regards,

Vinciane.
Past keyboards: PSR E313, PSR E413, PSR E433, PSR S550, DGX 640, upright piano.
Now: DGX 650, Casio CT-X800.

SeaGtGruff

Re: Audio recording - which differences between PSR E453 and 463?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 06:23:39 AM »
The PSR-E453 can't record digital audio. It can transmit digital audio to an attached device (computer, iPad, iPhone, etc.), which can then use appropriate software to record the audio. But the PSR-E453 can't record the audio itself.

I know you know this ("I understand … that the PSR E453 cannot do this"), but I'm clarifying in case anyone misunderstands the first part of your question ("it is possible to record digital audio … with the PSR E453"). You didn't say "on the PSR-E453," and there's a difference between "with" and "on," but sometimes the subtleties of language can be confusing. :)

Anyway, you should be able to record the PSR-E453's digital audio signal on an iPad.

In fact, you can do this with the earlier models (PSR-E443, PSR-E433, PSR-E423, etc.) by using an audio interface to convert the keyboard's analog audio signal into digital audio. I bought the inexpensive Behringer UCA222 audio interface on another forum member's recommendation, and it works great-- but it takes RCA stereo inputs, so you'll need an audio cable with 1/4" TRS stereo plugs on one end and RCA stereo plugs on the other. The UCA222 was $30 US when I bought it, but seems to have dropped in price to $23 US (at least for Amazom Prime members), and the audio cable was $7 US:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0023BYDHK
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000068O1K

The following users thanked this post: vbdx66

Offline vbdx66

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 05:58:44 PM »
Hello again Michael and thanks for your explanation.

I hope you will pardon my language slips but English is not my mother language and it is difficult to master the subtleties of prepositional usage :o

To sum up, with the PSR E463 you can record audio on an USB stick without further ado and with the PSR E453 you can record audio directly on a laptop or iPad without needing a digital audio interface, but for earlier keyboards you need a digital audio interface like the Behringer or the Alesis iO2 (which will work with a laptop but maybe not with an iPad)?

Then practically, to record the E453 audio output on an iPad, one simply needs an USB type B printer cable and Apple Camera connection kit. So I suppose that if you have an iPad, audio recording is as easy on the E453 as it is on the E463, right?

Best Regards,

Vinciane.

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2018, 04:47:39 AM »
Yes, that sounds right. :) And there was nothing wrong with your prepositions; I just wanted to make sure that no one misread and misunderstood what you said. :)

pquenin

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2018, 07:00:59 AM »
Yes, both E453 and E463 directly send digital audio on the USB to HOST port, so you can record digital audio on a IOS device or a computer without any digital to analog and analog to digital conversions. The E463 add the possibility to record audio on a USB stick connected to the USB to DEVICE port of the keyboard.

Offline vbdx66

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2018, 07:10:41 AM »
Yes, this is a very convenient feature. I have it on the DGX 650. You just plug an USB stick and you are ready to record audio. On the other hand, the DGX 650 cannot send audio directly to a computer or an IPad without adding an audio digital interface.