Author Topic: Name Just One Or Two Things That Made You Buy A Genos  (Read 62666 times)

Offline EileenL

Re: Name Just One Or Two Things That Made You Buy A Genos
« Reply #100 on: June 18, 2018, 07:25:07 AM »
You need to calibrate the screen for your own use. We all have different ways of touching screens ie. side of finger or full on or at an angle. Once you calibrate for your use it will work all the time with no problems. Genos is a very clever keyboard in many ways.

Offline Pianoman

« Reply #101 on: June 18, 2018, 08:29:54 AM »
Hi Abby,
Great to hear from you.
Have you had a chance to audition the PA4X as well?
All the best
Eric

Hello Eric.

Unfortunately the Pa4X is harder to find than Bigfoot.
Even on the second hand market.
A lot of T5s are being sold though.

Best Regards.
Abby.

Offline sugarplumsss

« Reply #102 on: June 18, 2018, 09:39:24 AM »
NUMERO UNO:  I went really crazy last fall and bought a new red Mustang and needed a new keyboard to put in it.  (yes it will fit with the back seats down)
NUMERO DOS: Because I did not buy a boat.

P.S.  Seriously....I don't drink, I don't smoke, I don't bar-hop, I don't fish, I don't hunt, I don't buy expensive shoes or clothes, I don't play golf and I don't...................you get the picture.  The great vehicle is for my daily commute to work and the great keyboards are for my only real passion: MUSIC.

What engine in Mustang?  mpg a concern?
I use T4 as a drum machine. Playing my own acmp and bass. MIDI songs are my latest interest. If anyone wishes to share knowledge on MIDI songs let me know.

Offline guitpic1

« Reply #103 on: June 18, 2018, 10:49:35 AM »

Hello Eric.

Unfortunately the Pa4X is harder to find than Bigfoot.
Even on the second hand market.
A lot of T5s are being sold though.

Best Regards.
Abby.

http://www.synthzone.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/451468/gonew/1/Korg_Pa4x_For_Sale#UNREAD
guitpic1

For me, the goal is to keep growing/learning.

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #104 on: June 18, 2018, 12:51:30 PM »
Abby, sorry I have not been able to keep in touch as much as I should, but I have been spending as much time as possible on my boat, mainly fixing things and a couple weeks sailing with all my medical equipment.

I am happy to read that you are booked solid and staying busy, though a person with as much talent as you I would anticipate this would be the norm. I hope your health problems are in the past and that you are able to perform on stage pain free, or at least with as little pain as possible.

Keep in touch, old friend,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline Joe H

« Reply #105 on: June 18, 2018, 11:57:49 PM »
NUMERO UNO:  I went really crazy last fall and bought a new red Mustang and needed a new keyboard to put in it.  (yes it will fit with the back seats down)
NUMERO DOS: Because I did not buy a boat.

P.S.  Seriously....I don't drink, I don't smoke, I don't bar-hop, I don't fish, I don't hunt, I don't buy expensive shoes or clothes, I don't play golf and I don't...................you get the picture.  The great vehicle is for my daily commute to work and the great keyboards are for my only real passion: MUSIC.

Don't do any of that stuff either... but don't have much as well.  I love my PSR S970... it gives me much JOY to just sit and tinker with it.

:)    :)    :)    8)    8)    8)

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline Pianoman

« Reply #106 on: June 19, 2018, 11:40:46 AM »
Abby, sorry I have not been able to keep in touch as much as I should, but I have been spending as much time as possible on my boat, mainly fixing things and a couple weeks sailing with all my medical equipment.

I am happy to read that you are booked solid and staying busy, though a person with as much talent as you I would anticipate this would be the norm. I hope your health problems are in the past and that you are able to perform on stage pain free, or at least with as little pain as possible.

Keep in touch, old friend,

Gary 8)

Hello Gary.

Yes, the gigs are keeping me really busy right now. The swelling of the fingers and pain
has almost disappeared,

I cover a lot of distances and shift a lot of gear at the moment, plus the hours of the
actual gigging itself.

I called up an old friend here to see if he has time to come down and record some
new videos of my gigs.

He's in the Canary Islands for the next couple of weeks, but will come and record me
once he's back.

I understand that you've been to the Canary Islands. You've been everywhere Gary.

I assumed that you would be out sailing, especially with the great summer weather.
I hope your that you're enjoying yourself and your health is holding well.

Best Regards.
Abby.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 12:00:43 PM by Pianoman »

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #107 on: June 19, 2018, 04:24:03 PM »
Abby, glad to hear you are doing well, and I'm looking forward to seeing some new and exciting videos of your performances.

All the best,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline Eric, B

« Reply #108 on: June 19, 2018, 06:20:20 PM »

Hello Gary.

Yes, the gigs are keeping me really busy right now. The swelling of the fingers and pain
has almost disappeared,

I cover a lot of distances and shift a lot of gear at the moment, plus the hours of the
actual gigging itself.

I called up an old friend here to see if he has time to come down and record some
new videos of my gigs.

He's in the Canary Islands for the next couple of weeks, but will come and record me
once he's back.

I understand that you've been to the Canary Islands. You've been everywhere Gary.

I assumed that you would be out sailing, especially with the great summer weather.
I hope your that you're enjoying yourself and your health is holding well.

Best Regards.
Abby.

Hi Abby,
Small world.
We were in the Canary Islands  last year. Forte Ventura.
Funny thing : I live in Ventura. ... ;)
Have fun with your gigs.
All the best
Eric
Genos, PSR-S970

psychosiz

« Reply #109 on: June 24, 2018, 10:47:21 PM »
Hi.
Why, I did not understand better. The best I think would have been that I had saved a lot of money if I did not buy Genos.
It's just as good with my T5 as it does with my Genos.
Now Genos is bought and T5 sold so now there is no return.
The audience does not experience any lift when they want music and there are so small differences between Tyros5 and Genos.
Sorry but that's the reality.
Tommy

While I respect your opinion, its clearly in the minority when you look at other opinions of other people and users.  As with computer syths, sounds and many other things, the user is primary reason for the pluses and minuses associated with quality.  The Genos itself has been used in blind tests against other keyboards and has been picked out as the most favorable in blind sound tests of hardware keyboards.  Sound on Sound, Korg, Roland and East West are all companies I know who have done these tests.  The Genos continues to score the highest when sampling sound quality.  My cousin was actually part of a focus group which compared several piano, electric piano, strings and brass samples.  He was told he was comparing them for which sounded the best or favorable to him based upon the sounds.  He said the played the same song or riff 5 times and each sounded a bit different.  He had to rate them and give some comments about each one.  He found out this was conducted by Korg and they used a computer to play back the same song using the different sounds from different keyboards.  The Genos, Korg Kronos, Korg PA4X, Roland FA8 and Nord Stage2 were the keyboards he heard.  Does this mean anything, no because sound quality is subjective to each person.  There is not a definitive way to state which is better or worse, only opinions and ratios of people who prefer one sound set to others.  In this case, the Genos is shining according to the results.

Lastly, Yamaha's own marketing reports show an overwhelming amount of people were able to pick out the differences between the Tyros 5 and Genos's sound sets and the preference of the Genos sounds over the Tyros 5 was about 87% overall in favor of the Genos.  They found the same results when met with many different demoers and store experts who told them the same thing.  The sales may be the biggest indicator as people speak with their wallet and this is where the Genos is proving it.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 10:54:34 PM by psychosiz »

Offline motekmusic

« Reply #110 on: June 25, 2018, 08:17:32 AM »

Hello,
As many well know have been a fence sitter since Genos was announced .   Decided to order a Genos last month, but here in
Israel cannot expect it perhaps until later in July.   Have since sold my Tyros 5.

The 2 things that made me get off fence was reading all the wonderful comments about the machine and of course
my wonderful  and handy women's intuition.

cheers
elaine
\\\"I have suffered for my music, now it\\\'s your turn\\\"   Neil Innes

Offline Stijn

« Reply #111 on: June 25, 2018, 10:56:31 AM »
Hi Elaine,

Me too. I also had serious reservations about getting the Genos. Wouldn't I miss some of the buttons that are on the Tyros but not on the Genos, and some other worries...
At first there were some issues but they got solved by the update 1.30.
There are still a couple of things to be solved. For instance, I miss the Upper Octave indication on the display, but I guess in time it will all be sorted out.
The touch screen is a joy to work with and with the assignable buttons there’s a lot to be done.

Now, after 4 months, all my registrations are updated and fine-tuned. And they sound wonderful.
The touch screen needs some getting used to but you will learn quickly and editing text is now so much easier with the virtual keyboard.

One thing annoyed me from the beginning however; the fingerprints on the display!!!! But, I made a screen protector and it works just fine.

I tried several plastic sheets and I got the best result with Transparency sheets. The ones that are used in Ink Jet Printers. They are firm, don't wrinkle, are very clear and they don't show fingerprints at all! The response of the touch screen is not affected.

When it gets 'dirty' you just throw it away and replace it with another one. You can cut 2 protectors out of 1 sheet. Don't clean the Transparency with water because you'll get stains on it.

Size:  20.2 x 11.6  cm   / 7.95 x 4.56 inches   

Regards,
Stijn
I'm not talented ... but I practice a lot.
please visit  https://www.youtube.com/@StijnBettens/videos

Offline motekmusic

« Reply #112 on: June 25, 2018, 11:17:04 AM »
Thanks Stijn.

Appreciate the transparency sheet tip and hopefully can get it translated into hebrew so can go to the computer store and
ask for it.   Also would like to know if there are other methods to clean that screen.  Certainly will have to be more conscientous
about cleaning hands after pizza.   
Although there are serveral threads pertaining to some of the problems experienced on the Genos, the positives outnumber
the negatives... All machines have the capacity for the agony and ecstasy, so am not expecting to be completely under
its spell whenever it arrives.   There is so much help and advice on the forum to overcome most if not all technical aspects.
What i am waiting for is  the Liberace fairy dust file.   

cheers
elaine
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 11:19:26 AM by motekmusic »
\\\"I have suffered for my music, now it\\\'s your turn\\\"   Neil Innes

Offline EileenL

« Reply #113 on: June 25, 2018, 11:50:39 AM »
Hi Elaine,
  I always just wipe my screen with and micro fibre cloth when I switch off. Just as I do with my I pad. No problems at all.

8t8KEEZ

« Reply #114 on: June 29, 2018, 09:04:31 PM »
Was this question supposed to be worded:

"What's 1 or 2 Reasons that Made You Return Your Genos?"

Just kidding - BUT, I have a couple already..... although I haven't returned it ..... YET.

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #115 on: June 29, 2018, 09:12:14 PM »
Was this question supposed to be worded:

"What's 1 or 2 Reasons that Made You Return Your Genos?"

Just kidding - BUT, I have a couple already..... although I haven't returned it ..... YET.

Ok. What are they. Would be interested to know.
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

8t8KEEZ

« Reply #116 on: June 29, 2018, 09:55:44 PM »
Mixing multiple time signatures within a single song...

Can't advance through a playlist using a pedal OR any of the buttons on the screen - You have to tap and load ...

For the purposes of illustration ... I've attached 3 songs that contain multiple time signatures ... THIS is what would really sell me on this keyboard.... I can deal with the playlist, and just use registrations ... Matter of fact, I think it was Fred who gave me this idea .... that was also a big help.... but ... mixed time signatures probably requires a custom style, is my guess....

[attachment deleted by admin]

The following users thanked this post: wersianer

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #117 on: June 29, 2018, 10:28:33 PM »

Can't advance through a playlist using a pedal OR any of the buttons on the screen - You have to tap and load ...

For the purposes of illustration ... I've attached 3 songs that contain multiple time signatures ... THIS is what would really sell me on this keyboard.... I can deal with the playlist, and just use registrations ... Matter of fact, I think it was Fred who gave me this idea .... that was also a big help.... but ... mixed time signatures probably requires a custom style, is my guess....

I just use a registration when I have different time signatures. I change from a 4/4 style to a 3/4 style, for example.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

8t8KEEZ

« Reply #118 on: June 29, 2018, 10:47:18 PM »
Okay, Fred! I will try that... I am not giving up, that's for sure ... NEVER! and I'm NOT taking my Genos back... I actually love it.... I just need to get used to how to take advantage of it with workarounds ...

Marcus

« Reply #119 on: June 30, 2018, 05:08:58 AM »

I have come across the same issue many times with mixed time signatures within a song. I have found two solutions, just in case the registration idea doesn't work out properly.

Actually our fellow forum member (Jørgen Sørensen) who developed a lot of our custom software that we use on our Yamaha keyboards has created a program that does exactly that, place a different time signature with a different style Main Variation. I have the program and fooled around with it a while back, however I ended up using my second solution that I will explain later.

The program is called, Style Time Editor. Check link below. Jorgen even has a sample style to download from this page.
http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha/software/stytime/index.htm

You can try it, but I ended up using a second method. Even if I managed to create such a style with different time signatures, it would be too taxing for me to press the correct style variation at the exact time without error. Maybe not such a disaster between a 4/4 or a 2/4 timing, but your song would come to a crash if you mixed up a 4/4 with a 3/4 or in one of your hymn examples, a 5/4 with a 3/4 timing mix-up. If you are precise, then maybe a great solution to create a variable time signature style.

What is unique to Yamaha is their Free Play styles. Meaning, no strict tempo is required. I created several modified variations that I use for the exact purpose you described. Some sustained Multipads work well with a Free Play style as well. Even a guitar strumming pattern Multipad that cycles very two beats can work with both a combination of a 4/4 and 2/4 song. A suitable Free Play style or tweaked one within Style Creator can work no problem with that 5/4 and 3/4 song. You can get nice fills and style breaks manually at the correct times or trigger a one shot Multipad fill at the correct time. Several Free Play styles in the Genos or available from YamahaMusicSoft.

If I find time this weekend, I'll take a stab at one of your PDF songs and post a MP3 of my results using one of my Free Play styles.

Regards, Marcus 

Edit: Forgot, Jorgen's Style Half Bar Fill Creator could work for your 4/4 and 2/4 timing song by pressing a 2/4 style fill at the correct measure to keep the timing correct in your song with this combination of time signatures. Here is that link.
http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha/software/filledit/index.htm
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 05:26:33 AM by Marcus »

The following users thanked this post: pjd

8t8KEEZ

« Reply #120 on: June 30, 2018, 10:41:40 PM »
Marcus .... great ... so what is your 2nd method/solution? The Freestyle????

keynote

« Reply #121 on: July 01, 2018, 12:08:55 AM »

Also would like to know if there are other methods to clean that screen.   

cheers
elaine

I use a natural cleaning solution called Ecomoist Natural Screen Cleaner. You spray a couple three sprays on the microfiber towel and then wipe the Genos LCD screen until the marks are gone. It works great.  I purchased a 50ml bottle back in November of 2017 and the bottle is still more than 3/4 full. Just make sure the keyboard is off before cleaning the screen. That's according to the instructions on the bottle by the way.

Here is the U.K. Amazon website link for the product in case you are interested.

Ecomoist Natural Screen Cleaner 50ml with Fine Microfiber Towel

Mike

Offline EileenL

« Reply #122 on: July 01, 2018, 12:50:13 PM »
All I ever use is a dampened cloth to wipe over and polish it with a micro fibre cloth to polish. Do the same with my I Pad.

Marcus

« Reply #123 on: July 01, 2018, 01:38:45 PM »
Marcus .... great ... so what is your 2nd method/solution? The Freestyle????

Yes. So basically you play the song with piano, organ, Ensemble or whatever right hand voices you want and the free play styles mainly give you a sustained chordal type background track. Pressing the fill/break buttons could give you orchestral breaks you can activate when switching back and forth from the 4/4 measure and 2/4 measures for example.

In addition multipads can be added, like guitar patterns that would fit both the time signatures being used. Sometimes I would modify a free style adding a basic drum track, not to overwhelm the song, but to keep timing. Again, a drum track that has a short pattern that would fit within two beats for the 2/4 measure or would simply play through twice for the 4/4 measure. Pressing a suitable style break fill at the beginning of the time signature change gets you back at the beginning of the measure or bar again.

Hopefully this helps and makes some sense. You have to be creative and practice when to use the fills and breaks when using some of the free play styles.

Marcus

Marcus

« Reply #124 on: July 05, 2018, 06:48:26 PM »
I have come across the same issue many times with mixed time signatures within a song. I have found two solutions, just in case the registration idea doesn't work out properly.

Actually our fellow forum member (Jørgen Sørensen) who developed a lot of our custom software that we use on our Yamaha keyboards has created a program that does exactly that, place a different time signature with a different style Main Variation. I have the program and fooled around with it a while back, however I ended up using my second solution that I will explain later.

The program is called, Style Time Editor. Check link below. Jorgen even has a sample style to download from this page.
http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha/software/stytime/index.htm

You can try it, but I ended up using a second method. Even if I managed to create such a style with different time signatures, it would be too taxing for me to press the correct style variation at the exact time without error. Maybe not such a disaster between a 4/4 or a 2/4 timing, but your song would come to a crash if you mixed up a 4/4 with a 3/4 or in one of your hymn examples, a 5/4 with a 3/4 timing mix-up. If you are precise, then maybe a great solution to create a variable time signature style.

What is unique to Yamaha is their Free Play styles. Meaning, no strict tempo is required. I created several modified variations that I use for the exact purpose you described. Some sustained Multipads work well with a Free Play style as well. Even a guitar strumming pattern Multipad that cycles very two beats can work with both a combination of a 4/4 and 2/4 song. A suitable Free Play style or tweaked one within Style Creator can work no problem with that 5/4 and 3/4 song. You can get nice fills and style breaks manually at the correct times or trigger a one shot Multipad fill at the correct time. Several Free Play styles in the Genos or available from YamahaMusicSoft.

If I find time this weekend, I'll take a stab at one of your PDF songs and post a MP3 of my results using one of my Free Play styles.

Regards, Marcus 

Edit: Forgot, Jorgen's Style Half Bar Fill Creator could work for your 4/4 and 2/4 timing song by pressing a 2/4 style fill at the correct measure to keep the timing correct in your song with this combination of time signatures. Here is that link.
http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha/software/filledit/index.htm

I didn't find time last weekend to create an audio demo of my Free Play style solution, but fooled around a bit during this week to make a few audio demo examples on how I would deal with mixed time signatures within a single song. I chose to try the "10,000 Reasons (Bless the Lord)" song because the PDF had the lead line, chords and Lyrics and both the 4/4 and 2/4 time signatures. That's pretty much all one needs to work the magic of these modern day arrangers, especially the new Genos.

Never hearing the song before, I found a piano part that helped me flesh out some arrangement ideas and to integrate a customized style(s) to suit. A Praise song is in my wheel house, so quite easy rearranging and recording with the Genos. I found my Right Hand piano parts from the link below.

https://musescore.com/user/94620/scores/124550

At any rate, my first demo (10000Reasons(PowerPopBallad+vocal).mp3) is perhaps my choice on how I would perform this Praise type song. This rough idea was recorded me playing live to a custom style, OTS and multipads. The Multipads have two beat guitar patterns that would fit for both the mixed 2/4 and 4/4 time signatures. A style "Break" can help with the transition between the timing events. I added a little VH in the choruses and recorded a couple of verses.

10000Reasons(PowerPopBallad+vocal).mp3
https://app.box.com/s/8v9s33bmtl654oysteuohzi7n8zij89j

This second demo is just showing another style choice that works with the song.

10000Reasons(PowerBallad2).mp3
https://app.box.com/s/c5l3csb4mtmm6lxzxpqbjbadwnzjrgz7

The third demo is my concept of creating a Classical type version of the song. I am using the Genos "String Adagio" style, custom Ensemble voices, and choir Multipads. All my songs are arranged to play live and are called up through Performance Registrations on my Genos. 

10000Reasons(StringAdagio).mp3
https://app.box.com/s/iwdwbtptf0l7u9pgg5w8ysdb8zp0s6df

A Free Play style can work with this song, but not my first choice. However, an interesting version can be created in this demo. I chose the xt5_FreeEvolution Free Play style I purchased from YamahaMusicSoft a while back. Sort of a contemporary twist to the song using this style. I customized it in Style Creator and saved it with the 73 Tempo. Reason being, although the style can play without a strict tempo, the rhythm type Multipads are slave or clocked to the style. So by setting the Free Play style at a strict tempo, the Multipads are at the correct tempo. Multipads "OrientalPerc4" are linked to the style. You will notice the drum beats appearing during parts of the song. Since the drum patterns run every two beats, they fit within both the 2/4 and 4/4 sections of the song. Again, I use the style "Break" for the smoother transition between the two time signatures.

10000Reasons(Freeplay).mp3

https://app.box.com/s/ffua8dpeq9pdlmkc3k6dod3kgtyz59v1

Hope the above helps in addressing different time signatures within a song.

Lastly, here is a list of a few things that made me buy a Genos.

-The best sound quality ever on any Digital Arranger Workstation.

-CFX piano voices, the lush Kino Strings or the punchy Revo!Drums.

-AEM (Articulation Element Modeling)

-C7 Grand Piano (Perfect for production piano with my custom arrangements.)

-Genos features a diverse range of content library, including 1,710 instrument sound, 550 backing patterns, 216 arpeggios, lots of new Multipads containing exclusive Genos Voices and DSPs.

-Genos boasts unprecedented DSP power.(Love adding individual channel insertion DSP effects to my MIDI songs.)

-Using the same VCM technology as Yamaha’s professional high-end mixing consoles with the tools to create the perfect sound.

-1.8GB of user flash memory with high speed reading/writing for your own Voices.

-Select and change parameters directly with the new 9" colour touch screen.

-10 Registration Memory buttons.

-New S/PDIF Digital output without any loss in audio quality.

-New 32bit Digital Audio Converter (DAC) provides high quality defined sound across a wide frequency range, ensuring Genos always cuts through the mix. (A Toronto sound engineer once told me that the (DAC) in the Tyros series was highest quality amongst the competing brands. The Genos take sound quality to yet another level.)

-The FSX keyboard features a premium action with aftertouch. (Such a pleasure to play and add feel and expression through aftertouch action.)

-Four Sub line-out connections.

-Yamaha Expansion Manager (YEM) with support for WAV, AIFF, SoundFont and REX formats.

-Genos, super light at 13.0 kg (28 lb, 11 oz).

-Polyphony at 256 (max.) (128 for Preset Voice + 128 for Expansion Voice). (Have not yet experienced any note drop-off even with my most complex 26 track arrangements.)

-491 Pro, 39 Session, 10 Free Play, 10 DJ styles.

-Audio Phraser software is amazing. Create your own Audio Styles.

-Added a new function: Voice Guide.

-Play multiple Audio Link Multi Pads simultaneously.

-Play an Audio Style file on the USB flash drive directly.

-Edit Audio Styles with the Style Creator function.

-Select the Drum Kit of the "Expansion" folder on the Drum Setup window of the Style Creator.

-Record the sound of Audio Style and Audio Link Multi Pad playback with the Audio Multi Recording function.

-You can now select whether playback of a Multi Pad stops in the following cases, on the Style Setting display:
・When Style playback is stopped.
・When the Ending section of Style is played back.

-Select whether playback of Style and Multi Pad stops when MIDI Song playback stops, on the Song Setting display.

Perhaps I could go on to over 10,000 reasons why I bought a Genos.

Regards, Marcus

The following users thanked this post: stephenm52

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #125 on: July 05, 2018, 10:00:24 PM »
I didn't find time last weekend to create an audio demo of my Free Play style solution, but fooled around a bit during this week to make a few audio demo examples on how I would deal with mixed time signatures within a single song. I chose to try the "10,000 Reasons (Bless the Lord)" song because the PDF had the lead line, chords and Lyrics and both the 4/4 and 2/4 time signatures. That's pretty much all one needs to work the magic of these modern day arrangers, especially the new Genos.

Never hearing the song before, I found a piano part that helped me flesh out some arrangement ideas and to integrate a customized style(s) to suit. A Praise song is in my wheel house, so quite easy rearranging and recording with the Genos. I found my Right Hand piano parts from the link below.

https://musescore.com/user/94620/scores/124550

At any rate, my first demo (10000Reasons(PowerPopBallad+vocal).mp3) is perhaps my choice on how I would perform this Praise type song. This rough idea was recorded me playing live to a custom style, OTS and multipads. The Multipads have two beat guitar patterns that would fit for both the mixed 2/4 and 4/4 time signatures. A style "Break" can help with the transition between the timing events. I added a little VH in the choruses and recorded a couple of verses.

This second demo is just showing another style choice that works with the song.

10000Reasons(PowerBallad2).mp3
https://app.box.com/s/c5l3csb4mtmm6lxzxpqbjbadwnzjrgz7

The third demo is my concept of creating a Classical type version of the song. I am using the Genos "String Adagio" style, custom Ensemble voices, and choir Multipads. All my songs are arranged to play live and are called up through Performance Registrations on my Genos. 

10000Reasons(StringAdagio).mp3
https://app.box.com/s/iwdwbtptf0l7u9pgg5w8ysdb8zp0s6df

A Free Play style can work with this song, but not my first choice. However, an interesting version can be created in this demo. I chose the xt5_FreeEvolution Free Play style I purchased from YamahaMusicSoft a while back. Sort of a contemporary twist to the song using this style. I customized it in Style Creator and saved it with the 73 Tempo. Reason being, although the style can play without a strict tempo, the rhythm type Multipads are slave or clocked to the style. So by setting the Free Play style at a strict tempo, the Multipads are at the correct tempo. Multipads "OrientalPerc4" are linked to the style. You will notice the drum beats appearing during parts of the song. Since the drum patterns run every two beats, they fit within both the 2/4 and 4/4 sections of the song. Again, I use the style "Break" for the smoother transition between the two time signatures.

10000Reasons(Freeplay).mp3

https://app.box.com/s/ffua8dpeq9pdlmkc3k6dod3kgtyz59v1

Hope the above helps in addressing different time signatures within a song.

Lastly, here is a list of a few things that made me buy a Genos.

-The best sound quality ever on any Digital Arranger Workstation.

-CFX piano voices, the lush Kino Strings or the punchy Revo!Drums.

-AEM (Articulation Element Modeling)

-C7 Grand Piano (Perfect for production piano with my custom arrangements.)

-Genos features a diverse range of content library, including 1,710 instrument sound, 550 backing patterns, 216 arpeggios, lots of new Multipads containing exclusive Genos Voices and DSPs.

-Genos boasts unprecedented DSP power.(Love adding individual channel insertion DSP effects to my MIDI songs.)

-Using the same VCM technology as Yamaha’s professional high-end mixing consoles with the tools to create the perfect sound.

-1.8GB of user flash memory with high speed reading/writing for your own Voices.

-Select and change parameters directly with the new 9" colour touch screen.

-10 Registration Memory buttons.

-New S/PDIF Digital output without any loss in audio quality.

-New 32bit Digital Audio Converter (DAC) provides high quality defined sound across a wide frequency range, ensuring Genos always cuts through the mix. (A Toronto sound engineer once told me that the (DAC) in the Tyros series was highest quality amongst the competing brands. The Genos take sound quality to yet another level.)

-The FSX keyboard features a premium action with aftertouch. (Such a pleasure to play and add feel and expression through aftertouch action.)

-Four Sub line-out connections.

-Yamaha Expansion Manager (YEM) with support for WAV, AIFF, SoundFont and REX formats.

-Genos, super light at 13.0 kg (28 lb, 11 oz).

-Polyphony at 256 (max.) (128 for Preset Voice + 128 for Expansion Voice). (Have not yet experienced any note drop-off even with my most complex 26 track arrangements.)

-491 Pro, 39 Session, 10 Free Play, 10 DJ styles.

-Audio Phraser software is amazing. Create your own Audio Styles.

-Added a new function: Voice Guide.

-Play multiple Audio Link Multi Pads simultaneously.

-Play an Audio Style file on the USB flash drive directly.

-Edit Audio Styles with the Style Creator function.

-Select the Drum Kit of the "Expansion" folder on the Drum Setup window of the Style Creator.

-Record the sound of Audio Style and Audio Link Multi Pad playback with the Audio Multi Recording function.

-You can now select whether playback of a Multi Pad stops in the following cases, on the Style Setting display:
・When Style playback is stopped.
・When the Ending section of Style is played back.

-Select whether playback of Style and Multi Pad stops when MIDI Song playback stops, on the Song Setting display.

Regards, Marcus

Right on!!

I can give one final reason, now that I've been gigging with the Genos the audience reaction has been best ever using any arranger.  I'm a little surprised at that since I know it's the musician not the keyboard but the Genos is proving to be a real winner.
GENOS, SX900, Clavinova CVP 307, Korg Pa4x.........

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

Offline s_cristi

« Reply #126 on: July 06, 2018, 06:41:50 AM »

My approach is to use midi-song for this. I make registrations like this: the first bank starts the midi(sync-start as soon as I hit a key) and the other 7 give me different flavors and settings for the channels and R+L voices. Of course, it is very hard to make changes in a live performance (repeat a verse, insert a break/bridge/solo, etc...)

To be on the topic, the 2 reasons I would buy a Genos:
1. I don't have one
2. my wife is forcing me to (to prove that I'm a rich guy, which obviously I'm not)
Blessed be the Lord God Almighty!
PSR Sx700  8)

Offline pjd

« Reply #127 on: July 06, 2018, 03:20:36 PM »
Hi Marcus --

Thanks for "10,000 Reasons." We do this tune with our congregation and it was fun to hear you interpretation. Our take is kind of gospel/country and I'm usually playing some kind of mellow B-3 (channeling Danny Federici  :) ). No arranger, all live, 12-string guitar + piano + synth (me).

New 32bit Digital Audio Converter (DAC) provides high quality defined sound across a wide frequency range, ensuring Genos always cuts through the mix. (A Toronto sound engineer once told me that the (DAC) in the Tyros series was highest quality amongst the competing brands. The Genos take sound quality to yet another level.)

For the nerds...

The Genos MAIN OUT DAC is the Asahi Kasei Microdevices AK4490EQ. SUB 1, 2, 3, and 4 are the AK4396 DAC.

The Tyros 5 uses the AK4396 for MAIN OUT, SUB 1, 2, 3, and 4.

All the best -- pj

Offline emmaco

« Reply #128 on: July 07, 2018, 10:25:59 AM »
Sounds and sounds.  8)
The best I ever heard.

Marcus

« Reply #129 on: July 07, 2018, 06:46:22 PM »
My approach is to use midi-song for this. I make registrations like this: the first bank starts the midi(sync-start as soon as I hit a key) and the other 7 give me different flavors and settings for the channels and R+L voices. Of course, it is very hard to make changes in a live performance (repeat a verse, insert a break/bridge/solo, etc...)

To be on the topic, the 2 reasons I would buy a Genos:
1. I don't have one
2. my wife is forcing me to (to prove that I'm a rich guy, which obviously I'm not)

Not sure if your PSR-S770 has Song Position, Loop or Repeat functions in the Song Player, however with the Genos one can also Sync/Start a suitable style along with the MIDI Song file. This way, the user is in control of the fills, breaks etc. Also while a style is synced to the MIDI Song File, the MIDI can be prepared with time markers throughout for repeating a verse or a chorus etc. (see photo below)

Also within your registration, the custom style used can have OTS voice setting memorized to each variation main part. On top of that, each OTS memory save can have a different Multipad Bank linked and memorized to it. So not only does the User have manual control of the Song Repeats and Loops, a synced style with 4x4 Voice OTS saves (16 different voice combinations) along with 4x4 Multipads (16 selectable Multipad combinations), one or more Multipads can run from a Multiupad bank linked to an OTS save, and a Multipad selection from the next linked Multipad bank can be selected and activated while another Multipad is still playing from the first Multipad bank or an entirely different Multipad category bank. This is huge creative control over a live performance plus no worry sucking up too much polyphony notes. I have never yet experienced note drop-off with the Genos with the available 256 (128+128) stereo note polyphony.

You don't have to be rich to own a Genos. I am on a fixed income and pension, however my playing with my Genos easily pays for my musical equipment. I paid over $800 CAD in the 70s for my first mono synthesizer or several thousand for a console organ back in the day. In today's dollars (8 to10x) 2018, same synthesizer comparably would cost more than a Genos and a similar console organ would cost me well over $20,000 CAD. I realize that each circumstance or area of the world can be vastly different or not equal opportunities, but still amazing where technology has taking us.

Marcus

8t8KEEZ

« Reply #130 on: July 19, 2018, 10:21:18 PM »

Regards, Marcus

Marcus!!!

I'm JUST seeing this and didn't want you to think you went through all of that effort per niente!

In any event - GREAT voice! And what you did was PERFECT! PERFETTO!

It makes sense, and encourages me to simply seek, and ye shall find!

You guys - ALL of you, are amazing!

Thanks so much for the work you put into describing and further demonstrating the capability of how to deal with multiple time signatures ...

TRULY priceless info on this site!

Timbo

gdc

« Reply #131 on: July 19, 2018, 10:44:44 PM »
SOUND! SOUND! SOUND! There is a huge difference between the T5 and the Genos. I have owned all the Tyros models except the very first one and the Genos is by far the best. Audiences love it and I am getting a very positive response when I play. I get an amazing number of seniors up dancing at gigs. Lighter weight to carry and superb sounds. What's not to like!
Graeme

Offline dinapoli

« Reply #132 on: July 20, 2018, 12:46:19 AM »
After listening to many demos by very great players I read the specs.I was surprised this keyboard had more keys and was lighter then my Tyros 3.  I had the Tyros 1 and 3, decided not to buy the following Tyros because I didn't think there was much of a change.  I switched to Ketron Audya 4 modula Arranger and midied it with a Yamaha keyboard, they were light easy to carry but took longer to set-up, the quality was good.  I decided to try the new Genos,  it took me a while to understand the filing system on this keyboard, once I understood it everithing became easier.  After 3 months I am still setting it up for live performance, I only use Registrations and name them after a song I think the keyboard sounds great!  I did a little sample using an old style, I think even old styles sound different in this keyboard.  In this video I am also using the harmonizer on my vocals, I am experimenting with a few styles and voices.
 you will find the video here:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y0pS7-a7Ac

Kaarlo von Freymann

« Reply #133 on: July 20, 2018, 01:06:14 PM »
..... I decided to try the new Genos,  it took me a while to understand the filing system on this keyboard, once I understood it everything became easier. 
...... I did a little sample using an old style, I think even old styles sound different in this keyboard.  In this video I am also using the harmonizer on my vocals....

Fantastico signor dinapoli :)   But is  Napoli not Naples ?   I cannot remember seeing  the Golden Gate Bridge or the Manhattan skyline  when visiting Naples.  So how did you accomplish that ? 
Alternative truth ? The only thing I trust to be non-trumpish in this video is YOU playing your Genos and using 2 mics like I do, one with harmony and one without. Alternative mics, not alternative truth.

Cheers

Kaarlo

Offline dinapoli

« Reply #134 on: July 20, 2018, 07:09:39 PM »
It is called green screen!  If you look at the weathercast on your TV they use the same system.  If you look at other videos that I posted on YOUTUBE you will see Napoli Ischia Capri etc.  The music or the vocals are always live!

Bachus

« Reply #135 on: July 23, 2018, 06:48:26 PM »
Quote from: Pianoman

My request is:

Name only 1 or 2 things that made you buy a Genos.

Best Regards.
Abby.

88 high quallity keys with aftertouch...

And guess what?

Offline Gloria

« Reply #136 on: July 23, 2018, 08:38:37 PM »
"Aah" - - We are now back on track with the original question - "Name only 1 or 2 things that made you buy a Genos."  ;)  My answer is:  "its beautiful sound."  :)

Gloria
"Music is the Universal Language"
PSR Performer Page

Kaarlo von Freymann

« Reply #137 on: July 27, 2018, 07:01:55 PM »
88 high quallity keys with aftertouch.....

Unlike the following poster who feels we are right back on track I am more bewildered than ever.  ::) Can find only 76 keys with after touch on my Genos.  And fortunately they are the same  after touch keys (same spare parts number) as the keys on Tyros 1 launched 16 years ago. Hard to believe, some things are so good they cannot be improved upon.

Cheers

Kaarlo

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #138 on: July 27, 2018, 08:01:45 PM »
Kaarlos, Bachus is just expressing his desire for an 88 key arranger, which will not likely happen because it looses it's portability, which is what makes an arranger keyboard a desirable instrument for OMB entertainers throughout the world.

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

keynote

« Reply #139 on: July 28, 2018, 12:56:18 AM »
I guess it's about time I answer the question about why I bought the Genos. I bought the Genos because of the increased polyphony, 76 keys, excellent drums, portability, higher quality DAC, large touch screen, built in phantom power (nice feature), amazing sounds and speedier data transfers. I'm sorry I couldn't limit it to one or two things but I think you get the idea. The Genos is such a fabulous keyboard there are so many things that make it a truly outstanding arranger. The price of the Genos is the only real negative in my opinion. For that very reason I think some people chose the Pa4x instead of the Genos. But in my opinion I think the Genos is the better of the two keyboards and that's one more reason why I went for the Genos.  8)

Mike 

gdc

« Reply #140 on: July 28, 2018, 10:22:33 PM »
I am finding my audiences respond really well to the Genos - better than with the T5. I am having a great time with the Genos and loving it totally, and this is coming from T2, T3, T4 and T5. Take the time to tweak it and you will love it too!
Graeme

Offline dinapoli

« Reply #141 on: December 30, 2018, 09:31:06 PM »
Because of a back problem, I switched to Ketron Audya 4, I midied the Audya 4 with a Mof the sound is good lighter to carry but more to assemble.

I noticed the Genos is a little lighter than the Tyros and has more keys.  Some of the styles are the same or similar to my Tyros1 and Tyros 3.

I just recorded a song with one of the movies styles, I recall using this styles in the Tyros 1 and 3.  The orchestral sound are great on this keyboard.  You will find my demo here   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ub3I4Wag46g

This was done live in one take, turn the speakers up and enjoy the music.

This keyboard is a keeper, my Audya4 is for sale!

Happy New Year!

Offline acparker

« Reply #142 on: December 31, 2018, 11:57:58 AM »
Lots of improvements over my old T3 ... but Ensemble Voices.  That's what got me to pull the trigger.

Adam

Bachus

« Reply #143 on: December 31, 2018, 01:17:32 PM »
Lots of improvements over my old T3 ... but Ensemble Voices.  That's what got me to pull the trigger.

Adam

Could have bought a T5 for that...
But i agree its the Ensemble voices that make these 2 keyboards unique in keyboardland.
The only other key that had some of these where the Roland Fantom arx brass expansion as well as the jp80.. but far less advanced then the Genos..

But there ismuch more to be liked about Genos..

Lloyd E

« Reply #144 on: December 31, 2018, 03:08:14 PM »
I bought the Genos because I have owned Yamaha keyboards in the past and enjoy the sounds and styles. Could name other things that I bought it for but this answers your
question on 2 things i bought it for. 
I have to say this: i bought my Yamaha keyboards from Frank Ventresca in Milford Ct.  Without Franks prices i would not have been able to elsewhere. Service: Unbeatable !

Offline Toril S

« Reply #145 on: January 01, 2019, 12:49:21 PM »
A used Tyros 5 is a good alternative. Half the pricw, and almost all the features of the Genos. I love my T5😀
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline acparker

« Reply #146 on: January 01, 2019, 01:36:31 PM »
A used Tyros 5 is a good alternative. Half the pricw, and almost all the features of the Genos. I love my T5😀

And almost impossible to find nearby in Canada, at least through Kijiji.  It would have required a 8+ hour round trip to buy the nearest one, and their price wasn't that much cheaper than a new Genos, all told.

Adam

Offline Toril S

« Reply #147 on: January 01, 2019, 03:42:53 PM »
I guess I was extremely lucky then!😀
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline dinapoli

« Reply #148 on: February 06, 2019, 03:35:02 PM »
I just recorded this old Italian song, using the GENOS keyboard, this keyboard has a very nice E Piano, the harmony I used is also from this keyboard, when used at low volume it adds to the voice!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMMHxBI5WCo

The following users thanked this post: Gunnar Jonny

Offline Gunnar Jonny

« Reply #149 on: February 06, 2019, 05:57:45 PM »
I just recorded this old Italian song, using the GENOS keyboard....

I did not understand a word of the lyrics, but it's a beautiful song, real nice performance and video!
Thanks for sharing.  :)
Cheers 🥂
GJ