Author Topic: T5 multiple monitors?  (Read 2697 times)

MrRich

T5 multiple monitors?
« on: April 17, 2020, 01:53:41 PM »
Hello,

I'm currently playing thru a powered JBL 10" sub and two powered JBL MkII 6" monitors and would like to add two more monitors which will be volume controlled from the master volume control knob on the keyboard. I prefer NOT to add any type of external mixing device(s). Unfortunately, the keyboard AUX out jacks on the back panel will not support volume control from the master volume control knob for monitors using these plugs. Any simple answer to this dilemma? Appreciated!

Offline RONBO

Re: T5 multiple monitors?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2020, 01:59:30 PM »
Hello Mr Rich

You might wish to try plugging the monitors into the headphone jack. Then set the board up to hear through the speakers you are already using and the new speakers at the same time.

Regards

Ron. and stay safe

PSR Performer Page                                  IT'S EASY TO BE THE SHIP'S CAPTAIN WHEN THE  SEAS ARE CALM

Proud Genos2 owner

Former boards  PSR2100, PSR 910, TYROS 4,  TYROS 5 and Genos

Offline overover

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2020, 02:16:59 PM »
Hi MrRich,

yes, as already mentioned by Ron, you can use the headphones jack to connect an additional pair of active monitor speakers.

You need a, so called, "Insert cable" (6,3 mm Stereo phone plug > 2 * 6,3 mm Mono phone plugs). And you have to make sure that the Headphone Switch is set to "ON":

[Function] > [H] Utility > Config 2 > 1 Line Out (Main) > ON

Best regards,
Chris

« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 02:27:44 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

MrRich

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2020, 03:02:33 PM »
Hi MrRich,

yes, as already mentioned by Ron, you can use the headphones jack to connect an additional pair of active monitor speakers.

You need a, so called, "Insert cable" (6,3 mm Stereo phone plug > 2 * 6,3 mm Mono phone plugs). And you have to make sure that the Headphone Switch is set to "ON":

[Function] > [H] Utility > Config 2 > 1 Line Out (Main) > ON

Best regards,
Chris

Thank you Ron and Chris!

When using the "insert cable" in the phone jack all connected speakers will balance with the keyboard controllers as if the keyboard is still seeing only 2 monitoring speakers? In other words the two right and the two left monitors will need to be balanced to each other externally as the keyboard will not be able to differentiate the 4 channels separately...only R & L...correct? Thanks again.

Offline overover

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2020, 03:31:58 PM »
Thank you Ron and Chris!

When using the "insert cable" in the phone jack all connected speakers will balance with the keyboard controllers as if the keyboard is still seeing only 2 monitoring speakers? In other words the two right and the two left monitors will need to be balanced to each other externally as the keyboard will not be able to differentiate the 4 channels separately...only R & L...correct? Thanks again.

Yes, MrRich, you connect one pair of monitors (e. g. your JBL speakers) to the Line Out Main L and R jacks (as usual), and simultaneously you can have connected an additional pair of monitors to the two Mono plugs of the Insert cable (connected to the Headphones jack). The Stereo output signal at the Headphones jack is alwas the same as the signal at the Line Out Main L and R jacks. Only the electrical values (output voltage and impedance) differ slightly. But normally, every active speaker system should also work properly with the Headphones output.

To balance the two monitor systems, the Volume knobs on each speaker must be used in this case. The global Volume can be controlled by the Master Volume dial on the Tyros5.

Note: In normal cases, it is NOT recommended to play back the music on two different Monitor systems simultaneously. I recommend listening to only ONE speaker system at a time (and switching off the other one).

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 03:47:25 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

MrRich

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2020, 05:49:37 PM »
Yes, MrRich, you connect one pair of monitors (e. g. your JBL speakers) to the Line Out Main L and R jacks (as usual), and simultaneously you can have connected an additional pair of monitors to the two Mono plugs of the Insert cable (connected to the Headphones jack). The Stereo output signal at the Headphones jack is alwas the same as the signal at the Line Out Main L and R jacks. Only the electrical values (output voltage and impedance) differ slightly. But normally, every active speaker system should also work properly with the Headphones output.

To balance the two monitor systems, the Volume knobs on each speaker must be used in this case. The global Volume can be controlled by the Master Volume dial on the Tyros5.

Note: In normal cases, it is NOT recommended to play back the music on two different Monitor systems simultaneously. I recommend listening to only ONE speaker system at a time (and switching off the other one).

Best regards,
Chris

Thank you!

Ideally, I was trying to capture a more multi-directional sound experience by adding additional speakers with the hope of designating certain channels for each speaker. Some years ago, while at a family wedding event, I had the fortune of listening to a live performance being played with a keyboard (don't recall the make or model). The keyboard player had his sound stage set up to reproduce sounds as if they had realistic separation. When the strings played that was on one side. When the horns played that was on the other. The guitar and piano sounds were center stage front, while percussion was in the rear. I was always under the impression that my T5 could do this by means of the additional jacks at the back of the keyboard and then assigning channels to the various speakers.

Yamaha's own Tyros and Genos demos on Youtube show their keyboard players playing through multiple speakers. I'm sure these guys are doing everything to get as much realism as possible out of their performances, even if it is at an added cost. Is there an external controller they might be using to enhance the sound separation of their keyboard voices as might be experienced in a live, multi-instrument performance?

I haven't purchased the additional monitors yet but only will if I can add to what I already have. I enjoy the JBL's immensely and would expand using additional JBL monitors to maintain sound consistency. Thanks again!

Offline Graham UK

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2020, 06:31:01 PM »
When connecting more than one pair of speakers, one thing never mentioned is different speaker brands may be internally wired differently so the second pair may be out of phase to the main pair so you can get frequency cancellations.
Best to keep with same manufacture where possible.
DGX670