Author Topic: S970 sound is disrupted when change voice/OTS  (Read 5735 times)

hey_haho

S970 sound is disrupted when change voice/OTS
« on: April 20, 2018, 01:46:49 AM »
Hi everyone,

I am among the newest joiners of the forum. Recently I got my S970 and I currently enjoy playing it every day.

However, I notice one irritating behaviour. For example, I am playing the melody of the first part of some song, and holding down a key, at the same time, changing the voice via registration button or via changing Main Variation with OTS linked on. It is for playing the Fill-In to move to part 2 of the song.

When the voice is changed, the sound from the key that I am pressing suddenly becomes distorted/disrupted and it sounds like I hit a big hump on the road.

Is there any setting that I should apply so that I can stull hear the old voice, without any disruption, until I release my finger and play another note, then voice 2 is applied?

Cheers,
Bach

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively

Offline Fred Smith

Re: S970 sound is disrupted when change voice/OTS
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2018, 03:59:17 AM »

Is there any setting that I should apply so that I can stull hear the old voice, without any disruption, until I release my finger and play another note, then voice 2 is applied?

No, there is not. This is a well known problem. Your choices are:

1. Take your hands off the keyboard.
2.  Don’t use voices with DSPs.
3. If you’re switching between two single voices, have one in R1 and one in R2.

Hope this helps,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline Toril S

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2018, 05:54:43 AM »
Fred is right. I also have an S970, and noticed this. The clue is to practice taking your hand of the keys when changing voices. I find it a little hard, but the technique comes with practice. Enjoy your S970, I certainly do :)
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

hey_haho

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2018, 09:36:46 AM »
Thanks Fred and Toril.

Just curious, as it is a well-known problem, do higher-end keyboards (Tyros, Genos) suffer the same issue?

Cheers,
Bach

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2018, 09:46:31 AM »
Just curious, as it is a well-known problem, do higher-end keyboards (Tyros, Genos) suffer the same issue?

Not Tyros, and not Genos. But there are others with Seamless Sound Switching, so you can google that term.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

hey_haho

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2018, 10:07:01 AM »
Thanks Fred. Appreciate your help and pointer!

Offline alanclare

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2018, 03:52:35 PM »
I just love the comparison, “it sounds like I hit a big hump on the road.”

Alan

Offline andyg

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2018, 06:40:04 PM »
It doesn't always happen with the S970. Take yesterday in the music school for example. A couple of my students are playing the same exam piece on their S970s. At one point they switch, using the foot switch, from a custom Koto sound, made up of a Hackbrett and another Oriental 'twang' sound in R1 and R2 respectively, to a Nay in R1. Kick the switch while holding the last 'koto' note and there's no glitch, the next note played is the Nay.

But when it does happen, it's often the DSP effects that cause the problem. The solution, other than turning off the DSP effects, is to go into the mixer and choose the same, suitable DSP effects for all the sounds being used on either side of the change, and then set the parameters for those DSP effects to the same values. Fiddly, but it does the job.

For the most part, and from a musical point of view, sound changes are best done when notes are not being held. If there's go gap in the written music, shorten the note before the change, or make a feature of the change by inserting a bar with a drum fill or a break. All down to arranging skills - a pretty vital part of keyboard playing, and mandatory for keyboard exams.
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

Offline alanclare

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2018, 09:09:33 PM »
Andyg

As a matter of interest, when the student is playing an arrangement, do you expect them to insert appropriate breathing spaces when wind instruments or indeed, human voices, are involved?

Alan
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 09:11:12 PM by alanclare »

Offline EileenL

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2018, 10:23:01 PM »
I think we should all try to do this and try to keep the instrument we are playing as if we actually were playing a wind instrument. The player needs to take a breath.

Offline alanclare

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2018, 10:38:25 PM »
Eileen

I do make an effort to think about “breathing space”, but unless I can play the piece semi-automatically I find it extraordinarily difficult to achieve. As an ex-trombonist, I should have more sympathy.

Alan

hey_haho

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2018, 02:12:06 AM »
For the most part, and from a musical point of view, sound changes are best done when notes are not being held.

Andyg I completely agree with you about the above quote. Actually the the cut off happens when I try to add a Fill (with OTS Link enabled), not the registration memory buttons. Sometimes it is not the notes which are being held, but the effect (for example, when I trigger S.Art via Pedal, Rock Hero is one of my favourite voice).

However, I have found the solution for OTS Link. Function -> Style Setting -> OTS Link timing -> Next Bar should do the job. Now I can hold the note/trigger while the Fill is in for the current Bar, which is better than deliberately omit S.Art via Pedal or release the note before pressing the Fill. For some song, the lasting effect of S.Art or holding note is quite magnificent, together with the drum in Fill.

Cheers,
Bach
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 02:45:12 AM by hey_haho »