Author Topic: Genos - Is There Something I Am Missing?  (Read 22904 times)

Offline mikf

Re: Genos - Is There Something I Am Missing?
« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2018, 04:26:52 AM »
Kaarlo
You are correct of course, this forum is here to inform and help re these arrangers. However, given the depth of research and soul searching that some have over a $4000 dollar keyboard makes we wonder how long it takes to make a decision about a car ... or a house ;D
Mike

Offline valio7771

« Reply #51 on: May 08, 2018, 05:28:34 AM »
I believe you have that backwards, Valentin. A wave with a Q factor of 1 has a wider base than the base of a wave that has a Q factor of 2 (for example). It's an inverse relationship. The higher the Q factor, the skinnier the wave. See the picture.

You are absolutely right, Lee

We all make mistakes, and I did a rookie mistake by putting everything other way round, and got carried away without even realising it.
It was passing 03:00 at night when I was writing that thing, and I was already sleepy. I'll go back and edit the post in order not to confuse the readers here.

Thank you for correction !

Cheers

Valentin

Offline pjd

« Reply #52 on: May 08, 2018, 05:38:34 AM »
Oh, dear, "cars." We shouldn't go down that rat-hole, again.  :)

Two things make me an analytical, deliberative consumer: The price of the good and/or how long I intend to keep and use it. Genos ticks both of those criteria. I didn't deliberate very long when I bought an E443!

Some folks love the chase (analysis) more than the catch. Sometimes planning a vacation is more fun and satisfying than the actual trip.  :D

All the best -- pj

Offline Linson

« Reply #53 on: May 08, 2018, 06:36:59 AM »
One thought...there ARE plenty of styles available for Korg.  And it has a midi-to-style converter built in that actually works very well. 
You can get plenty of support on the Korg forum and it is even monitored by Korg people.

Anybody can shed some light on the Choral voices in Genos.  Is Choral voices in Genos is better than Korg PA4x? or it is almost same.

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #54 on: May 08, 2018, 09:04:13 AM »
I would purchase a Genos tomorrow, but it would just be one more expensive item my children would be burdened with sell when I die. I already have more things than most folks ever dream of and I told them that if they find any money remaining in bank account when I pass, I must have made a mistake, or died earlier than anticipated. ;)

Have fun, everyone,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Kaarlo von Freymann

« Reply #55 on: May 08, 2018, 05:38:10 PM »

Some folks love the chase (analysis) more than the catch. Sometimes planning a vacation is more fun and satisfying than the actual trip.  :D

THANKS   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D !!!!!!  that hit without hurting [/i]!

Offline markstyles

« Reply #56 on: June 04, 2018, 09:38:02 AM »
I've had my Genos for quite a few months..  I was thinking of keep the T5.. There are some sounds on it I really liked.  Because of limited room and finances I sold my T5 less than a day after posting on Graigslist.  I unboxed it, plugged it in.. I had already forgotten how to get to certain menus. I kept trying to press the faceplate.. It took me a while to adjust to the Geno's sound, but it sounds completely fine to me now, except most patches have way too much reverb for my taste.. Easily rectified.

I sold it for $2200, to move fast.  This guy bought it for his blind brother coming to USA for the first time from Hungary tonite. He has wanted a Tryos for a couple of years, but, I guess money was an issue.  The guy said, he knew his brother would get so excited and probably start to cry..  I have always had a 'personal relationship' with my keyboards, and tried to sell them to someone, who I felt really wanted it and would treat it with respect.  I feel it now has a great new home.

Someone did that for me many decades ago.. They could see how bad I wanted some keyboard, and lowered the price somewhat so I could afford it.  It was a feeling  of mutual good will.

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #57 on: June 04, 2018, 12:46:08 PM »
The only reason I have not purchased a Genos is because I no longer appear on stage as a live performer/entertainer. If nasty health issues had not forced me to retire from a live that I dearly loved, I would have purchased a Genos the very first day they became available, though I would have loved to have a 61 key model instead of 72 - just a lot easier for me to play.

I finally got to play a Genos live and in person at the local music store. By every measure, IMO, it is the most fantastic arranger keyboard on the market today, especially for a live performer.

Good luck,

Gary :cool:
Love Those Yammies...

Offline markstyles

« Reply #58 on: June 05, 2018, 05:43:57 AM »
I have used the Tyros 3 - 5, and Genos in a recording studio set-up for quite a few years now . I have an RME interface with top notch A-D and D-A converters. I play thru Genelec 40's  (pristine quality)..

In general I have left Tyros's and Genos at their factory settings.. I usually record each Genos track to an individual track in Logic Pro..  I occasionally use individual EQ and limiting, compressing on some tracks.  I have found Yamaha to be the most aware company of music kbds, in regarding to mixing.. An individual track, may not 'pop' out at you. But when you mix it in with 8 or more other tracks from Genos.. They blend together and are very homogenous.

I agree with all the reverb complainers. Way too much for me.  And yes, some people feel they must EQ and change settings for their equipment.  The level of professionalism in the EQ's limiting of Genos or Tyros is equal to about 10 years of a recording engineer's experience..  My first dozen years working in commercial recording studios.  I radically EQ's everything. Usually making a bigger mess. of course speakers, and mikes were not as refined as the ones today..

Yes, you should EQ your patches to sound good on your system.

When I first got the Genos, I really did not care for the EQing of it. it sounded brighter and tinnier than the Tyros.. After a couple of months, I got used to the Genos sound, and now it seems fine..  If I plugged in my Tyros 5, I might think it's sounds too bassy now.  Also bear in mind, most of us are senior citizens, our high range of earring is generally shot.. A couple of years ago, I worked in a NYC nightclub.. The difference in EQ and compression, was shocking from record to record.. So ultimately we each hear differently.

Mixing (with EQing) is an art form, in which you must make a universal mix which will sound good on a number of systems, not just your home studio.. You can EQ/mix a song, which sounds great on one system, but horrible on another.. You must find the middle ground.

But ultimately one must do what needs to be done to sound good to you..

Kaarlo von Freymann

« Reply #59 on: June 07, 2018, 12:32:28 AM »

.....In general I have left Tyros's and Genos at their factory settings.. I usually record each Genos track to an individual track in Logic Pro.....when you mix it in with 8 or more other tracks from Genos.. They blend together and are very homogenous.

I agree with all the reverb complainers. Way too much for me.
  ...... I radically EQ's everything. Usually making a bigger mess......

Yes, you should EQ your patches to sound good on your system.

When I first got the Genos, I really did not care for the EQing of it. it sounded brighter and tinnier than the Tyros..

.....  Also bear in mind, most of us are senior citizens, our high range of earring is generally shot.. A couple of years ago, I worked in a NYC nightclub.. The difference in EQ and compression, was shocking from record to record.. So ultimately we each hear differently.

Mixing (with EQing) is an art form, in which you must make a universal mix which will sound good on a number of systems, not just your home studio.. You can EQ/mix a song, which sounds great on one system, but horrible on another.. You must find the middle ground.....

EXCELLENT !!  Very valuable information, THANKS.

Cheers

Kaarlo

Offline Gloria

« Reply #60 on: June 07, 2018, 05:55:07 AM »
 I also think there is too much reverb.  This may be a dumb question, but how can I reduce it?

Gloria
"Music is the Universal Language"
PSR Performer Page

Offline EileenL

« Reply #61 on: June 07, 2018, 07:00:27 AM »
Remember Gloria that Genos is going to sound fuller and richer and now uses mostly Real Reverb so you will need a little time to get used to the new sounds produced To reduce it press Mixer and select chorus/reverb
Here you can adjust to your liking and save to registration bank.

Offline DerekA

« Reply #62 on: June 07, 2018, 07:41:09 PM »
Also try assigning reverb depth to one of the live control knobs, then you can turn it down easily on the fly.

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #63 on: June 07, 2018, 07:43:59 PM »
Also try assigning reverb depth to one of the live control knobs, then you can turn it down easily on the fly.

Great suggestion!
GENOS, SX900, Clavinova CVP 307, Korg Pa4x.........

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

Kaarlo von Freymann

« Reply #64 on: June 07, 2018, 09:16:27 PM »
Great suggestion!

Hi Steven,

On my Genos reverb for instance for styles and chorus for voices is by default on  knobs, which I use constantly as  - like many others - I dislike the modern trend to drown everything in effects which is not "Yamahanese" but universal.

Press BUTTON KNOB and step the lines called up. You will find (in case you have not changed the default functions)

you can adjust voice REVERB  with button 5
     you can adjust voice CHORUS with button 6
     you can adjust style REVERB   with button 6

As I have stated many times the knobs and sliders are what to me (in addition to weight and size)  were the reasons to
buy a Genos.

Cheers

Kaarlo

Offline pjd

« Reply #65 on: June 08, 2018, 10:03:01 PM »
In addition to or instead of adjusting the reverb level, one can change the reverb effect type. I often change the reverb effect type to "Real Small Hall" or "Real Room" as a way of pulling back the veil. If you like something, please don't forget to save the change to a registration or user voice.

All the best -- pj