Author Topic: Genos display  (Read 10588 times)

Offline PierreSW

Genos display
« on: May 21, 2018, 02:31:55 AM »
Hey!
Got this message by a friend.

Hello,

Sunny weather, yesterday playing family entertainment (Sthlm) in Swedish housing direction, a lot of people

Absolutely perfect except one (1) thing.

To see what's on Geno's display (regmem) at all, I had to put a towel over my head

lean me over the display to create some kind of shadow ...

It was even difficult to see which of the regma buttons (1-10) that lighted = active (= red),

even though my setting led light is set to the highest brightnes (= 3).

I had the impression that there would be a problem with Geno's display in SUNLIGHT.

With Tyros there was also a problem with this, but with Genos it's almost impossible to see anything at all,

Much in this also depends on the fact that in Genos the background color (for Regmem) is black and the text in white color.
In Tyros, on the other hand, it is a larger font for text.

My answer to him:
Yes, it is strange that there are no better screens on the GENOS 2018 flagship.
Itīs not everyone who is indoors all the time, sometimes you play outdoors,
and then I want to read on the screen, (I have asked for it before and then it seems that it was OK out in the sun) there is Tyros 5 more flexible even though. that the screen can be tilted.
It seems to be sluggish with the updates, waiting for the software to come up with Tyros 5 level at least, no info about when the next upgrade is coming,
Yamaha should better inform what is going on, and not be so secretive.

Should not have to go back to a Binder with all the lyrics ..
Greetings Pierre
YAMAHA Genos 2, YAMAHA MFC10, Bose L1 II-pa,Mixer T1 ToneMatch, ZUM STEEL.

Re: Genos display
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 04:13:41 AM »
Hi all,

I tested the Genos for a few weeks. The sound was great. But when I played my first open air party - a vintner party - I could not see anything on the screen in sunlight outside. In order to continue working with the Genos, I would have had to change everything to Ipad operation. That was not worth it to me - and so I kept my Tyros 5.
I'm wondering that no more members have noticed this problem. In spain, mexico, california etc are many more open air events with a lot of Sun.

Greetings
Siggi

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2018, 08:03:58 PM »
Hi all,

I tested the Genos for a few weeks. The sound was great. But when I played my first open air party - a vintner party - I could not see anything on the screen in sunlight outside. In order to continue working with the Genos, I would have had to change everything to Ipad operation. That was not worth it to me - and so I kept my Tyros 5.
I'm wondering that no more members have noticed this problem. In spain, mexico, california etc are many more open air events with a lot of Sun.

Greetings
Siggi

Many of us don't play outdoor gigs, it's mostly indoors for me out of the sun!
GENOS, SX900, Clavinova CVP 307, Korg Pa4x.........

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

Offline EileenL

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2018, 09:55:43 PM »
With weather in the UK up and down like a YoYo It is not wise to play outside.

Offline DerekA

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2018, 11:41:43 PM »
Too true. You are more likely to short circuit in the drizzle.
Genos

Offline Joe H

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2018, 12:16:15 AM »
Go buy a shade canopy... it will keep you out of the sun and rain.

;)

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Kaarlo von Freymann

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2018, 01:04:02 PM »
Hey!

......To see what's on Geno's display (regmem) at all, I had to put a towel over my head
lean me over the display to create some kind of shadow ...
It was even difficult to see which of the regma buttons (1-10) that lighted = active (= red),
even though my setting led light is set to the highest brightnes (= 3).
I had the impression that there would be a problem with Geno's display in SUNLIGHT.
With Tyros there was also a problem with this, but with Genos it's almost impossible to see anything at all,
Much in this also depends on the fact that in Genos the background color (for Regmem) is black and the text in white color.
In Tyros, on the other hand, it is a larger font for text.[/b][/i]

My answer to him:
Yes, it is strange that there are no better screens on the GENOS 2018 flagship.
Itīs not everyone who is indoors all the time, sometimes you play outdoors,
and then I want to read on the screen, (I have asked for it before and then it seems that it was OK out in the sun) there is Tyros 5 more flexible even though. that the screen can be tilted.
It seems to be sluggish with the updates, waiting for the software to come up with Tyros 5 level at least, no info about when the next upgrade is coming,
Yamaha should better inform what is going on, and not be so secretive.

Should not have to go back to a Binder with all the lyrics ..
Greetings Pierre

Pierre,
I very much agree with everything you say. Also the buttons even adjusted to max luminosity are hard to see.
The problems with the non tiltable  display have been discussed earlier on this site. Tilt like on Tyros does help, but my experience as a drone manufacturer needing to adjust military target drones on sunny shooting ranges is: Even the best lap top screens become useless  even under just a bright sky. 

Just had a garden gig with bright sunlight and with the cardboard  shade recommended  here you can manage.(the creator, Steven, kindly sent me the  exact dimensions)  Optimal neither for its looks nor for really good reading, but I could manage. But maybe only because I neither use the  song text display nor  read the notation page nor the reg bank info.  A big garden umbrella is the most elegant and reasonably efficient solution.  But if the site has none, the umbrella and the necessary concrete foot  will not fit into my Range Rover.
I have ordered a keyboard stand which will allow attaching a shade that will cover both the display and the buttons. Will post when I have used it in bright sunlight.   

Cheers

Kaarlo

roger bradbury

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2018, 03:16:29 PM »
Did an outdoor show on holiday Monday. used 2 pegs on a A4 black sheet of cardboard attached to music rest and worked well. Roger

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2018, 05:41:14 PM »
I’ve done a couple of outdoor mid afternoon gigs with the Genos.  Both venues had a canopy that covered and kept me in the shade and out of the sun.  I had no trouble viewing the Genos screen. :)
GENOS, SX900, Clavinova CVP 307, Korg Pa4x.........

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks