Author Topic: Registrations on S970  (Read 6750 times)

lilchris

Registrations on S970
« on: May 17, 2018, 07:57:04 AM »
I am having problems with making registrations with my S970. I had a bank of 8 registrations but decided to start a new bank so I followed Fred's video on creating a new bank, ie press upper B key when switching on.
I then made two registrations in this bank and saved the name, the trouble is it saved over the top of my existing bank so I lost those, fortunately no big deal. I thought maybe I went wrong  so tried to save the file and ended up with two the same name but one you can not edit or change the name. Anyway to cut a long story short I pressed function and reset files and registrations so now no banks are showing. I will try again tomorrow now but not sure where I am going wrong. It seems a strange file system,  I am used to files on a computer but the Yamaha system seems to be defeating me.

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively

Offline J. Larry

Re: Registrations on S970
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 08:29:17 AM »
I tend to agree.  It seems simple, and should be.  However, it can get confusing fast, especially if you’re not into the technical aspects of arrangers and figuring out all the possible options for registrations.  Some of us just want to play music and not have to push so many buttons.

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively, alanclare

Offline RoyceM

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 09:10:23 AM »
Not saying my method for making a new bank is the best, but it works for me.

I keep an empty bank named X.  When I want to create a new bank, I copy X and give it a new name.

Good luck.

- Royce
DGX-305, Roland E60, S900, S910, S975, Center Point Stereo Spacestation V.3, Bose L1 Compact
PSR Performer page

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 09:34:33 AM »
I am having problems with making registrations with my S970. I had a bank of 8 registrations but decided to start a new bank so I followed Fred's video on creating a new bank, ie press upper B key when switching on.
I then made two registrations in this bank and saved the name, the trouble is it saved over the top of my existing bank so I lost those, fortunately no big deal. I thought maybe I went wrong  so tried to save the file and ended up with two the same name but one you can not edit or change the name. Anyway to cut a long story short I pressed function and reset files and registrations so now no banks are showing. I will try again tomorrow now but not sure where I am going wrong. It seems a strange file system,  I am used to files on a computer but the Yamaha system seems to be defeating me.

Chris,

Take it slow and master only one thing at a time. You tried to do two things at once (create an empty bank, and save banks). Tackle the saving part first.

To save the existing bank of registrations:
1. Press the registration button (J on a Tyros, but it could be something else on a PSR).
2. Press the Save button.
3. Give the file a name, say Reg1.
4. Press OK.

Next, save the bank again to another name, like Reg2.

Next, rename a bank:
1. Press the registration button.
2. Press the Name button.
3. Press the button next to the file you want changed (eg, Reg1).
4. Change the name (eg, to Reg3).
5. OK

Now when you press the registration button, you should see Reg2 and Reg3 as your registrations.

Next, you can try deleting one of them.

Once you've mastered the file operations, then you can start working on real registrations.

Set yourself a procedure you follow. As Royce posted, you can start with a blank bank. But if you're like me, I never bother. I just memorize over an existing registration. Just develop a procedure you're comfortable with.

Hope this helps,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline andyg

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2018, 07:45:44 AM »
You might like to download and print out the 'bomb proof' step by step instructions found on my website. Go to the downloads page and scroll down a bit. You'll find the files for Registrations, creating a proper 'Blank Bank' (not just doing a reset) and using Registration Sequences.

You'll find them much easier to understand than the instructions in the owners' manuals! :)

Once you've got used to the procedures, you'll see why registrations are the most powerful feature on the keyboard!
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

The following users thanked this post: alanclare, frozzers

lilchris

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2018, 07:55:04 AM »
Thanks everyone for the advice. I have now found 2 sustain  type pedals, I recently bought a Fc7 for volume but I want to use a pedal for sustain and another function, not decided what will be best for me yet. I intend to make a setup registration first with the pedals setup. I am managing without the registration buttons by using the Music finder for now. The keyboard must have been a demo machine in the shop, probably why I got it at a good price, because it had registrations on it already with shop members names on it which I deleted. I made up one bank of registrations fo different songs I have played for years but it is no big loss. I am still having fun and enjoying myself finding my way round this keyboard, it has really inspired me to play more. Thanks again, I will be back if I do not master it, now back to the lessons section and read it again, and watch more of Fred's videos.

lilchris

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2018, 08:09:43 AM »
Thanks andyg I have looked at your site, like some of the other stuff you have too especially the Brian Sharp video playing Caravan, he was a hero of mine from my Yamaha HS6 days, thanks again i will download the pdf's.

DonM

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2018, 08:29:32 AM »
The most important thing--after you make a Registration and save it, YOU MUST ALSO SAVE THE BANK.  If you change registration banks without saving it, you will lose the changes.

Offline Paula

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2018, 08:51:46 AM »
 :) :)
 yes make sure you save it
 tab to user
 edit and deleat  EDIT TAB bottom of screen
 all reg should be black
 dont touch nothing
 put the next style your going to use
 tie to reg and name
 continue,

« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 08:53:43 AM by Paula »
You Tube
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1xEYzY5g_0Nd5G9TkMY6mA/videos
Genos 1,Tyros 4 and Bose S1 Pro, Bose L1 Mod 2 w/tonematch
PSR S970

Offline RoyceM

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2018, 02:08:04 PM »
I want to use a pedal for sustain and another function, not decided what will be best for me yet.

FYI:  Just this week I purchased a Yamaha FC5 pedal to use for switching various functions with my foot. It was better rated than others I saw, and it's sturdy metal with a good rubber underside, small footprint, and low profile...and very reasonably priced at many sellers.

https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-FC5-Compact-Portable-Keyboards/dp/B00005ML71/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1526619677&sr=8-1&keywords=fc5+pedal

- Royce
DGX-305, Roland E60, S900, S910, S975, Center Point Stereo Spacestation V.3, Bose L1 Compact
PSR Performer page

lilchris

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2018, 08:47:39 AM »
Hello everyone, tonight I managed to setup a volume pedal and a sustain pedal. The default for the pedals on the S970 is no 1 for sustain so I put the FC7 volume pedal on number 2. I then registered the settings to the first button and called the bank Setup1. I then tried Freds new bank idea, ie press the last "B" while switching on but it confused me, so I remembered what Fred had said, I then made another bank the same but changed the name to Setup2. I have since used that bank and changed it, I have put two of my fav settings on button 1  and button 8 and renamed it to My fav songs and that has worked. I have switched off and back on and it sets up with the last used bank, the only problem with that is the volume pedal is not set up, I then have to go to banks and press the Setup1 bank and press button 1. Is there anyway to make the keyboard load Setup1 by default, I suppose the answer is to load that bank before you switch off. Any way thanks for the tips at least  I am getting somewhere now, I still need to decide which way to arrange my registrations. I do not have a big playlist at this moment, having only getting my first arranger keyboard  for a long time this time last year, that was a Ew400, my previous Yamaha arranger being a Tyros2, a few years ago. I think I had a Korg arranger for a short time after but could not get my head round that one even though I was a lot younger then, back to Yamaha what I know.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 08:22:46 AM by lilchris »