Author Topic: Name Just One Or Two Things That Made You Buy A Genos  (Read 62765 times)

Offline Toril S

Re: Name Just One Or Two Things That Made You Buy A Genos
« Reply #50 on: May 05, 2018, 08:24:16 AM »
Hello Abby :) The Genos is lighter then the T5, but it does not have a tilted screen. On the other hand, it has better sound. But the T5 is without toucan screen, have a tilted screen, and is familiar, it is a Tyros 3 in a more modern edition. So what to choce? It sounds to me as you like your T3 a lot, but that it is reaching the end of its days. So maybe a T5 would be a good choice for you. Good luck with your choosing of a new instrument. You can make a tin can sound like a grand piano, that is how talented you are. So whatever you choose, good music will come from it! I am hoping to see you in autumn when you come to Trondheim :)
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline Kokoriz

« Reply #51 on: May 05, 2018, 09:25:13 AM »
First Yamaha since PSR9000 in 2000. Trying something different!

Offline Kytrinh

« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2018, 09:35:49 AM »
Hi.
Why, I did not understand better. The best I think would have been that I had saved a lot of money if I did not buy Genos.
It's just as good with my T5 as it does with my Genos.
Now Genos is bought and T5 sold so now there is no return.
The audience does not experience any lift when they want music and there are so small differences between Tyros5 and Genos.
Sorry but that's the reality.
Tommy

Hi Tommy
Its unfortunate that you feel this way after making a big decision on such an expensive purchase..its hard to let go of something when there isnt any wrong and youve gotten comfortable with it.
At the moment i still have the T5 beneath the Genos and have done enough comparisons to conclude that the technology given the 3/4 year gap has truly advanced bw the T5/Genos.. Not sure what speaker/PA systems people are listening to but i use a pair of Yamaha DSR112s and DXS12 Sub. When amplified I do hear the difference..and its huge
Most often the audience may not even tell the difference bw Karaoke or us sitting on the stage corner, but knowing you have access to the latest and greatest advancements in music making will give you that personal satisfaction.
Give it time Tommy, maybe you will hear the difference when the opportunity presents you with a chance to hear someone else play the T5.
All the best
Ky

« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 09:54:45 AM by Kytrinh »
Genos, Tyros4/5, Pa4X, Audya5, KetronSD40, RolandXP30

Offline Pianoman

« Reply #53 on: May 05, 2018, 09:53:27 AM »
Tommy is expressing buyer's remorse, as is his right to do so.
He feels that the difference between his T5 and the Genos is small.

He knows what he's talking about, so let him have his say.

After all, he is an owner who has had the luxury of playing his Genos and trying
out all the possibilities, and has come to the conclusion that he could have saved
himself some money by just staying with his T5.

We all make mistakes, and there is nothing wrong with that.

There may probably also be other Genos owners who feel the same way
too, but are hesitant to come out and say so.

We are also straying away from the original intention of this thread.

Best Regards.
Abby.

Offline mikf

« Reply #54 on: May 05, 2018, 01:02:32 PM »
All the increments between keyboard generations are relatively small so there has always been these comments that it may not be worth changing if it is just a single generation ie T2 to T3 for example.  If you have a perfectly good T5 or maybe even T4 or T3 there may be a legitimate argument that it’s nit worth the bother/cost of upgrading to Genos. But if you are in the market for a new keyboard because your current keyboard is old, or just in poor shape, why would you not buy the best available? Why would you buy the previous model? Even if it is just a little difference it’s still a difference. So unless the cost difference really matters, it seems s a no brainer.
Mike

Offline Gunnar Jonny

« Reply #55 on: May 05, 2018, 04:41:06 PM »
  ;) My 2c .....

Regarding the differences between Genos and other Y models, and about buyers feel comfortable use money at it, I think it's mostly about personal taste, use and needs.
Some users / performers mostly play GM midifiles and other playback files, and also do as best as they can to make the new keyboard sound and act like past models, well, then the differences most probably won't be worth the the change or the money spent.

I think each model has it's own signature, and when compare Genos to T4, to me it's a big difference. But, I do all settings from scratch by use of the capability of Genos sounds and styles.
A friend of mine that still gig at regular basis sold his T5 and now play Genos. He do pretty much the same way as me, rebuild his playlist to gain most possible from the Genos. As he say, it's a learning curve and a bit work to do, but it sounds amazing!

The HIGH pricelevel compared to some other brands TOTL series was far too big at the start, and maybe still is, but if anyone ask me, I will say the 'Plastic Fantastic' Genos is the best sounding Yammie arranger 'till now. Also the keyfeel, the new touch screen and OS is in my opinion a BIG step forward.  8)

Cheers 🥂
GJ

Offline torben

« Reply #56 on: May 05, 2018, 05:05:36 PM »
I needed another kb as I had to place my T5 in my summer apartment in Spain (I normally live in Denmark). That said I must say that the Genos, although it is a great instrument, really is no major upgrade from the T5. And even more complicated to use.

So if you have the choice I would suggest waiting a few years to upgrade ...

Kind greetings

Torben
Tyros 5 was my choice - now it is only Genos1 !

Offline Dromeus

« Reply #57 on: May 05, 2018, 06:09:57 PM »
I must say that the Genos, although it is a great instrument, really is no major upgrade from the T5. And even more complicated to use.

Recall that Pianoman would be upgrading from T3, not T5. I did upgrade from T3 to Genos and before doing so, I compiled a list of improvements I'd get when buying a Genos. I found 20 improvements over T3. Note that everybody may come up with a different list, because we all have different requirements depending on the way we use an arranger. So it is not possible for me to pick out 2 or 3 killer features that led me to open the check book.  It was that massive progress in sound and features which results in pure fun using the Genos, and at the end of the day it's the fun that counts.

BTW I find the Genos easier to use. This was not on my list of improvements, it turned out after getting used to the new interface.
Regards, Michael

Kaarlo von Freymann

« Reply #58 on: May 05, 2018, 07:12:48 PM »
I needed another kb as I had to place my T5 in my summer apartment in Spain (I normally live in Denmark). That said I must say that the Genos, although it is a great instrument, really is no major upgrade from the T5. And even more complicated to use.

So if you have the choice I would suggest waiting a few years to upgrade ...

Kind greetings

Torben

Hej Torben,
Du har rätt  (you have right) as we say in Scandinavia.  I envy you for being able to use two different keyboards. I am working so hard to get the Genos set up to be gig usable in every respect - see my rants - because I for one would not be able to USE  both a Tyros and a Genos alternatively.  My main reason for being in the process of  trying to switch to  Genos is not the sound - I believe like beauty is in the eye of the beholder , sound is in the ear of the listener - it is the weight and size. They make a "weightable" difference to me.

Jag lyfter hatten

Kaarlo

Kaarlo von Freymann

« Reply #59 on: May 05, 2018, 07:36:28 PM »
Hi Tommy

.....Most often the audience may not even tell the difference bw Karaoke or us sitting on the stage corner, but knowing you have access to the latest and greatest advancements in music making will give you that personal satisfaction.
Give it time Tommy, maybe you will hear the difference when the opportunity presents you with a chance to hear someone else play the T5.
All the best
Ky

Ky,
thanks for a very good posting. We were talking about beauty the other day and some one quoted that old saying "beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Maybe we should not in the heat of the discussion whether the Genos sounds much better than the Tyros forget that  "sound is in the ear of the listener"  and as you point out,  the satisfaction of "driving the latest model" ;)

Cheers
Kaarlo

Lhill1

« Reply #60 on: May 06, 2018, 12:28:43 AM »
Hi Everyone

I love my Genos I have owned it since 20thNovember, I work on a 3 on 3 off rota and every day I spend at work I am thinking about the 3 days I am going to have giving my Genos some welly.

I previous to the Genos owned a PA4X and prior to that owned a PSRS900. I have never owned or had the opportunity to purchase a Tyros. As much as I wanted one I never could. So when the opportunity arose to allow me to buy a TOTL keyboard I was swayed towards the Korg 18 months ago over the tyros. However I found it highly frustrating , not user friendly and not quite the same user experience even as my old S900.

So having swapped in the PA4X a week or two after launch of Genos (with my local(ish) dealer who are amazing at what they do, and offer as much help as I need as and when required).
I brought the Genos home.

From the moment I turned it on to simply navigating the keyboard it was easy and a joy to use. It is simple and intuitive in its functions.
Now we get on to the sound of the machine, well as Im not privy to the actual sounds of functions of Tyros I am quoting this from a newbies point of view, I think its unbelievably amazing. From the nuances in the wood wind, dependant on the level of touch, to the outstanding Revo drums in the styles, it is truly an amazing keyboard with realism built in to the nth degree. Then we can move along to the Live controls well this can change the character of a voice in an instant and you have full access to any number of effects that again add charm and character to any music you play

If I was to pick one thing I love the most, and it is a close call between this and all the others I love equally its the flugelhorn. With the right amount of reverb it is a delight to play and listen to.

What I need is a week in a hall with a huge pa system....audience .....nah not bothered just a few pals to appreciate this fine amazing sounding keyboard

Hope you are all enjoying it as much as me :D :D :D

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #61 on: May 06, 2018, 12:40:51 AM »
Here's my 2 pennies worth.  As Kaarlo wrote "beauty is in the eye of the beholder."    I had a T5-76 and a Pa4x at the same time, after playing the Pa4x which I still have I decided the T5 was no longer for me.   I have purchased a Genos and am very happy with it not only for great how it sounds but with all the live controls for gigs and the playlist feature,  it matches the Pa4x's live controls and Songbook.    Both have their strong points and I don't really find for my use that there is anything I don't like.    I like using the ice cream analogy somedays I like Vanilla other days I want something like Chocolate Chip Cookie dough ice cream.   
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 04:20:28 AM by stephenm52 »
GENOS, SX900, Clavinova CVP 307, Korg Pa4x.........

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

Offline Oymmot

« Reply #62 on: May 06, 2018, 03:57:40 AM »
Hey all!
I maintain it's throwing money into a well if you change from Tyros 5 to Genos when it gets a far too high mid-price.
Sure, it's nice to buy a new instrument, but it's way too little to get for this money.
Is it then that you use your keyboard to play for audiences, then the first thing that has to be done is to change all the files used in their previous keyboard.
Here comes my sequel of what I have to do to use my previous files in Genos.
Now I only use my own midifiles for all public viewing.
The first thing I have to do to use for example the Playlist feature is that I have to sit and make about 800 Memory Banks, why?
Jo Genos is so constricted to use Playlist, so you have to make a Memory Bank for each title.
A bank for each title to make it easy to find titles without having to add 10 titles to each bank and then not easily see which titles are available in each bank.
It mentioned all the effects that can be added but who in the crowd takes advantage of these effects, no one likes to do well, so do not care.
Of the new sounds that came into Genos, are not all times better than the previous instrument sounds that have been found in previous models.
Some of the newer sounds are even worse than the ones before.
There has been a lot of straw noise, which in my ears is just too hard and not at all uncomfortable.
If we then go into the flood, then it is clearly deteriorated, it is down.
Earlier to my Tyros, I and my fellow musician used an extra display to display text, notes, chords for him.
Now we forgot this and use the karaoke feature that only shows text.
In the past we could both see exactly the same on our diplomas, but now it's only the karaoke feature for him.
For example, if I wanted to show a playlist to select a title, I have to enter submenus to change and then change back.
Minus for us!
If I want to use something that's much easier to make playlists, it's up to me to play all files without starting the next one.
If you forget to stop after each played midifile, the next one automatically starts.
Style is style and many are exactly the same as found in former Tyros.
In all of my previous Tyros, I've experienced that the sounds are embedded and it's the same here Geno sounds do not think I'm better!
Now I have just written negative so it will cause anxiety, which I understand.
But ... it can be difficult to admit that everything is not as perfect as salesmen want to demonstrate.
Tommy
Tommy Ölin
E-post: tommy.sune.olin@gmail.com

Kaarlo von Freymann

« Reply #63 on: May 06, 2018, 06:28:24 AM »

....I maintain it's throwing money into a well if you change from Tyros 5 to Genos ....
....it's way too little to get for this money.
....then the first thing that has to be done is to change all the files used in their previous keyboard.
....I have to sit and make about 800 Memory Banks, why?
....you have to make a Memory Bank for each title.
....without having to add 10 titles to each bank and then not easily see which titles are available in each bank.
....Of the new sounds that came into Genos, are not all times better than the previous instrument sounds
....Some of the newer sounds are even worse than the ones before.
....If I want to use something that's much easier to make playlists, it's up to me to play all files without starting the next one.
....If you forget to stop after each played midifile, the next one automatically starts.
....Style is style and many are exactly the same as found in former Tyros.
... it can be difficult to admit that everything is not as perfect as salesmen want to demonstrate.
Tommy

Tommy, maybe we Scandinavians are not used to having our legs pulled = At bli dragen vid näsan in Swedish.  I feel exactly like you, and more and more so the further I get into preparing the Genos for gigs.
If things do not work as stated in both manual and reference manual  we call that a bug,  not something the buyer should find a way around, like the Parameter Lock that does not lock what is ticked, which you can get around by putting everything into every reg.bank.

Cheers
Kaarlo 

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #64 on: May 06, 2018, 08:32:39 AM »
If things do not work as stated in both manual and reference manual  we call that a bug,  not something the buyer should find a way around, like the Parameter Lock that does not lock what is ticked, which you can get around by putting everything into every reg.bank.

Kaarlo,

Please don't spread these falsehoods. You're not helping the readers, and, more importantly, you're not helping yourself.

Parameter Lock works exactly as outlined in the manual, and is unchanged in its operation from the Tyros series.

It would take you less than a minute to test to verify its operation.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline mikf

« Reply #65 on: May 06, 2018, 09:31:20 AM »
You can buy a decent grand piano for $15k but a Bosendorfer costs about 5 times that. Does that mean it has to be 5 times better? Of course not, it just has to be what you want to be worth it. Same for a Merc versus a Ford or even a first class seat on a transatlantic flight versus a coach class seat. It’s not up to Tommy to decide what is and isn’t worth it for anyone except himself.
Mike

Kaarlo von Freymann

« Reply #66 on: May 07, 2018, 08:05:54 AM »
Kaarlo,

Please don't spread these falsehoods. You're not helping the readers, and, more importantly, you're not helping yourself.

Parameter Lock works exactly as outlined in the manual, and is unchanged in its operation from the Tyros series.

It would take you less than a minute to test to verify its operation.

Fred

Fred,
I am sorry.  If that is not geneally so there is a defect in  both specimens we have here.  "It would take you less than a minute to test to verify its operation."  I know  unfortunately  you are convinced I am both unwilling and incapable of doing anything right. I may not be smart but please trust me, I will not claim anything without having thoroughly checked it. On the Genos in front of me the mic/voc.harmony is clicked on the  parameter lock page and thus if I  and the YAMAHA rep have understood the manual and reference manual correctly it should remain what it was set to unless changed via the panel buttons.

"This function is used to “lock” specific parameters (effect, split point, etc.) to make them selectable only via the panel
control—in other words, instead of being changed via Registration Memory, One Touch Setting, Playlist, or Song and
sequence data
"

We have interpreted this text meaning shutting down the Genos (though that is a button)  the chosen and parameter locked setting of the mic/vocal harmony will stay like it was set.  Sorry to say, it will revert to 3 part harmony.  We have interpreted the manual that it should not do that even in case one would call up a registration in which it was set to something else. But it reverts to the 3 part harmony even without pressing anything else then just  the on /off button.  And it cannot be anything else than reverting to default as I never use the 3 part harmony so it cannot even be on any reg bank.

The genos has update 1.3. and has been factory reset.

I there anything else I should or could do ?  I remember being told there are no global settings, the system is designed to have everything put into the registry, but I believe that was before 1.3.

respectfully

Kaarlo

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #67 on: May 07, 2018, 08:26:09 AM »
"This function is used to “lock” specific parameters (effect, split point, etc.) to make them selectable only via the panel
control—in other words, instead of being changed via Registration Memory, One Touch Setting, Playlist, or Song and
sequence data
"

We have interpreted this text meaning shutting down the Genos (though that is a button)  the chosen and parameter locked setting of the mic/vocal harmony will stay like it was set.  Sorry to say, it will revert to 3 part harmony.  We have interpreted the manual that it should not do that even in case one would call up a registration in which it was set to something else. But it reverts to the 3 part harmony even without pressing anything else then just  the on /off button.  And it cannot be anything else than reverting to default as I never use the 3 part harmony so it cannot even be on any reg bank.

Kaarlo,

As you state in your first paragraph (in color, no less), Parameter Lock stops a registration from changing the setting that's locked. There's nothing in any manual anywhere that leads to the interpretation this has any impact on the on/off button. And by the way, this operation is unchanged from Tyros keyboards.

So, what you need to remember is:
1. The on/off button is not a registration.
2. Parameter Lock applies only to registrations.
3. Rather than wishful interpretation, you're betting off asking the forum.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #68 on: May 07, 2018, 08:42:39 AM »
Kaarlo, this has been a problem with Yamaha's operating system for more than a decade.

Once you turn the keyboard off, then fire it up again, everything in parameter lock goes to factory defaults. Consequently, the factory default vocal harmony and effects comes into play, and if you have the parameter lock for vocal harmony checked, then your setup registration cannot change it to the values you wish. Therefore, if you have created a startup registration, which I highly recommend, including all of your vocal settings and pedal settings, the simple solution is to uncheck parameter lock, select your setup registration, then re-check the vocal harmony in parameter lock and it will be locked in place until you turn off the keyboard. It's something that I have done for more than a decade and for me it's just a simple step in setting up the keyboard for a performance.

Hope this helps,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

DonM

« Reply #69 on: May 07, 2018, 11:22:37 AM »
It's a simple step but one that should be entirely unnecessary.  Surely Yamaha could make some Global settings to be saved, like ALL THE OTHER COMPANIES DO.
Sorry for shouting.  This has irked me for many years.

Kaarlo von Freymann

« Reply #70 on: May 07, 2018, 07:43:43 PM »
Kaarlo, this has been a problem with Yamaha's operating system for more than a decade.

Once you turn the keyboard off, then fire it up again, everything in parameter lock goes to factory defaults. Consequently, the factory default vocal harmony and effects comes into play ...... select your setup registration, then re-check the vocal harmony in parameter lock and it will be locked in place until you turn off the keyboard.

Hope this helps,

Gary 8)

Gary,
Sincere thanks, it sure does. and I am very relieved. I seems I am not as completely over the hill as my wife has been claiming for the last  20 years.  ;) You understood exactly what I meant and what to me and the YAMAHA importer's rep seems a crazy implementation, e.g. so it it is not  me omitting to check  "things that take just a minute to check"  like  has been claimed. It was the presumption that the  Parameter Lock  mic/vocal harmony functions like it does on split point (which does not revert to default)  that was our error - whether understandable or not depends on the attitude of the adviser.

Whether the fact that Parameter Lock  is just temporal is seen as proof of the superiority of YAMAHA software creators  or as crazy is of course like everything  a matter of opinion.  That it is temporal is not expressly stated in the manuals,  (did I oversee something ?)  If it were this thread had been unnecessary.

"Once you turn the keyboard off, then fire it up again, everything in parameter lock goes to factory defaults."

On our two specimens split point does not revert to default, which is a blessing but may indicate  not everything does. This inconsistency in implementation is what easily makes one suspect there is a bug. Which of course is a malicious interpretation as we are dealing with "the best keyboard" ever.

Cheers

Kaarlo

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #71 on: May 07, 2018, 09:46:01 PM »

"Once you turn the keyboard off, then fire it up again, everything in parameter lock goes to factory defaults."

This is not correct. Please stop posting these falsehoods.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline valimaties

« Reply #72 on: May 07, 2018, 11:35:48 PM »
I don't like this kind of posting... It becomes like "feature bugs or not" thread, and please stop this thing!
If you think it is a bug, start a thread with what you think, but I see other title here!

Tommy (@Oymmot)... if you think Genos is not so far away from Tyros 5, please go and play a little bit with DSP possibilities in Genos vs Tyros5 ;) How many DSPs can you use in Tyros5 in styles?! BTW, this is one of the best improvement which made me buy Genos. The second (which contains two :D ) , its dimension (regarding of number of keys) and touch screen...

Regards,
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #73 on: May 07, 2018, 11:51:49 PM »
Lighten up, Fred. Sure, there are a couple things that do not, but VH and Pedals, which are two of the most important parameters, especially for entertainers, does revert. The split point stays where it is set, which is the case with a couple other items that are rarely used, but by and large the parameter lock can be a real PITA because of a minor programming issue that Yamaha has never addressed, though it has been pointed out to them by me and many other entertainers.

All the best,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline Dromeus

« Reply #74 on: May 08, 2018, 01:52:12 AM »
Parameter Lock stops a registration from changing the setting that's locked. There's nothing in any manual anywhere that leads to the interpretation this has any impact on the on/off button. And by the way, this operation is unchanged from Tyros keyboards.

Amen. Fred is absolutely right. Parameters that survive a shutdown and subsequent restart of the Genos are exactly those that are stored automatically (no user action required) in the system memory. These parameters are clearly documented in the data list, see section Parameter Chart, column "System". The Parameter Lock has absolutely no influence on which parameter will be read from the system setup. Parameter Lock only applies to registrations, as Fred pointed out correctly.

It is true, that VH parameters will revert, simply because they are NOT stored in system memory.

It WAS true, the pedal parameters did revert in the Tyros series, because they were NOT stored in system memory. This has been changed with Genos. Pedal setup will now survive a shutdown and restart of Genos.
Regards, Michael

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #75 on: May 08, 2018, 09:15:31 AM »
Good to know about the pedal setting,  Dromeus. Glad Yamaha finally addressed that feature.

All  the best,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

DonM

« Reply #76 on: May 08, 2018, 10:34:09 AM »
Good to know about the pedal setting,  Dromeus. Glad Yamaha finally addressed that feature.

All  the best,

Gary 8)
Gary, ironic that we were just discussing this problem this weekend by phone!

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #77 on: May 08, 2018, 05:10:34 PM »
hi
Just go forward and do not look back, because one day It will not matter.
Experience the living now!! 8)

Looking at the sound of the Genos and making a decision is a no brainer.
My older sounds still come out the same as the T5 and to me It is necessary to have some older raw sounds at your disposal.
The sounds you have In the Genos are far superior and the effects and manipulation of everything.
I would also say ditch the speakers that go with the Genos as You have a Rolls Royce with a mini engine metaphorically speaking.
Spend some of that cash and get decent speaker system it will pay dividends.
Buy an expensive pair of powered speakers and that will last through quite a few keyboard changeovers and therefore will be much cheaper than those boxy satallite speakers with a boom box evey four years.

You always get what you pay for.
What is the point In having a £4500 keyboard with a cheap set of speakers.
It defeats Itself.

John
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 05:31:47 PM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline EileenL

« Reply #78 on: May 08, 2018, 07:13:33 PM »
Hi John,
  I know you love your speakers but for many myself included when you are sitting at home in a small music room the Genos speakers are just fine. We have just had our forum meeting and Steve from Yamaha came along with his Genos and a set of Stage Pass 600 speakers. Wow what a sound. Members learnt lots of tips to.

Offline svpworld

« Reply #79 on: May 08, 2018, 07:46:46 PM »
1. The quality and variety of acoustic instrument based sounds
2. The user interface (ability to control these sounds easily) compared to say the Montage synthesiser which I previously owned

I've owned many top end synth workstations, I never expected an arranger to beat any of them on sound quality but Genos definitely does at least regarding expressive acoustic based instruments.... and it doesn't do too badly with its pallette of synth sounds, especially when you start exploring expansion packs (and there are many free sounds out there!).

Simon

Offline Gunnar Jonny

« Reply #80 on: May 08, 2018, 08:45:44 PM »
You always get what you pay for.

Well, at general terms I have to disagree to the statement in that line.  :o
Too often I have a oposite feeling, we get much less than what we pay for. ::)

;)
Cheers 🥂
GJ

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #81 on: May 08, 2018, 09:02:19 PM »
Hi Eileen
At the end of the day it Is all down to what we are happy with.
I did not like the Tyros speaker system at all.
Boxy and boomy sounding to me and battery wires for connecting. What a mess of wiring It was also.
All our ears are different and It Is down to personal choice.
For me, I like the sound to equal my Marantz hi fi system at least.
Now we must get out In that sunshine while it lasts!! 8)
Any good tips from the man that came down from Yamaha??

All the best
John :)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 09:03:25 PM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline EileenL

« Reply #82 on: May 08, 2018, 10:06:19 PM »
Yes John,
  Lots. What ever people wanted to know he answered it.

Audrey Turner

« Reply #83 on: May 27, 2018, 04:57:40 AM »
Hello Everyone,

I bought the Genos for several reasons 1) As a pianist the 76-note version is perfect,  2) I could immediately hear the difference in the pianos, strings, orchestra, vibes and most of the rhythms, particularly the live drum accompaniment but most of all, as it's now digital (similar to my PCs) there is a lot less button pushing and the overall 'light touch' isn't so demanding on my poor old hands.  However, I am still very much in the experimenting stage, so am not able to give an honest opinion yet, but I'll keep in touch.

Audrey Turner

Offline Pianoman

« Reply #84 on: May 27, 2018, 05:07:17 AM »
Hello Audrey.

Please allow me to be one of the first to congratulate you and welcome you to the forum.
There are some good and helpful folks here, and I'm confident that you will enjoy this
forum very much.

Best Regards.
Abby.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 05:10:03 AM by Pianoman »

DonM

« Reply #85 on: May 27, 2018, 05:51:49 AM »
Abby, I did a review of my audition of the Genos if you are interested.

Offline Pianoman

« Reply #86 on: May 27, 2018, 06:36:05 AM »
Hello Don.

I read your review a few days back, and it was a very good and honest review.
I've been out gigging intensively for the past 2 weeks and haven't had time to scribble.

My gigs start again tomorrow, for the next 7 days, then I'll have another day to rest.

I'm not working today, that's why you see me scribbling again.
I was on the verge of looking your post again right now, before I saw your post.

As you already know, I am also very interested to hear about your experiences with the Korg,
as I am fascinated by the different styles, and especially the drums and basses.

I feel that perhaps having a Yamaha instrument on one hand, and the Pa4X on the other,
would not be a bad idea.

As a Pro, you understand that even though the styles on the Genos may have been reworked,
you will still have 90% of the styles that existed in previous models.

I need a completely new sound for my gigs, to sort of reinvent myself in a way.

The Genos styles, as good as they may be, are mostly styles from previous keyboards.

People like you, Gary and me, as well as some others, probably do not care too much
about the hundreds of wonderful RH and LH voices on these keyboards,
and may not be as excited about them as others seem to be.

People who gig for a living usually place more emphasis on the styles.

Usually I have about 10 favourite voices that I use in practically every song.
The rest of my work involves my Stage Piano.

One thing that has surprised me, and others can look it up, is that the Korg prices
have been holding steady since I started looking them up a few months ago.

The Pa4X and Kronos 88 prices haven't dropped at all, in contrast to the Genos and
Montage prices which are almost 25% cheaper now than in December.

Please keep posting your opinions. I do read them.

It's just a bit hectic now with the gigs, and will continue to be so until November.

Best Regards.
Abby.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 01:34:46 AM by Pianoman »

Offline EileenL

« Reply #87 on: May 27, 2018, 07:19:06 AM »
Hello Audrey,
  Its been a long time since we spoke. I am sure you will soon get used to your Genos. Hope you have downloaded the extra Playlist and the latest OS which is 1.30.

DonM

« Reply #88 on: May 27, 2018, 07:41:55 AM »
Abby, I replied to your PM.  Very few here want to hear about Korg.  :)
And that's o.k., it's a Yamaha forum. 
When you go to the Korg forum it's about the same, except you CAN be critical about the keyboards as long as you are truthful and objective.
I am happy right now with both PSR S970 and Korg PA4X!  I leave the Korg set up where I work, and use the 970 for learning songs or the occasional private party.

Offline guitpic1

« Reply #89 on: May 27, 2018, 11:24:13 PM »
Re: Korg vs Yamaha(or even Ketron) thing. 

Both are excellent.  I gigged with the PA4X before switching back to Yamaha via Genos.  I think I just bonded with my Genos.

Discussions about what Korg/Yamaha can/can’t do can go on ad infinitum and still leave folks scratching their heads.  Trying to come up with the three reasons you buy what works for you may be interesting...but not particularly useful in my mind.

Buy a Korg, Yammie, Ketron or whatever.  Gig with it or play it for fun.  At some point you will discover what’s right for you.

:)
guitpic1

For me, the goal is to keep growing/learning.

Kaarlo von Freymann

« Reply #90 on: May 28, 2018, 05:03:47 AM »
Re: Korg vs Yamaha(or even Ketron) thing. 

.........Buy a Korg, Yammie, Ketron or whatever.  Gig with it or play it for fun.  At some point you will discover what’s right for you.

:)

One cannot argue with that statement, but I in may naivety thought this site was supposed to help us avoid  (costly) mistakes. I must have been wrong. :(

Cheers

Kaarlo

Offline EileenL

« Reply #91 on: May 28, 2018, 05:39:04 AM »
It is only us that can determine if we have made a costly mistake. That is why I always advise to try things out before you buy. It is only us ourselves that know what we are looking for and what we feel comfortable with and will be able to manage.

Offline Roger Brenizer

« Reply #92 on: May 28, 2018, 06:16:42 AM »
One cannot argue with that statement, but I in may naivety thought this site was supposed to help us avoid  (costly) mistakes. I must have been wrong. :(

Cheers

Kaarlo

The purpose of this forum is as follows, Kaarlo.

This forum is devoted to music news and issues relating to Yamaha Arranger keyboards (Genos/Tyros, PSR-S/PSR-E/PSR). It is intended for owners (or potential owners) of these keyboard and is dedicated to helping owners understand how their keyboards work and how to get the most out of their Yamaha keyboards. Information or questions relating to other keyboards are permitted if they are of reasonable interest to this forum’s members, are done in moderation and do not either heavily promote other brands or infer that Yamaha keyboards are a poor choice.

That statement is a part of the following link, which was updated by Joe Waters on October 28, 2017:

https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,40714.0.html
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

(The older I get...the better I used to be...LOL!!!)
Roger’s PSR Performer Page

The following users thanked this post: sugarplumsss, Joe H

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #93 on: May 28, 2018, 08:06:32 AM »

This forum is devoted to music news and issues relating to Yamaha Arranger keyboards (Genos/Tyros, PSR-S/PSR-E/PSR). It is intended for owners (or potential owners) of these keyboard and is dedicated to helping owners understand how their keyboards work and how to get the most out of their Yamaha keyboards. Information or questions relating to other keyboards are permitted if they are of reasonable interest to this forum’s members, are done in moderation and do not either heavily promote other brands or infer that Yamaha keyboards are a poor choice.

voilá !

« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 08:08:51 AM by Al Ram »
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline Keyboardister

« Reply #94 on: June 10, 2018, 05:40:35 PM »
One of the biggest improvements for me moving from the Tyros 5 is the time that takes to install all my packs on the internal memory. I remember that on the Tyros it took me a very long time to get my 2gb stuff installed: I'd just leave the house and return cause it just took so long! but now on the Genos it's WAY faster and that is a major plus for me.
Genos

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #95 on: June 10, 2018, 07:39:53 PM »
The biggest thing is that you have to go forward.
You only have one life as far as I can see :)
The Genos is far better than the Tyros, but you have to keep up with the tech.
It also keeps the brain alive   ::)]
Explore the voice editing and you will be surprised like I was.
You do not need voice packs for piano as a little tweaking In the voice edit is second to none. Extra voice packs are probably tweaked factory sounds anyway.
The Genos effect section is a must to study and can make big differences.
You have to learn what each part does and if you mess It up ,don't save it .Start again and experiment, google things that you do not understand. I am still bashing my head against the wall learning. It Is not easy getting the sounds you want when imagining the sound .
Even cars now are all electronic.
I suppose the next thing will be an  Deluxe electric chair!!! :-[ :o ;D "make your hair or what's left of It stand up"!!!! :P :'(

The Genos is a no brainer  :-X
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 12:20:11 AM by ugawoga »

Audrey Turner

« Reply #96 on: June 16, 2018, 07:11:51 AM »
Hello Eileen, Yes it has been too long, mainly due to not being able to use the Internet on a regular basis.  I am one of the many who cannot access or send out emails through the BT system.  However I am about to change my Server. I've been told it'll probably take 10 days and when the job's done, I'd like to join your website again if you'll agree.  Thank you, and all our other friends on this site for the constant help given.

Audrey T

Offline EileenL

« Reply #97 on: June 16, 2018, 09:30:49 PM »
Yes Audrey,
  That will be fine.

Offline Pianoman

« Reply #98 on: June 18, 2018, 04:09:37 AM »
Hello Everyone.

Just an update.

Though I'm playing 26 gigs per month, I took some time to go play the Genos
again when I was in town and near the music store this last Friday.

There were a couple of new styles that I hadn't heard before that were nice.

But I think that if I ever were to buy this keyboard, it would take a lot of weeks
of work, sweat and tears to make it sound as good as my Tyros.

I also found that the screen often required a couple of taps before anything opened.

Since I have very little time now, I try to listen to at least half a style bank for every
visit that I make to the dealer.

I have hardly dug into the voices yet, as I'm mostly interested in the styles.
But I'm going to visit the store again on Thursday the 21st.

I've got to run now, gigging in 55 minutes.

Best Regards.
Abby.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 04:21:02 AM by Pianoman »

Offline Eric, B

« Reply #99 on: June 18, 2018, 05:49:47 AM »
Hi Abby,
Great to hear from you.
Have you had a chance to audition the PA4X as well?
All the best
Eric
Genos, PSR-S970