Author Topic: Thinking about going from S770 to Tyros 5  (Read 5019 times)

Offline DerekA

Thinking about going from S770 to Tyros 5
« on: May 02, 2018, 08:10:24 AM »
I'm a home player.

With so many people moving on to Genos, there are some bargains to be had on used Tyros 5. So I'm seriously tempted to trade my S770 - which I am very fond of - up to a Tyros. I do love the Genos but it's more than double the price and I'm not sure I can justify that..

I'm sure at some point someone posted a file comparing voices and styles across the PSR / Tyros lines. It would be useful to be able to see which - if any - voices are on S770 but not on T5. If anyone has a copy of that file could they repost it please? (I know I can look through the data list but I'm being lazy!)
Genos

Offline frajag

Re: Thinking about going from S770 to Tyros 5
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2018, 09:57:44 AM »
I don't have a comparison of the voices but you can be sure it will be a big step up. I did that a few months ago. I sold my 950 to a musician whose PSR 2000 died and bought a Tyros 5 which had just been traded in on a Genos. It was used at home and was in perfect condition. I paid $2300 CAN (=$1790 US) for the T5 and TRS-MS01 amplifier and speakers including taxes. I think I did well considering the original price and condition. I am enjoying it immensely.

Offline Doghouse Riley

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2018, 05:31:11 PM »
There's some bargains to be had.
I sold my twenty year old  PSR1000 and stand on e-Bay (using floppy discs on which to record was a bit antiquated) and bought a Tyros 5 with the speakers from  a music store chain on e-Bay.  This was three weeks ago. It came with free postage. (The purchaser of my PSR 1000 had to pay £46 for the carriage when I sent it to them).
The Tyros was advertised as second-hand, but there wasn't a mark on it. It's immaculate as are the speakers.  Not only that,  I found it had never been registered with Yamaha as having been sold.
Because they'd used a generic photo of one  in one of their their showrooms without declaring such, as the photo showed it on a stand, I made them give me a stand with it.
It would appear that even some retailers aren't aware of the eBay rules.

I thought £1600, with the speakers, a stand, free postage and a two year guarantee, a fair price,  I'm well pleased with it. I've given them a "five star rating."
I would imagine there's a few "demo" Tyros 5s around in showrooms now which they want to clear.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 05:32:40 PM by Doghouse Riley »
"I don't mind if you don't like my manners! I don't like 'em myself, they're pretty bad. I grieve over them on long winter evenings." (Philip Marlowe)

Offline DerekA

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2018, 04:32:22 AM »
Thanks for the replies.

I found the list I was after, originally posted by Voodoo (Uli)

https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php?topic=40823.0
Genos

ed mc

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2018, 03:45:28 AM »
10 months ago I went from a S950 to a Tyros 5. The S950 was great but the Tyros 5 is so much better with more styles and voices and an overall better sound. I am stlll finding more of the features of the Tyros 5 and am very happy to have made the change.

Regards,

Ed

Offline DerekA

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2018, 04:47:57 AM »
Thank you Ed, I am planning to make a decision either way this week.
Genos

Offline ton37

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2018, 12:22:21 AM »
Hi, a half year ago I bought a used Tyros 5 (76). I was in love with the sound and quality and its musical potency. It was my first Yamaha Keyboard. The only problem was that it was to large to 'build in' my 'home-studio'. That's why I sold it 2/3 months ago and during that time I was looking for a T5-61. But those are very rare to get one for a reasonable price. Then I recently tried a Genos for only 1 hour. For sure, it is a musical highend keyboard. But... for MY own needs I remembered that the T5 had all I wanted (and more) and I remembered that I was very impressed by the sound-quality of the Tyros 5. That good feeling I have to cherish, and therefore I did a little renovation in my 'homestudio' to get the T5-76 fit in there.

A few days ago I bought a mint Tyros 5-76 for a very nice price and yes, the good feelings of this keyboard were still there. I'm a happy Yammie again  ;).

Whatever you choose or have or can obtain, if it feels OK for YOU, cherish that feeling and be happy and satisfied!
Regards, Ton 8)

My best regards,
Ton

Offline DerekA

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2018, 12:55:48 AM »
Whatever you choose or have or can obtain, if it feels OK for YOU, cherish that feeling and be happy and satisfied!

Very wise words Tom.

In the end, I did buy a preowned T5-76. I am still just getting used to it - I think it needs to be played more "boldly" than my S770 did, if that makes any sense, which will take a bit of time to relearn.

The only thing I *really* feel I am missing out on from the Genos is the CFX / C7 piano.
Genos

selbalicious

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2018, 08:20:01 AM »
Interesting!
Long time lurker here.

I'm about ready to offer up my nearly-mint Tyros 5-76 for sale to try to turn it around to a Montage 7.
Anybody know rough used prices for T5-76?

Just curious...

Kevin B. Selby