Author Topic: underwrite petition to update firmware to have more functions  (Read 13080 times)

Offline bernamato

Hi at all,
please sign with like or "similia" the petition to ask to yamaha to update the PSR 970 firmware to give us more functions:
1) save, copy and past the audio styles in the format .aus on usb ;
2) read the audio styles from usb in the format .aus ;
3) Half bar fill-in and Mono legato function;
4) save live control on the registration memory.

There are no reasons why yamaha doesn't give us these functions. The only reason is to put in place a commercial practice manifestly unfair.
Italy AGCM (but the law is applicable in many EU countries):
As a result of consumer reports and a preliminary investigation carried out on its own initiative, the Authority has decided to initiate two separate proceedings for unfair commercial practices against the companies of the Samsung group and the Apple group operating in Italy. In particular, professionals set up a general commercial policy aimed at exploiting the shortcomings of some components in order to reduce the performance of their products over time and induce consumers to purchase new versions of the said products; they then proposed software updates to customers for their mobile phones without reporting the possible consequences of this update and without providing sufficient information in order to maintain an adequate level of performance of these devices, promoted and purchased for their specific and eminent technological features. Such conduct may be in breach of articles 20, 21, 22 and 24 of the Italian Consumer Code.

It could be apply by analogy.

Best regards,

The following users thanked this post: hans1966, frankia, alka

Offline hans1966

Re: underwrite petition to update firmware to have more functions
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2018, 09:04:39 AM »
Hello Bernamato, I totally agree with you, that Yamaha could launch a firmware update for the S970, but with the release of the S975, little hope remains. On this last one there is a discussion in the following link.    greetings   Hans

http://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,42353.0.html

"Enjoying my SX600, and moving step by step through the journey of life"

Offline bernamato

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 05:09:49 AM »
Why people do not subrscribe I would hope?

The following users thanked this post: hans1966

Offline hans1966

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 05:57:35 AM »
Hello Bernamato, I want to subscribe but I do not know where, can you tell me?   greetings  Hans

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2018, 08:52:32 AM »

Why?  Because there’s not a chance this will ever happen. The 970 is a mature keyboard, and Yamaha is not going to change it. You’re wasting your time.

If you want the features listed, you need to wait for a Genos lite.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Pino

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2018, 11:02:04 AM »
I think Fred is right,
Yamaha is looking forward not back
It’s all about selling keyboards
that’s their business

Pino
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 11:03:17 AM by Pino »

Offline hans1966

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2018, 11:11:01 AM »
Nothing to add!    Hans 

Offline EileenL

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2018, 10:22:22 PM »
I agree,
  If you want these functions then buy a keyboard that has them on.

Offline alka

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2018, 02:02:57 AM »
Quote from Fred Smith:
If you want the features listed, you need to wait for a Genos lite.

1. PSR S970 can create, play, edit, save SFF2 style  in to usb memory stick.
2. PSR S970 can create audio style (using Audio Phraser), edit(not audio content) save into Usser memory, but can't save into usb memory stick.
Yamaha in specification tels that, S970 support audio styles, but if i can't save mine works, that's is bug of firmware, not the feature........ >:( >:(
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 02:11:35 AM by alka »

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2018, 03:47:55 AM »
I agree,
  If you want these functions then buy a keyboard that has them on.

Yes, of course,  because all of us here are millionaires, so then we can buy a keyboard every time yamaha decides to make a new one and add only 4 or 5 things that could be added with a firmware update.

Offline Joe H

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2018, 04:39:58 AM »

Because Yamaha has already done it by releasing the PSR S975.

Joe H
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 07:41:43 AM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline Toril S

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2018, 07:23:37 AM »
Hello :) I don't think it is as easy as we often think to upgrade an older keyboard. There may be things to consider, like too little ROM, a CPU that will not handle the new functions well, for instance. S970 is 3 years old, and it still is a very good keyboard. I think all keyboard players miss some functions on their keyboards, and wish  that these particular functions were on their model. That's how we are :) But we are satisfied with what we have until a model comes along that we just MUST have :)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 03:01:10 AM by Toril S »
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

garymoore

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2018, 08:30:37 PM »
Hello :) I don't think it is as easy as we often think to upgrade an older keyboard. There may be things to consider, like too little ROM, a CPU that will not handle the new functions well, for instance. S970 is 3 years old, and it still is a very good keyboard. I think all keyboard players miss some functions on their keyboards, and wish reverently that they were on their model. That's how we are :) But we are satisfied with what we have until a model comes along that we just MUST have :)
psr s970 have all hardware(same as s975 but memory) needed to run all this features, it has same cpu, so problem is only in marketing side! it even ave same cpu as genos or tyros 5!

Dr.Riton

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2018, 08:24:13 PM »
Sorry but the ingenuous analogy with Apple does not stand. They altered their sw and reduced performance, bringing their system out of specs in a way a consumer could not anticipate.
You purchased a spec, and as long as the Yam delivers, you'll have to live with it.
The argument in favor of what is being asked amounts to "I want more, it may be feasible, so I'm entitled to it" - and for free.
Guess what, I'd rather save on lawyer fees and purchase a keyboard upgrade when I really can't do without these features ::)

Offline bernamato

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2018, 02:03:19 AM »
I think Fred is right,
Yamaha is looking forward not back
It’s all about selling keyboards
that’s their business

Pino
Hi Pino, yamaha has to be care with his own afecionados clients. The fact that its business is to sell keyboard doesn't mean to act against his own clients put in place commercial practical unfair!!

Offline bernamato

« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2018, 02:11:23 AM »
Because Yamaha has already done it by releasing the PSR S975.

Joe H
[/quote
ahahahahah, I appreciate your joking!

Pino

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2018, 02:15:05 AM »
If they updated the old keyboards then I wouldn’t have bought the other 9 keyboards

I know it’s not fair but that’s how the world seems to run these days,

Pino

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2018, 04:18:40 AM »
I look at it this way. If I purchased a new car, one that did not have power windows, automatic door locks, and a 500-watt surround sound stereo system, do you think the manufacturer should provide me with those features at no additional cost several months after I already purchased the automobile? No! Then why would you expect Yamaha to do this? This is insane!

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2018, 05:51:23 AM »

I know it’s not fair but that’s how the world seems to run these days,

Why is it unfair? Didn't the purchasers of the 970 get what they were promised?

I would have more sympathy for these requests if people were willing to pay for the enhancements. Then Yamaha would at least know whether it's a worthwhile business proposition.

If I were looking for enhancements to an existing system, the first thing I'd ask is "Yamaha, what would it cost for this upgrade?" If you can get a price, then you can start negotiating for real (get more people to share the cost, etc.).

But if you only want things for free, then Yamaha knows what they are worth, and they will concentrate on other areas which allow them to stay in business. Which is the best thing for all of us.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

lilchris

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2018, 08:45:59 AM »
Very interesting reading these posts, its the way of the world now, Yamaha has for years been playing catchup with technology. I remember owning a early Tyros and installing a hard drive myself because of the lack of memory, and how long did it take before making one with 76 keys instead of just 61. In the computer world memory has been cheap for a while now, I have 16gb on this computer, so I still do not understand while they still only install small amounts. The good news for me is I managed to buy a PSR SS970 at a good price while they  are waiting for stocks of the new S975, like a lot on here I would like a Genos or even a Tyros 5 but being a pensioner they are a bit out of my range. I am pleased I found this site to help me find my way around my  purchase so thanks for that everyone.

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2018, 10:01:18 AM »
In reality, you don't need lots of memory when the files you are working with most of the time are measured in kilobytes, which is the case with style files and midi files. The only large files are recorded audio files, and they can be stored on any USB drive.

Good luck,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline Patrick

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2018, 11:20:33 AM »
Hi Gary, you can up grade psr S970 to PSR S975 nearly for free, good day Patrick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0-bzwtnLJ4

;)

Offline Joe H

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2018, 12:48:57 AM »
Hi Gary, you can up grade psr S970 to PSR S975 nearly for free, good day Patrick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0-bzwtnLJ4

;)

Well the S975 sells for the same price as the S970 did but we will loose money on the sale of the S970.  As I stated in another thread, the S975 is an enhanced S970.  I think Yamaha did this because they had to re-write the OS firmware to accomplish the upgrades and maybe change the memory chip as well.  The improvements could not be done with a firmware upgrade to the S970.

Joe H
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 07:33:21 AM by Joe H »

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline bernamato

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2018, 03:39:35 AM »
I mean an upgrade of firmware for all 970 users. No speaking about hardware. It si sufficient upgrade the firmware to improve some functionality in 970. The hardware is out of this post.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2018, 04:48:58 AM »
The memory chip is too small. I wish the same as you, but we have to be satisfied with the S970 as it is. 😀
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Mendel

« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2018, 04:52:02 AM »
hello bernamato,

I'm on your team :) , where can i sign?

Mendel

Offline Toril S

« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2018, 06:36:25 AM »
Resistance is futile, to quote the Borg. Better to adapt and be satisfied with what we have. Regards from a very happy S970 user😀
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 07:49:35 AM by Toril S »
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2018, 06:58:09 AM »
Patric, no upgrade for me now - I'm too old and don't have enough time left on planet Earth. :) Gonna stick with my trusty S-950.

All the best,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline Joe H

« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2018, 07:36:53 AM »
I mean an upgrade of firmware for all 970 users. No speaking about hardware. It si sufficient upgrade the firmware to improve some functionality in 970. The hardware is out of this post.

I was told by Yamaha that those firmware upgrades "couldn't be done" on the S970.  We saw them implemented in the Genos and S975.  So I think that the OS code was re-written for those boards and all future arrangers.

Wishing will not get you anywhere.  If you want those features found in the S975 then buy an S975.  It's not going to happen for the S970.

Regards,
Joe H

Offline Patrick

« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2018, 10:00:26 AM »
Ok,Joe, so you've the solution of this man from Indonesia, he's certainly the owner of a S970, so he have just made a sticker "PSR S975 "and he was pleased to present his up grade of his  PSR S970 up graded in PSR S975; have a nice weekend Patrick

Offline bernamato

« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2018, 05:11:38 PM »
Joe ask to yamaha what is the technical problem because we do not have a major functions in 970? I cannot find any issues. Please let us know in details the technical issues. thanks

Offline Joe H

« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2018, 12:54:27 AM »
Joe ask to yamaha what is the technical problem because we do not have a major functions in 970? I cannot find any issues. Please let us know in details the technical issues. thanks

I can't.  The message came from Japan.  But I suspect the issue is that those functions are part of the system parameters so they can't be saved in registrations.

Why don't you just accept the facts.  You will not get what you want.  If it is that important to you ... why don't you ask Yamaha yourself for a technical explanation.  (I wish you luck on getting an answer)

Joe H