Author Topic: Proper use of Genos Sustain Button and Sustain Pedal  (Read 3979 times)

rickbrenner

Proper use of Genos Sustain Button and Sustain Pedal
« on: April 20, 2018, 11:34:06 AM »
To all,

In a previous post, I spoke about a problem of Genos abruptly going silent as a result of my using the sustain pedal.  From some of the responses, it seems that I might not be using the pedal correctly, or too much.

I am new to Genos.  My background is a standard piano.   My natural assumption was to use the sustain pedal similarly to the way I do on my piano, but apparently that isn't the case - or perhaps not for every instrument.

Also, Genos has a sustain button next to the Harmony/Arpeggio buttom.

I would appreciate any advice on how professionals use the sustain pedal and sustain button - what's the difference and when do you use one or the other or none.

Thanks for any advice to a Newby. 

Rick

Offline EileenL

Re: Proper use of Genos Sustain Button and Sustain Pedal
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2018, 07:21:33 PM »
Hi Rick,
  Sustain pedal is mainly used for Piano and maybe for some strings. Occasionally it may be used on some organ voices. If you want a constant sustain then you would use the sustain button.

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2018, 11:04:38 PM »
The default settings for the panel sustain give a milder (shorter) sustain than is possible if you hold the sustain pedal for "too long" so it is more forgiving in that respect. If needed the length is editable in Voice Edit/ Common/ page2.
Different voices may react in different ways when the sustain pedal is held down, Piano sounds decay slowly away, most strings and organ sounds generally persist until the pedal is released although you will find some Organ Flutes have a quick decay so it's a very mixed bag.
There is also a Left Hold button, another way of sustaining voices.....................

John
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 11:11:31 PM by jwyvern »

Offline panos

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2018, 03:16:32 AM »
Hi John,
I am not a pro and never played with a pedal to see how it really works,
so to make the sound to fade away and not just vanish all of a sudden, I usually add some release effect through the voice edit menu.

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2018, 05:02:32 AM »
Hi John,
I am not a pro........

Hi panos, me neither, sometimes that means if we have the inclination we may have more time available to delve into the workings of the keyboard.  :)
John

rickbrenner

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2018, 08:49:30 AM »
Thank you all very much.  All great suggestions.  I will keep practicing and trying different options.

Rick