Author Topic: Name Just One Or Two Things That Made You Buy A Genos  (Read 62813 times)

Offline Gloria

Re: Name Just One Or Two Things That Made You Buy A Genos
« Reply #150 on: February 06, 2019, 07:10:53 PM »
Dinapoli, thanks for sharing your video, this is a beautiful song & beautiful scenery!  Your voice is great and the sounds you are getting with your new Genos are beautiful!   :)

Gloria
"Music is the Universal Language"
PSR Performer Page

pfeuh

« Reply #151 on: February 07, 2019, 12:43:26 AM »
Hello,

After nearly 45 years of playing guitar, I had a desire of an arranger. I went to a shop, the best of all was the genos. So I bough it.

Regards,

Pfeuh

Offline dinapoli

« Reply #152 on: February 08, 2019, 02:15:24 PM »
Thank you Gloria,  The Genos is a great keyboard.  It is a great tool to experiment, to change old songs and write new songs.
I am taking the liberty to post one more.  This is an improvisation around "The good the bad and the ugly" 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ub3I4Wag46g&t=43s

Offline GlenC

« Reply #153 on: February 08, 2019, 04:50:48 PM »
Because Technics didn't make the KN8000   ;)

Sorry but at the time I thought Technics had a better sound quality than the Yamaha equivalent.  I only bucked up courage a couple of months ago to part exchange my KN7000 for a Genos as the KN was showing its age.  It would have been interesting to have compared the Genos to the latest Technics keyboard offering if they had stayed in the Musical Instrument market.

Glen
Genos 2, Cubase 13 Pro, Helix Floor, Ex KN7000 owner

Bachus

« Reply #154 on: February 08, 2019, 06:29:49 PM »

One picture says more the 10.000 words
But sound speaks for itselves.

The following users thanked this post: KeyboardByBiggs

Offline Tommy 73

« Reply #155 on: February 08, 2019, 07:37:28 PM »

But sound speaks for itselves.
looking good Bachus... I think it is becoming aprrant the strengths of the Genos sound engine compared to the PA4X, what I am also interested to know bachus how would you compare the over all fidelity coming from the Genos (DAC & preamp etc) compared to your old Pa4x in your sitting through you monitoring system... as I was blown away by the Montage fidelity compared to the PA4X which made life tricky for me to make them fit together (PA4X & Montage) in the same mix landscape.... incidentally what are you using for your monitoring system + any outboards ?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 11:48:11 AM by Tommy 73 »
Yamaha Montage M8x : Korg PA5X 76  : Roland Jupiter 80 : Waldorf STVC : Roland Integra 7 : Waldorf Streichfett : Focal Trio6 ST6 : Studio Outboards/RME Audio Interface/A&H Mixer :

« Reply #156 on: February 08, 2019, 10:40:49 PM »

YeeeeeeaaaaHHHHHHH! :)
Check Out My YouTube Channel! https://goo.gl/edbXFS

CindyG

« Reply #157 on: February 09, 2019, 03:39:49 AM »
Nice setup, Bachus! What stand are you using?

Bachus

« Reply #158 on: February 09, 2019, 11:51:32 AM »
Nice setup, Bachus! What stand are you using?

Its a K&M table stand.
They have 2 different ones on offer, with a huge amount of accesoires.
Both would work well for double and tripple setups..
I also have an ipad stand, sheetmusic stand as well as a laptop stand for this stand..

Bachus

« Reply #159 on: February 09, 2019, 12:22:50 PM »
Quote from: Tommy 73
looking good Bachus... I think it is becoming aprrant the strengths of the Genos sound engine compared to the PA4X, what I am also interested to know bachus how would you compare the over all fidelity coming from the Genos (DAC & preamp etc) compared to your old Pa4x in your sitting through you monitoring system
Genos and my modx are where it comes to fidellity on a whole different level as the pa4x. Only Kronos and Kurzweil Forte come close.. its much more about the small little details in the Genos sounds.. pa4x sounds are much more straightforward... they still sound good but somehow miss the little intrigues and details of the Yamaha sounds.. the strength of the yamaha sound is not as much in the engine but in how the preset voices are programmed. Thats where Yamaha is unparralelled.

Quote from: Tommy 73
... as I was blown away by the Montage fidelity compared to the PA4X which made life tricky for me to make them fit together (PA4X & Montage) in the same mix landscape.... incidentally what are you using for your monitoring system + any outboards ?

I have some new monitors on back order, sold my yamaha hs8.. only using a high quallity sennheiser studio headset..

There is another thing, i want to share with you..
My opinion about the sound difference between Genos and MODX..

They are essentially 2 whole different beasts..
While sonnically they are on the same level..
The soundcharacteristics of the instruments are different..
Not (again) because of the engine, there are differneces, but they are not the main reason

Its because of how the voices are programmed..
The Genos is programmed to use single voices that sound as realistic as possible..
The modx is programmed to sound wide and majestic, for multiple layer sounds..
With a superknob structure that can slowly or on a whimp change the whole soundspectrum..
To be creative and createyour own music..

Both these things require different setups and presets..

So you basically need to filter this out when comparing the pa4x to the montage/modx.
Its a different sound at its core. Same goes for the Genos..
To my ears and liking, the Genos outperforms the pa4x in pretty much all aspects..
Except the acoustic piano sounds, and the synth capabilities for programming your own sounds..

But then, for acoustic piano, i use the modx.
I prefer them even above the kronos.. both the CFF as well as the Imperial..

The following users thanked this post: Tommy 73

Offline Tommy 73

« Reply #160 on: February 09, 2019, 02:01:07 PM »
Thanks Bachus for your input there... i do follow your analysis on all things keyboard relateded over the years here and on other forums and have found great value in your writings... so when you moved to the Genos I did take "Note"... i have had some down time with Genos in a shop (Which is a 6 hrs round trip for me) but the only real way to compare with what i am use to would be to try Genos at home in a familiar set up... so interestingly the other day a dealer here in the UK started advertising a 10 day home trial with Genos (free of charge) with no obligation to buy (only carriage needs to be covered) which I am very tempted to do and of course included in my thoughts has been your move to Genos from the PA4X which I still have (value noted above) so why I think this home trial with Genos will happen very soon I am holding back for the recently talked about OS update for Genos (if this materializes) which will help in my decision which way I choose to go.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 07:05:44 PM by Tommy 73 »
Yamaha Montage M8x : Korg PA5X 76  : Roland Jupiter 80 : Waldorf STVC : Roland Integra 7 : Waldorf Streichfett : Focal Trio6 ST6 : Studio Outboards/RME Audio Interface/A&H Mixer :

beykock

« Reply #161 on: February 10, 2019, 06:09:13 AM »
People who like the Genos might decide to buy one.

Others, like me, love the Tyros or the PSR S serie and prefer not to " upgrade " - for many reasons -.

IMHO :
The audiance wants to hear and to see a great musician, a  good singer and a great entertainer.

The audiance does not come for the arranger keyboard but for the show and expects great entertainment only.
The audiance also expects " the artist " has reliable instruments and sound equipment.

We are all convinced Yamaha are manufacturing reliable musical instruments and equipment.

The public however is not interested in any arranger keyboard brand.
Only the owner and other keyboard players are.😸

Babette
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 06:48:52 AM by beykock »

The following users thanked this post: dinapoli

Bachus

« Reply #162 on: February 10, 2019, 07:21:46 AM »

Others, like me, love the Tyros or the PSR S serie and prefer not to " upgrade " - for many reasons -.

IMHO :
The audiance wants to hear and to see a great musician, a  good singer and a great entertainer.

The audiance does not come for the arranger keyboard but for the show and expects great entertainment only.
The audiance also expects " the artist " has reliable instruments and sound equipment.

We are all convinced Yamaha are manufacturing reliable musical instruments and equipment.

Babette

Why defend your choice here?

Murat

« Reply #163 on: February 10, 2019, 11:26:02 AM »
1. Because my wife told me to.
2. I agreed with her.

;) Stijn

Love it Stijn!  ;D

Bachus

« Reply #164 on: February 10, 2019, 11:36:03 AM »
Love it Stijn!  ;D

Me too..

My wife has no opinion on this as long as i pay it from my monthly allowance...

Murat

« Reply #165 on: February 10, 2019, 11:37:38 AM »
Me too..

My wife has no opinion on this as long as i pay it from my monthly allowance...

Bachus! Your monthly allowance? Good one mate  ;D

Offline Del B

« Reply #166 on: February 10, 2019, 12:00:16 PM »
What's Monthly Allowance  lol :P ;D

beykock

« Reply #167 on: February 10, 2019, 12:18:42 PM »
 I am not defending my choice since I am not a gigger, Bachus.😉

The original question of this thread came from Pianoman.
Pianoman is a great pro gigger in Spain.

As far as I am informed Pianoman is a Tyros3 player and maybe, I am not sure, he has the intention to order a Genos.
Only Pianoman can give you the answer.

Babette

Offline Toril S

« Reply #168 on: February 10, 2019, 04:36:31 PM »
I know an entertainer who still gigs with Tyros 2. He had Tyros 1 many years. He is very popular here!
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Bachus

« Reply #169 on: February 10, 2019, 07:20:10 PM »
What's Monthly Allowance  lol :P ;D

Thats whats left after i hand my monthly salary to my wife..
I get an allowance, like kids get pocket money..
But its essentially the same..  its the money i can spend on anything i want...

Offline Del B

« Reply #170 on: February 10, 2019, 07:46:11 PM »
LOL Bachus I knew what it was really, I was just trying to be funny it's non existent here lol

Bachus

« Reply #171 on: February 10, 2019, 08:12:50 PM »
LOL Bachus I knew what it was really, I was just trying to be funny it's non existent here lol

Well to be honest..
My wife runs the household..

And she has got her own allowance for personall pleasures..
And then there is our savings, about which we decide together..
We are pretty emancipated,..

fabpianista

« Reply #172 on: February 19, 2019, 04:23:56 PM »
1. Acoustic guitar sounds (all the voices, to be honest);
2. Quality of sound out-of-the-box.

Offline dinapoli

« Reply #173 on: February 23, 2019, 02:36:15 PM »

IMHO :

Babette
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 06:48:52 AM by beykock »

Yes, the audience come for the Show but the Entertainer needs good tools, but most of all, the performer has to feel comfortable in using the tools.

These days many great midi files and karaoke files are available, what makes one stand out?

I am old enough, to have owned a DX7 and a Farfisa.  Those days we made music with those keyboard and a little drum machine.  The DJ came out we lost ground.  The advance of the Arrangers technology leveled the field a little.  All this technology created a greater competition.  These days and as usual, the people come because they like you, for what you do!  As you say they couldn't care less what you use, yes it's true but I will choose a GENOS over the old DX7 anytime!

Offline valder

« Reply #174 on: February 24, 2019, 07:55:45 PM »
Friend
I also had G800, then G1000, I remember the G1000 timbres and styles were fantastic, then came the G70 that at the time here in Brazil was more famous than the yamaha, today I have a Genos, which is a very advanced technology and in the moment exceeds the current Roland models

DonM

« Reply #175 on: February 25, 2019, 05:12:14 PM »
The Roland EA-7 is quite good, but more of a middle-line unit.
I have Korg PA4X, Roland EA-7 in addition to the Yammy.
PA4X is by far my favorite, but they all are fantastic!

Offline Denn

« Reply #176 on: February 26, 2019, 11:44:25 PM »
Hello, I have posted quite a few times on forums; there is absolutely nothing I like about the Genos! I have had three tablets and two phones and the touch screens are abominable. I found the same on the Genos when I played them. Live Knobs? I only have two hands and those are needed to  play. The knobs on my S770 never return to the start position. The sliders on my T4 are jumpy so OK for getting within range then resort to the buttons for fine tuning.
Finally, for this post, sound is a matter of opinion. I play my T4 and I play with my T4 and the sounds are great. No one in my audiences would be able to tell the difference between a Genos, Tyros or, sad to say, a top of the range Casio. It is my playing and my settings that people listen to. I set up my registrations BEFORE I go out so no need to wiggle knobs or push sliders on the fly.
Having tried the Genos a few times I am still of the opinion that if it came on the market at $100 I still would not buy one. I love my T4.  ;D
Regards,Den.
Love knitting dolls

Offline Toril S

« Reply #177 on: February 27, 2019, 08:52:07 AM »
And I agree fully!
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Murat

« Reply #178 on: February 27, 2019, 09:46:10 AM »
I am one happy Genos owner. I am a convert from Korg and previously Roland.

One thing I noticed that the Tyros owners try really hard to convince themselves that Tyros is as good as Genos; they say the audience wouldn't be able to tell the difference blah blah....

No! Genos is much better!  ;D

Offline Toril S

« Reply #179 on: February 27, 2019, 09:55:12 AM »
But the touch screen interface is not for everyone.
Toril S

and PSR-47.

beykock

« Reply #180 on: February 27, 2019, 12:45:30 PM »
Being a T5 lover, it has never been my intention to say the Tyros is better than the Genos.

Both highend arranger keyboars are made by the same manufacturer and have very good features and a great sound ... but both of them are different " beasts ".

All depends on the applications and the needs of the player.

Babette

Offline Toril S

« Reply #181 on: February 27, 2019, 12:53:26 PM »
Excactly Babette!
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #182 on: February 27, 2019, 08:24:05 PM »
Hello, I have posted quite a few times on forums; there is absolutely nothing I like about the Genos! I have had three tablets and two phones and the touch screens are abominable. I found the same on the Genos when I played them. Live Knobs? I only have two hands and those are needed to  play. The knobs on my S770 never return to the start position. The sliders on my T4 are jumpy so OK for getting within range then resort to the buttons for fine tuning.
Finally, for this post, sound is a matter of opinion. I play my T4 and I play with my T4 and the sounds are great. No one in my audiences would be able to tell the difference between a Genos, Tyros or, sad to say, a top of the range Casio. It is my playing and my settings that people listen to. I set up my registrations BEFORE I go out so no need to wiggle knobs or push sliders on the fly.
Having tried the Genos a few times I am still of the opinion that if it came on the market at $100 I still would not buy one. I love my T4.  ;D
Regards,Den.

Isn't it great that no one's forcing you to buy one?

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline hammer

« Reply #183 on: February 27, 2019, 09:32:22 PM »
I bought mine out of curiosity.  Kept it about 3 weeks before selling it.
Went back to my Ketron SD7.

Deane

Offline Toril S

« Reply #184 on: February 27, 2019, 10:23:02 PM »
The Genos is a fantastic keyboard, but the Tyros is more practical for me. And we can get a little emotional about our keyboards. That is all right, music is about emotions😀
Toril S

and PSR-47.

khudson7

« Reply #185 on: February 28, 2019, 01:33:45 PM »
Played a Classical musical instrument professionally, back in my teens and early 20's, then life got in the way(along with supporting a family).  At one point around my 55th year, I bought a Yamaha CVP 405. This to me, was like a regular piano which I could practice on, but also had these(new to me) things called styles, different voices, registrations, etc.etc.  It give me my first taste of what arranger type keyboards can do.   Now, at my 70th year and retired, I bought a Genos about 6 months ago, and since I am now retired, I have lots of time on my hands to learn and play it.

Coming from a Classical background in my earlier years, with a BM and MA in music degrees from Juilliard in NYC, (not in piano),  most of my friends that do not understand an arranger, think of these as toys.  (A perception I had too, up until I bought the CVP). 

For me, it took a bit of getting used to, having come from weighted keyboards to the Genos.  Compared to a weighted keyboard, it seems too easy to hit wrong or adjacent keys.  Really had to focus on(and practice on) hitting the right keys, squarely on top, without catching the adjacent keys, which will depress very easily if my fingers are slightly off.

But having said that, and realizing what a true arranger could do, I  was hooked and since I could afford it, and after much research, I went with what I thought was the best available at this time(the Genos).  So I did not come the usual way of working my way up through the Tyros series, to the Genos.

So after this very wordy explanation, the two things that made me buy a Genos, was, buying a CVP a number of years ago, and then, when I retired and having done lots of research, the Genos seemed to have the best reviews, so I went for it.  And I am VERY happy I did.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 03:48:58 PM by khudson7 »

Kaarlo von Freymann

« Reply #186 on: March 14, 2019, 02:37:47 AM »

IMHO :

Babette

How right you are.The public  is not interested in any arranger keyboard brand.Only the owner and other keyboard players are
But people who have shelled out a lot of money want to believe the audience will rewad them for their outlay. In 4 decades of ever better instruments I have never met a normal audience member  appreciating the advancement of keyboard techonology,  if they say "I like your music " it, is usually because they know the tune and like your singing, That is why I always ask the folks on the floor what tune they would like me to play.

Cheers

Kaarlo

Offline EileenL

« Reply #187 on: March 14, 2019, 02:39:48 PM »
Well I for one have been told what a lovely sound is coming from the keyboard and people come up to have a closer look as they are really impressed.

Offline markstyles

« Reply #188 on: March 14, 2019, 08:59:00 PM »
I have always liked Yamaha keyboards.  The Tyros and now the Genos..  Each is a level better than it's predecessor.   The SA2 voices, although not new anymore blow people away who are not aware of them.   I have a lot of Kontakt Libraries, some great..  But Genos (because of hardware and software) has a move 'alive' sound.  Don't know how else to describe it.  Also Yamaha pays the most attention to the 'homogenous blending of their sounds'.  That is The piano may not knock you out as the best piano you have heard.  But when you use the Genos/Tyros line to create a 'live band sound'.  The individual instruments, have been sampled, EQ'd to fit together really well.. 

I've used every brand of keyboard out there. and while some have truly killer sounds, when you stack 4 - 8 tracks of them together,  they sometimes 'fight' with each other.
The fact you can create a live 9 track piece of music in real time, and it sounds so  professional, is at least 10 years of studio engineering experience.

That's why I love 'Genos'

Murat

« Reply #189 on: March 17, 2019, 07:27:31 PM »
One of the many reasons which made me buy a Genos is the feature that plays a little Demo for each sound. Although I don't use it very often, it is very inspirational.

Another reason is how easily customisable the control panel, knobs and sliders are.

And the fact that the Genos looks like the spaceship Galactica! Or a futuristic keyboard a Klingon would play!  ;D