Author Topic: Different Electric Piano Voices for left and right hand  (Read 4833 times)

Offline Doghouse Riley

Different Electric Piano Voices for left and right hand
« on: April 20, 2018, 07:50:11 AM »
This Tyros 5 "demo" I bought second-hand has a lot of pre-set registrations.
On one there's some electric piano voices  for the left hand that are totally different from the ones accessed from the panel registrations by pressing the E Piano button.
If I press the left hand button which is set on PHASE EP I can access.

Page 1

Page 2

Page 3

I can't access any of these elsewhere,  other than by altering this particular registration. Have these been uploaded from a USB stick?

1st page pressing the E Piano button, for either the left or any right hand voice, all different from the above.

Any help would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 07:56:55 AM by Doghouse Riley »
"I don't mind if you don't like my manners! I don't like 'em myself, they're pretty bad. I grieve over them on long winter evenings." (Philip Marlowe)

Offline panos

Re: Different Electric Piano Voices for left and right hand
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2018, 08:25:45 AM »
Seems like the voices that associated with the registrations are from a different preset folder.
To find that folder whlie you are in the voice edit menu press up (down to the right on your screen).
For example I got E piano voices with a button on my psr but there are also some preset folders with no direct button to access them(folders called Legacy,GM&GX,GM2)
and they also have an E piano folder in them with different voices.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 08:27:03 AM by panos »

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2018, 09:00:22 AM »
Hi DR,

The EP voices that you are seeing from the registrations are from the 'Legacy' E.Piano category.

The ones that you see when you press the E.Piano panel voice button are from the panel presets.

It is confusing when sub folders have the same name (in this case 'E.Piano') in both the main panel preset categories and another preset category (in this case 'Legacy'), but Yamaha are too stuck in their (unhelpful) ways to show onscreen, the full path of the folder that is actually being displayed. Instead they only show the name of the folder.  They are unlikely to change their approach to this, so you will just have to get used to their 'strange ways'!

You will find the 'Legacy' and also the 'GM&XG' and 'GM2' categories on page 2 of the main panel preset selection screen.

Regards

Ian

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2018, 09:20:11 AM »
Hi DR,

The EP voices that you are seeing from the registrations are from the 'Legacy' E.Piano category.

The ones that you see when you press the E.Piano panel voice button are from the panel presets.

It is confusing when sub folders have the same name (in this case 'E.Piano') in both the main panel preset categories and another preset category (in this case 'Legacy'), but Yamaha are too stuck in their (unhelpful) ways to show onscreen, the full path of the folder that is actually being displayed. Instead they only show the name of the folder.  They are unlikely to change their approach to this, so you will just have to get used to their 'strange ways'!

You will find the 'Legacy' and also the 'GM&XG' and 'GM2' categories on page 2 of the main panel preset selection screen.

Ian,

You’ll be pleased to know that Genos shows the full path, including the drive letter.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2018, 11:18:36 AM »
Hi Fred,

Thanks for the heads up about this.  I have just watched a Youtube video from 'Bonners' which shows this.
At last, someone involved in the Yamaha arranger software design team seems to be thinking about the little things that are genuinely useful to users!  It's only taken 15 or so years!

Now if only they could fix the file management part of the OS so that a USB memory device plugged into the 'hidden' socket is always assigned the same identity whatever else is connected to the other USB sockets at the time, the keyboard might start to look attractive!  On my T4 you can unplug and plug in the hard drive on my T4, and even though is it 'hung' onto the system as a USB device, it is always recognised as HD1, whatever else is plugged into other USB sockets, meaning that registrations that reference files on this drive always work.

I didn't upgrade(?) my T4 to T5 because of the fact that it didn't offer me anything new that I would use, and so after an extended wait I was really excited and expecting something special in Genos.   However I really should have known better - this is Yamaha after all, king of the late adopters!  I am surprised that they don't still include a floppy disk drive on their keyboards!

I probably will eventually succumb and buy Genos at some point, but more out of a resigned disappointment that after all the hype, the T5 successor has turned out to be little more than T5+ in new clothes! 

I am fairly well aware of the functional differences between the T5 and Genos, but in developing Genos Yamaha seem to have put most of their efforts simply into transferring the OS to the touch screen (or trying to!) rather than actually coming up with anything that represented something new and truly useful! Since they already had some experience of touch screen OS with the Clavinovas, I can't believe that it took so long!

Even the much vaunted 'sliders' still jump to pick up the current software setting of their parameters when first moved, in the same primitive way that they have on every Tyros model going back over 15 years!  Why not just dump the sliders, and instead use rotary encoders with a LED indicator.  These can always represent the actual parameter setting, even from a newly loaded file.  Another disappointment is that the so called 'Regist Bank Information' display still does not show the file path to the files that a registration uses, which would clarify many problems when using user files.  Surely there is enough space on the display to show this?  Pathetic!

I was disappointed from a functional point of view with T5, although I accept that YEM, in spite of it's limitations, in recent incarnations does allow efficient use of the expansion memory, unlike the T4 and earlier!
However until Yamaha really get their finger out and fix the apparent bugs that still remain in Genos even on firmware 1.30, I am still reluctant to make the change to Genos.  It is tempting to wait for Genos 2, but knowing Yamaha this will probably be yet another disappointing, half-hearted upgrade of the current model!

End of rant!

Regards

Ian
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 11:23:19 AM by tyrosaurus »

The following users thanked this post: wersianer

Offline Doghouse Riley

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2018, 11:01:50 PM »
Thanks for the help, it's much appreciated.
In the end it was quite easy to find with the directions given me.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 07:52:14 AM by Doghouse Riley »
"I don't mind if you don't like my manners! I don't like 'em myself, they're pretty bad. I grieve over them on long winter evenings." (Philip Marlowe)

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2018, 04:17:44 AM »
All good comments, Ian.

I agree, it was tempting to wait for a Genos 2, but in the end I went for the bird in the hand choice.

On the sliders, I've never figured out their usefulness, because, as you say, their starting value and their position are seldom the same. I use the sliders on the screen, because their starting value is always correct.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons