Author Topic: Moving YEM database to a new PC  (Read 7148 times)

Offline anandmaloo

Moving YEM database to a new PC
« on: May 02, 2018, 10:51:07 PM »
Hi,

I am about to change my PC. How do I transfer all my database of YEM to the new PC without disturbing the MSB LSB etc. Mighty worried.

Please advise.

Regards

Anand

Offline Styles2psr

Re: Moving YEM database to a new PC
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2018, 11:11:40 PM »
Hi,

I'm not sure but i think it's more easier if you download the latest version of YEM on your new PC,
and then import your ppf-files all over again.

Regards, Jan.

Offline Joe H

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2018, 11:19:04 PM »
I would ageree with Jan.  It's less problematic and not so difficult to Import all you packs again.

But if you really want to do that... call Yamaha Tech Support and ask them, they should have some insight into the matter.

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline metcam

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2018, 02:49:52 AM »
Hi,

I am about to change my PC. How do I transfer all my database of YEM to the new PC without disturbing the MSB LSB etc. Mighty worried.

Please advise.

Regards

Anand

The only way that I Know is saving all packs as ppf or cpf and remember(write on pice of paper) on which positions was each of packs.

When you load packs into new YEM they need to go on same positions : 0  ,  1  ,  2,   etc

regards
Curent Instruments:  PSR A-5000
Previus instruments:SX-900,GENOS,PSR-A3000,PSR9000,Tyros2,Tyros3,TYROS5,psr2000,psr2100,psr1500,psr530,psr OR700,DX7,DX11,V50,DX21.
KORG:pa800,KORG PA-900,Triton Extreme,Triton rack,.KORG X3,Roland G600.Roland

Offline Joe H

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2018, 03:00:01 AM »
The only way that I Know is saving all packs as ppf or cpf and remember(write on pice of paper) on which positions was each of packs.

When you load packs into new YEM they need to go on same positions : 0  ,  1  ,  2,   etc

regards

Yes, I think that is important too. Or make a note of each packs LSB number so you can re-create a compatible Installation file from your new computer.

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline valimaties

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2018, 05:02:52 PM »
Hi,

Please advise.

Regards

Anand

I don't know if it's working, but it should...
Install YEM on new PC. This installation will create a folder named "Expansion Manager" on "%LocalAppData%\Yamaha" location (usually on C:\Users\<YourUserName>\AppData\Local\Yamaha). Copy this folder, as it is, from old PC to new PC. That's all, it has to work. When you open new installed YEM, you have to be able to work with the same configuration as it was on old PC.

Regards,
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos

The following users thanked this post: pjd

Offline zionip

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2018, 10:13:04 PM »
I don't know if it's working, but it should...
Install YEM on new PC. This installation will create a folder named "Expansion Manager" on "%LocalAppData%\Yamaha" location (usually on C:\Users\<YourUserName>\AppData\Local\Yamaha). Copy this folder, as it is, from old PC to new PC. That's all, it has to work. When you open new installed YEM, you have to be able to work with the same configuration as it was on old PC.

Regards,
Vali

What Vali described is totally correct. 

You need to update / install the latest version of YEM on your old PC first.  The current version is 2.5.2:
https://usa.yamaha.com/files/download/software/2/312652/yem_v252_win.zip

Then you copy recursively (or drag) "C:\Users\<YourUserName\AppData\Local\Yamaha" folder into a USB flash drive from your old PC.  This takes care of all the installed expansion packs for you.  Please note that by default Windows Explorer does not show AppData under "C:\Users\<YourUserName", you have to type explicitly the path in order to be able to get into that folder.

You then install the same version of YEM on your new PC, which will create "C:\Users\<YourUserName\AppData\Local\Yamaha\Expansion Manager" folder. 

Then insert the USB flash drive into your new PC and copy / drag the 'Yamaha' folder to "C:\Users\<YourUserName\AppData\Local" folder and overwrite the current subdirectories and files.

Thanks,
Paul
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 10:16:22 PM by zionip »

Offline valimaties

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2018, 10:20:57 PM »
Thanks Paul for confirming my intuition :D

As I studied this application, I was 99% sure that will work, but you know, 1% had to be uncertain :)

BTW, this could be a simple operation that I should programming in my YEM Content Explorer  ;) I think I will make it :D

Best luck and regards,
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline metcam

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2018, 02:18:05 AM »
Thank Vali and Paul.

I realy learned from your posts.

Thanks again.

Regards.
Curent Instruments:  PSR A-5000
Previus instruments:SX-900,GENOS,PSR-A3000,PSR9000,Tyros2,Tyros3,TYROS5,psr2000,psr2100,psr1500,psr530,psr OR700,DX7,DX11,V50,DX21.
KORG:pa800,KORG PA-900,Triton Extreme,Triton rack,.KORG X3,Roland G600.Roland

Offline anandmaloo

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2018, 05:32:30 PM »
Thank you so much Vali and Paul for the detailed reply. I am so relaxed after reading this otherwise I had almost dropped the idea of upgrading my PC

Thanks once again

Regards

Anand

Offline zionip

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2018, 02:22:46 AM »
Thanks Paul for confirming my intuition :D

As I studied this application, I was 99% sure that will work, but you know, 1% had to be uncertain :)

Vali

Hi Vali,

I actually tested my procedure in duplicating YEM 2.5.2 from one Windows 10 Pro laptop to a second Windows 10 Pro laptop, and it worked as expected 100% - when I invoked YEM 2.5.2 on the second laptop for the first time, YEM 2.5.2 showed exactly the same installed expansion packs as the first laptop.  I was able to generate the Genos_PackIntallData.cpi file (file extension .cpi due to third party packs, .ppi for Yamaha expansion packs only).

Thanks,
Paul

Offline valimaties

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2018, 03:51:22 AM »
Ok. I already start backup function in my YEM Content Explorer software.

Regards,
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos