Author Topic: USBs for the Genos  (Read 8075 times)

Audrey Turner

USBs for the Genos
« on: May 27, 2018, 05:28:39 AM »
Can anyone advise which 'USB / Portable Hard Drive' I should purchase for use with the Genos Keyboard.  I am currently using Windows 7 Professional on one PC and Windows 10 on another PC and occasionally they are 'coupled' on my wide screen for backup purposes.

Thanks in advance - Audrey Turner

Offline Pianoman

Re: USBs for the Genos
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2018, 05:47:23 AM »
Hello Audrey.

I believe that any 64GB USB will do. It would be advisable to format the stick in the Genos
itself, rather than on the PC.

More knowledgeable people might advise you differently though.

Best Regards.
Abby.

Offline panos

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2018, 06:17:31 AM »
I hope that also helps, Audrey.

Compatible USB Device List for Genos (As of Mar. 2018)

Yamaha have tested the devices listed below and believe them to work correctly with this instrument.Please note that these devices might be updated and new versions released which may stop them from workingcorrectly with this product.For more information on these devices including availability, please consult the device manufacturer.

https://uk.yamaha.com/en/support/docs_data/index.html?l=en&c=&k=genos

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline EileenL

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2018, 07:21:59 AM »
Hi Audrey,
  I am using a ScanDisk 64 GB which works fine for me. Do remember to format on keyboard before using.

Osvaldo De Souza

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2018, 01:27:36 AM »
28th May 2018

I refer to the COMPATIBLE USB DEVICE LIST (As of March 2018) for GENOS and would like to inform you that the
San Disk USB 3.0 32GB Model SDCZ48 gets very hot!!!!!

a) Is this normal???

b) Is it safe to continue using this USB on GENOS?

c) Anyone encountering this problem??

Thanks and regards
Oz

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2018, 06:09:39 AM »
I refer to the COMPATIBLE USB DEVICE LIST (As of March 2018) for GENOS and would like to inform you that the
San Disk USB 3.0 32GB Model SDCZ48 gets very hot!!!!!

Hi Oz,

I use the exact same SanDisk 'Ultra' device with my Tyros4 and it does get warm when connected, even if it is not being accessed.

However I would not describe it as hot, and certainly not very hot!  :o

It does the same when connected to a USB3 port on my computer, and if I do something that accesses it continuously for a while, such as running a virus check on it, it does get a bit warmer, but I still would not describe it as very hot!

I checked the current it was drawing using a USB tester and it is around 70mA on both the computer and T4, with the the occasional very brief spike to around 140 mA when writing to it.  At 5 V, 70 mA equates to around 350 mW of power.   I also checked a 4GB Sandisk USB 2 Cruzer Blade which doesn't get as warm, and this in comparison consumes around 20 mA of current. 

The 'Ultra' has been doing this since I purchased it a couple of years ago now and doesn't seem to have caused any problems to date.

Regards

Ian

Offline EileenL

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2018, 07:23:52 AM »
The new one I have is only USB 2 and dose not get hot at all. Genos only runs USB 2 anyway.

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2018, 08:48:42 AM »
The new one I have is only USB 2 and dose not get hot at all. Genos only runs USB 2 anyway.

Hi Eileen,

As you say, even in 2018 Yamaha still persist in using USB 2 even on their latest arrangers, which in practise should be fine since it ought to be more than fast enough for any keyboard requirements.

However, when it comes to backing up a USB drive to a computer, then if your computer has a USB 3 port, the transfer speed will be much faster with a USB 3 device.  So although when used on a keyboard, the device will be limited in speed by the slower USB 2 interface, it can still be worth using a USB 3 device.

Regards

Ian

Offline pjd

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2018, 10:49:34 PM »
Hi --

I'm currently using Kingston Data Traveler Elite G2 (DTEG2) 32GB. No problems with Genos and fast as heck when connected to the PC.

The DTEG2 is specified at 180MB/s read, 50MB/s write. I've given up the hit or miss approach of using unrated drives and only use drives where the speed is explicitly specified by the manufacturer.

The DTEG2 gets a little warm in use -- definitely not hot to the touch.

All the best -- pj

Offline Gloria

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2018, 06:26:28 AM »
HI PANO  -  THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR THAT LIST!   :)
"Music is the Universal Language"
PSR Performer Page

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2018, 06:51:10 AM »
Hi

Use usb sticks for the in and out stuff and get a terrabyte usb drive for storing long term stuff on and backing up your computers.
Put a 64 gig usb in the Genos undercarriage :)
That's the way to do it Mr Punch"!!! ;D :o
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 06:52:49 AM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

duals

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2018, 08:43:35 PM »
Just out of curiosity. What difference does it make if you format the stick on genos?

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2018, 09:07:36 PM »
I have never formatted a usb stick yet.
They all work just fine as they are.
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Osvaldo De Souza

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2018, 03:06:28 AM »
3rd June 2018

I have today ordered from AMAZON.CA the ' KINGSTON DIGITAL 32GB DATA TRAVELER ELITE G2 BLACK METAL CASING
FAST 180MB/s R, 70MB/W USB 3.1 FLASH DRIVE WITH LED LIGHT INDICATOR for CDN $ 34.14

Will format on GENOS and hope this will work.

I am not sure if this is the same as PJ's!!

Regards
Oz

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2018, 03:47:18 AM »
Hi
Yes , you probably have to format terrabyte or large book type drives drives, but surely for the purposes of loading sets and sounds/styles etc a usb stick is the job.

Large drives really for backups of main computers etc

Offline pjd

« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2018, 04:42:32 AM »
Hi OZ --

That's the one. Its been working quite well and I'm about to buy a third drive (putting money where my mouth is.  :) )

Have a good weekend -- pj
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 07:47:54 AM by pjd »

Offline panos

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2018, 06:50:15 AM »
Just out of curiosity. What difference does it make if you format the stick on genos?

Here is an article my friend about the benefits of formating a usb stick.
https://www.premiumusb.com/blog/benefits-of-formatting-usb-flash-drive

Remember never to have only one back up of your files,as John suggested.

Wellcome to the forum by the way!  :)

Audrey Turner

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2018, 08:02:32 AM »
Thank you everyone for your reply to my USB question, it would seem I have enough USBs & Portables already that can safely be used. In fact, most of my USBs with earlier versions of the Tyros keyboard work very well on the Genos, but I intend to use the Genos system only in the very near future and I will be getting a new USB because I too, think it is essential to format a USB on whatever device it is used for, particularly a keyboard, because if there is a future problem, it will be easier to solve knowing there isn't any other systems involved.

Thank you all again, your help is much appreciated.  Happy playing....

Audrey Turner

Audrey Turner

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2018, 09:55:35 PM »
Hello Everyone,

Re: USB sticks.  I've now purchased a small 32gb Sandisk Flash Drive USB3 (which should download quicker than the USB2) and it worked perfectly.  As the name suggests, it downloaded my User section in a 'flash' (about 2-3 seconds).  I  then chose some tunes to play and the first thing noticeable is a great improvement on the instrumental sounds of the Genos -  more professional I thought.  For those of you questioning "why  a USB should be formatted in the instrument at all" - this is exactly why, as it is now completely compatible with the Genos and will perform at its best,

Having said all this, after two hours of playing when I took the stick out, I was concerned at how warm it felt but on making enquiries, apparently nothing to worry about, it depends on the make/type of stick used. Hope this helps in some way.

Audrey T

« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 09:59:36 PM by Audrey Turner »

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2018, 11:35:38 AM »
Another thing or tip is never buy a usb stick with plastic male  plugin as one of mine broke away after so many in's and out's.
Get the metallic more sturdy usb plugin male socket. :)