Author Topic: Completely different feel from piano  (Read 5161 times)

rickbrenner

Completely different feel from piano
« on: April 21, 2018, 09:24:52 AM »
I've been playing a Baldwin grand for more years than I care to admit.  I love the piano and have never really thought about the feel or the action - it was just what I was used to.  About 10 years ago I purchased a Motif XS8 - 88 keys/weighted - and played it occasionally in my music room but always gravitated back to the Baldwin. 

Then, a few months ago, I sold the Motif and bought the Genos.  Much different feel - as all of you much more experienced pros know - but I got used to it.  Then yesterday, after not touching the Baldwin for at least three or four months, I sat down to play.  ***!  I felt like there was someone under the keys pushing back.  It took a LOT of effort to play.  Crazy.

I guess all of you guys know that, so if you're laughing at me, I deserve it.  I just never knew. 

:-)

Re: Completely different feel from piano
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2018, 09:26:35 AM »
Just a knowing chuckle from someone who's experienced that both ways several times.

When I want to get back in shape I love to get on a grand of some sort everyday for a couple of weeks. Brings those muscles right back.
Check Out My YouTube Channel! https://goo.gl/edbXFS

Offline Gloria

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2018, 09:48:45 AM »
Hi Rick,  I too have experienced what you have; they may look alike but they do not "play" alike!   ;)

Regards, Gloria
"Music is the Universal Language"
PSR Performer Page

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2018, 06:25:21 PM »
I'm a keyboard player (electone) and not a pianist. For the last four years I have tried to progress mainly with piano scores.
I currently play Consolation number 3 from Liszt on Genos. Even if Genos is quite perfect, I don't succeed in adjusting my left hand pressure to get the smooth and gradual piano sound I would like to obtain.

A pro player here  : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWnWZcTuqW4

Offline Dick Rector

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2018, 06:44:38 PM »
I laugh loud with you and others. As it happens they are complete different instruments. Try to play violin on a contrabass or a drum solo on a trombone.
PSR-2000 and PSR-S950

Offline panos

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2018, 07:28:10 PM »
Dick there is nothing to laugh about in this post dude.
People are just telling how different is to play on a piano compare to a keyboard and how easilly your fingers can "forget" things without practicing.
Of course you can not play the same dynamics of on a keyboard but soundphase just saying that have n't found yet the best techic as possible for the Genos's keybed. 

On the other hand,I laugh out loud with the negative comments about Lang Lang's playing.
Too much jealousy there, instead of admiration.
Don't tell  someone how he should do something if you cannot do it better yourself...

Offline pjd

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2018, 10:38:05 PM »
Hi Rick --

I can definitely relate. Moving from the light action of the S950/MOX6 to Genos required more finger effort. Two weeks off from Genos and I could feel the loss of finger strength.

Playing the Yamaha Grand (at the church gig) is another eye opener. My arthritis limits the amount of time that I (can) spend playing a true acoustic piano action.

All the best -- pj

Offline Dick Rector

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2018, 07:20:17 AM »
Dick there is nothing to laugh about in this post dude.
People are just telling how different is to play on a piano compare to a keyboard and how easilly your fingers can "forget" things without practicing.
Of course you can not play the same dynamics of on a keyboard but soundphase just saying that have n't found yet the best techic as possible for the Genos's keybed. 

On the other hand,I laugh out loud with the negative comments about Lang Lang's playing.
Too much jealousy there, instead of admiration.
Don't tell  someone how he should do something if you cannot do it better yourself...

It was not meant as a negative comment or to criticize. Far from it! I totally agree and have the same experiences over many years. What I was trying to say is that you can't compare playing a grandpiano with playing a keyboard. They are two different instruments.
PSR-2000 and PSR-S950

rickbrenner

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2018, 07:46:05 AM »
Dick - no worries, no offense taken.  The surprising thing to me is that I never experienced that in going between the Motif and Baldwin.  It's a little bit because Motif in an 88 key weighted key instrument, but mostly because I've been playing the heck out of the Genos far more than I have any keyboard or piano in years.  It's kind of addictive.

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2018, 12:04:34 AM »
OK, Genos is not yet as good as a real acoustic piano, but the CFX Concert Grand sound is a big evolution from Tyros piano.

jgriffin

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2018, 12:54:25 AM »
I'm just a very average player but have experienced all of these various keyboards as well as playing my baby grand.  I've never been able to adapt as well as I would like to the lighter weight keys (and to less keys) as well.  The best option so far as been the Genos with 76 keys and what seems like more weight to the actual keys.  It's still very easy for me to accidently glide off the intended key so that I make more than the usual errors.   :)
  I don't think my ideal keyboard will be offered in my lifetime: 88 keys, weighted key bed and less than 25#.  So for now I'm just very grateful for "midi" connections!

Still have a lot to learn on my Genos so I've been leaning heavily on my Tyros 5-76 with midi to the 88 key weighted controller below for my latest recordings.  As you will notice, regardless of what I play - there are still lots of errors.  But I still enjoy the **** out of it!  As usual my housework is suffering dreadfully.  Still working full time, my leisure time is very precious and I'd much rather spend it at the keyboard than at the kitchen sink. 

I know that I've drifted off subject but you guys are great listeners and I wish you all a wonderful Sunday!

DonM

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2018, 01:24:56 AM »
Janet, I've SEEN your house and it is immaculate.  AND your playing is great as well.  :)
I wouldn't last five minutes trying to play piano.  In the first place I really never did, and anyway my aging old wrists and hands would quickly rebel.
Still need to try a Genos to see if the action is too heavy even on that.

jgriffin

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2018, 01:36:08 AM »
Thanks Don....considering the fact my dusty Christmas decorations are still out - because of my latest You Tubing obssession - you might want to reconsider that compliment.  But it's just Dean and me here and he could care less!  Trying to convince myself today is the day!

Genos is upstairs just waiting for you!   ;D