Author Topic: View how many bars in an intro  (Read 4901 times)

edtek

View how many bars in an intro
« on: April 25, 2018, 07:16:10 AM »
Maybe I missed it but is there a way to see how many bars there are in an intro before playing it?  Particularly where the melody starts somewhere in the last intro bar it requires knowing how many bars are in the intro and then counting the bars.  My sax man always asks me how many bars in the intro.  Only way I know is to play the intro before the gig to get the bar count and then write that on the chart.  But when I change a style or intro I have to erase/scratch it out, gets messy.

SeaGtGruff

Re: View how many bars in an intro
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2018, 09:46:07 AM »
I have no idea about PSR-S, Tyros, and Genos-- but on the PSR-E models there's a little number displayed on the LCD screen for the count, and when you select an Intro that number is displayed as a negative value that counts down (or up) toward 0 as the Intro plays. By looking at that you can tell how many bars are in the Intro.

Check to see if the Genos has anything comparable to that.

Otherwise, maybe you could copy the style to pull it up in the Style Creator to see how many bars are in the Intro?

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2018, 10:13:35 AM »
on the PSR-E models there's a little number displayed on the LCD screen for the count, and when you select an Intro that number is displayed as a negative value that counts down (or up) toward 0 as the Intro plays.

Is that ever neat.

No such thing on the Genos. It starts at bar 1.

There is a Style Information screen, but it just lists the time signature, tempo, and OTS voices.

Certainly would be a good enhancement to request, as it appears pretty simple to implement either one (start bar count negative, or improve Style Information screen).

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2018, 11:05:36 AM »
Korg arrangers have had this feature for quite a few years, it is very helpful, not sure Yamaha does feature it in it’s higher end arrangers.
GENOS, SX900, Clavinova CVP 307, Korg Pa4x.........

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2018, 11:47:05 AM »
Yes, the keyboards have always shown this info, even my PSR 2000 showed the length of the intros. You have to know this info for coping and pasting the style parts around from one style to another.

Here are the steps:

Load your style
select the FUNCTION button
Select the "F" button which is the Digital Rec Menu
Choose the .. Style Creator
Next use the TAB button to select the ASSEMBLY screen
Now go back to the BASIC screen (again using the TAB button)
Then hit the INTRO 3 button of the style ... the screen will display the number of measures in your intro 3

It is stupid that you have to get to the screen this way ... BUT hay ... it's the YAMAHA HA HA way. ;D

You can select any of the intros, endings and mains of the style to see how many measures each of them are. This info is very important to know as you can't copy and past a 4 measure Main Part and paste it into a 2 measure Main of another style. You would have to use this screen to INCREASE the 2 measure MAIN and make it 4 measures long.

Regards
Drake
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 11:51:41 AM by DrakeM »

Offline mikf

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2018, 12:26:09 AM »
The bar countdown would be a very neat feature. Mind you, if the intro is well designed - and the Yamaha ones usually are - most times it is obvious to your ear when the intro is getting to its end. It’s like a chord change, you hear it coming.
Mike

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2018, 12:35:14 AM »
The bar countdown would be a very neat feature. Mind you, if the intro is well designed - and the Yamaha ones usually are - most times it is obvious to your ear when the intro is getting to its end. It’s like a chord change, you hear it coming.
Mike

I agree. I seldom have to count the bars in an intro (and when I do, it’s almost always third-party styles). Your ear tells you when the intro is over.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons