Author Topic: HOW TO REDUCE VOLUME OF " BASS DRUM ONLY "  (Read 6749 times)

Osvaldo De Souza

HOW TO REDUCE VOLUME OF " BASS DRUM ONLY "
« on: May 27, 2018, 07:18:42 PM »
27th May 2018

When I play a MIDI file, the " BASS DRUM " seems to be loud.

Is there a way to split the drums so I can reduce the volume of the " BASS DRUM "??

Oz

Offline Jørgen

Re: HOW TO REDUCE VOLUME OF " BASS DRUM ONLY "
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2018, 10:13:45 PM »
Hi

Try my "Single Note Volume Changer" software at
http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha/software/singlenotevolume/index.htm

Jørgen
The Unofficial YAMAHA Keyboard Resource Site at http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha
- since 1999

Osvaldo De Souza

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2018, 02:41:20 AM »
27th May 2018

Good morning Jorgen,

Is there a chart that I can refer to find out which number corresponds to " BASS DRUM " CYmbals, Snares etc etc.

The Midi File that I am using uses GS format instruments.

Thanks for your help.

Regards
Oz

Offline panos

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2018, 03:11:31 AM »
If you want to find out on your keyboard what notes there are in every channel,
I hope this will help you:

First find which of the 16 channels play the drum you want to change.
For drums usually is the channel 10.
To find out easilly, mute all channels and then unmute them one by one untill you listen the channel you are looking for.

After that go to Song Creator.
On my psr there is a tab there called "1-16" which contains all the informations for each channel of the midi like volume,duration of the notes some other things that very few can understand etc.
There must be something similar on your Genos.
Navigate down one by one the lines there and in some point you will see some notes name like C,Gb,F# etc and you can hera them if you navigate one by one as I said.

For example C is the snare and F# is the Tom for that particular drum set.
So you can find which note's volume you have to change.
Next to the notes symbols are the volume for each note.
It will take you some time to change all the volumes in Song Creator for a midi file.

If it is a style it is a lot easier to do it on the keyboard because there are few notes to change.
So Jorgen's program will help you save time.

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2018, 05:19:54 AM »
27th May 2018

When I play a MIDI file, the " BASS DRUM " seems to be loud.

Is there a way to split the drums so I can reduce the volume of the " BASS DRUM "??

Oz
I sometimes find on Genos the bass drum beat in a style coincides with the Bass voice, giving an exaggerated and laboured combined beat. In those cases simply  putting a negative value in the drum channel's low  EQ setting via the Mixer tames the thump of that drum. Maybe the same could work for the midis.
Minus 30 happens to work for me but the full range is down to minus 64 if necessary.
John

Osvaldo De Souza

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2018, 09:34:57 AM »
Hi John,

This is exactly what I am experiencing right now i.e. Bass Drum coinciding with the Bass Voice but the Midi File Song is using
" GS Format " instruments.

Will try suggestions received so far.

Regards
Oz

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2018, 09:47:05 PM »
I sometimes find on Genos the bass drum beat in a style coincides with the Bass voice, giving an exaggerated and laboured combined beat. In those cases simply  putting a negative value in the drum channel's low  EQ setting via the Mixer tames the thump of that drum.

I have a better suggestion for fixing this problem. Call up the style and go into the "Style Creator" then tab over to the EDIT tab.

Note: Sometimes the EDIT is "blacked out" and you can't get to it. Just hit the EXIT button and go back into the style creator again and you will have access to the EDIT tab. (It's a Yamaha thing!)

The default track is the RHY2 (perfect!). You then use the A & B keys to travel up and down playing each of the notes the drummer is playing. When you hear the Bass Drum you simply reduce the VALUE you see listed to a smaller number each time you hear the Bass Drum (you can use the Wheel to do this quickly). Then hit the EXIT button ONCE, and tab to the left once or twice until you see a SAVE option appear on one of the other Screens. Save the style to your USB with a name.   I know this sounds like a weird way to move around in order to save your work BUT it is the Yamaha way (duh).

I have had to do this a couple times already this week while creating a new custom style. Both the Cymbal and Rim Shot were way to loud. The great thing is I learned how do this when the Genos new drummer styles came out and began using this method originally to make them usable in my S950.

Regards
Drake
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 09:48:08 PM by DrakeM »

Offline pjd

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2018, 10:23:39 PM »
Is there a chart that I can refer to find out which number corresponds to " BASS DRUM " CYmbals, Snares etc etc.
The Midi File that I am using uses GS format instruments.

Hi Oz --

Any old Roland Sound Canvas manual will do. When I need to reference GS drums, I pull out my trusty old Roland DR-330 Dr. Synth user manual. Charts showing the drum maps are in the back.

Hope this helps -- pj

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2018, 05:44:38 AM »
Hi

Can't you go to style creator and  then go to drum edit.
Find out where the bass drum is in the kit and alter to your hearts content.
With Styles I find that the kick drum is always too loud and go into step edit and reduce the volume of the kick before recording.
Now you can simply go to drum edit and find out which piece of kit needs altering and save.
You can also go the Jorgan way or Mixmaster.

All the best
john
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2018, 04:16:05 PM »
Quoting JohnU
"Can't you go to style creator and  then go to drum edit" .

Yes on Genos you can go to Drum edit, or the method outlined by Drake can be used in Style Creator. On Genos the latter is made easier and more "sensible" via the Touch screen and changes to OS. These methods are fine if you want to make a new user style. But if you are in the middle of optimising a registration using a preset style you may not want to be sidetracked into style making at that point. I find cutting back on the Rhythm low EQ is much quicker IF it will do the job effectively and the changes made are preserved when you memorise the registration.

John
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 04:20:02 PM by jwyvern »

Offline jsb1999

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2018, 03:34:24 AM »
Another quick approach is to add a compressor effect to the Rhythm 2 channel.  Although you can't specifically target the Bass Drum, the compressor can reduce the loudest sounds, which is usually what you want.  I created a user effect with a large Ratio value for this purpose.

Offline Joe H

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2018, 04:37:22 AM »
I always recommend StyleMagic because it is so easy to use.

Go to Mixing Console select SInt and you can edit any drum notes.  Change the notes for a different percussion sound (you will hear them sound) and edit Note Velocities to adjust Volume. You can also adjust many other individual drum note parameters like Filter and adjust the Amplitude Envelope Attack, Decay1 and Decay2, and change the Pitch... all edits are applied to all Sections of the style. If you want to delete a drum note you can do that in the Channels Manager by selecting the note and StyleMagic will place it on a different channel so you can delete the single note.

Joe H
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 04:40:12 AM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html