Author Topic: S975 Mini-Review - Goodness!  (Read 16063 times)

Willy330ci

S975 Mini-Review - Goodness!
« on: April 19, 2018, 02:27:15 AM »
Hello everyone,

I promised to have a compact review about the S975 once I have received it, and guess what? I have received it on Monday finally.

I was upgrading from S910 so the jump is HUGE!

About a month ago I visited Guitar Center in Pasadena, CA and got me an S970 knowing that I can return it within 45 days. I wanted to have a feel for the general board and also I wanted to try some of the features that I never had in the S910, like Expansion Memory, Audio Styles, the Assignable knobs, the better and bigger LCD, etc.

In all honesty, I did not enjoy the experience of trying out the S970 for those reasons:

1. Boomy Sound no matter what I do to the EQ settings and I tried all forum user's recommendations, liked non - Sorry fellas!

2. EQ Configuration is still not as simple as the S910 which takes forever to adjust.

3. Keys feel noisy and clicky, in other words, feels "Cheap" with very little cushioning.

Before getting the S970 from Guitar Center the sales guys over there convinced me to give the KORG Pa1000 a shot, man this board looked and felt fantastic and the Keys feel were definitely phenomenal, compared with the S970, but I could not stand it for more than 48 hours, the styles are a Joke and the interface is crazy and very limiting. Voices other than ensembles and guitars are mediocre. Anyways, that is a story for another time.

Now, to the enhancements that I can see and feel in the S975:

1. Keys feel and noise - Completely different animal - feels very premium, balanced, without ANY noise

2. Speakers....... Out of the box experience was NOT Boomy and of course, being released 3 years after the S970, one would imagine that
Yamaha took those little fixes that everyone hoped for, and maybe sourcing the hardware was from different vendors too, So to recap on that, its totally different experience (Built-in Speakers), tuned, balanced and natural.

3. Build Quality - here is the not so good news, at least from my perspective: Yamaha changed the workstation color from the classy dark gray to Matte Black, some people will like this, but I for one, don't.

4. Overall system speed is enhanced, formatting Expansion memory takes about 5 seconds, and Pack installation is about 1/3 the time required on the S970. This is so good news because I play with those packs a lot, and it was very frustrating on the S970.

5. The (S-PLUS) is not consuming some part of the 768MB, hence, We have 768MB to play around with. This is pathetic move from Yamaha in 2018, should have been at least 2 GB. The Styles Section memory is still capped at 13MB like in the S970 so you can install more packs but you have to cut the numbers of the "Styles" from those packs combined. I hope you know what I mean.

Overall, I Love it, feels like home, again! I tried my tremendous Styles, Voices collection and all is sweet. One more thing is that the in-built Styles felt a bit brushed with the new Drum Kits, not as synthetic and toyish as they were on the S970. I like that a lot!

That's it for now, I will edit this post in the future if I feel that I need to add to it.

Feel free to ask me anything!

Will
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 02:35:38 AM by Willy330ci »

The following users thanked this post: Joe W, mosuhaimi, motekmusic, Jay B.

Offline RoyceM

Re: S975 Mini-Review - Goodness!
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 03:36:00 AM »
Thanks, Will. I'm eager to hear all that you and other S-975 users can share.

- Royce
DGX-305, Roland E60, S900, S910, S975, Center Point Stereo Spacestation V.3, Bose L1 Compact
PSR Performer page

Pino

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 12:56:20 PM »
That’s a good positive report

You’re right, the S950 and S970 are very boomy when using the internal speakers so much so that I don’t use very often, I’ve tried editing the EQ in many settings but still there, now I use external speakers and all is ok,

Yamaha is very mean with User memory at just 13MB, I can’t think why when most things start at 1GB these days.

I don’t think this one will be a big seller cos most players are waiting for the baby Genos, me included,

Happy Playing 🎹

Pino

The following users thanked this post: Onerous

Offline Patrick

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 01:02:07 PM »
Hi, the memory is too small as the "user memory" in Yem is also very small, you'll not be abble to load much more expansion packs than the S970, so Yamaha must make a big effort! all the best Patrick

Willy330ci

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2018, 01:14:56 AM »
Patric, who said anything about, "Load much more packs than the S970"?

But on a side note, the more Memory is definitely usable for Voices, RGT, Pads, so it can take more packs, just not a lot more Styles.

Offline Patrick

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2018, 05:02:01 AM »
Hi Willy, on the S970when you load some packs i,YE,you've a USER memory space of 13906 Mb; if it's the same amount of User Memory on the S975, you'll not add more packs! The voice Memory size is 509 Mb on the S970, in YEM but you must ckeck the USER space in YEM to add some more packs; have a nice day Patrick

PS: perhaps Yamaha had add also more space in YEM for the User memory on the S975
 ;)

Offline panos

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2018, 05:21:09 AM »
Nice review of your experience with the different models Willy.
Have fun with the s975 looks really nice.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2018, 06:28:48 AM »
Hi Willy! Congratulations with your S975! I agree with the noisy keys. They click loudly on my S970, but being an accordion player also I got used to it. The speakers are boomy. Had to buy an external speaker system to satisfy my audience, who complained about the boomyness. But apart from that, I love my S970 :)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 07:17:30 PM by Toril S »
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Willy330ci

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2018, 07:42:07 AM »
Glad you liked the mini review guys, again, please feel free to ask me anything!

The Black color is creeping "growing" on me, believe it or not!!! Am I crazy?

Offline panos

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2018, 08:11:53 AM »
Definition of boomy  :D
excessively resonant:
a loudspeaker with a boomy sound in the lower register.
music:
characterized by an exaggerated or excessive bass sound.

Well, it will sound good when playing heavy metal or trance music. ;D

I like that vintage colour of Korg Pa but also I like more the black than the grey colour of my previous keyboard.

Pino

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2018, 11:33:20 AM »
The definition is spot on,

Offline Paula

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2018, 07:02:04 AM »
 :) :)
 we just purchased the psr 975 from Frank ,,,,this is for an 81 year older gentleman he has never had a Yamaha keyboard and is not a technical person at all ,gosh I would of liked to have gotten a new PSR 970 like mine for teaching him,I hope there is not to much difference  in the systems and was hoping I could use my reg  without having to use a program? do you think the master EQ settings will be about the same as the 970? do you think this was a better decision getting the 975 verses the 970 ? I would be pleased with any information and comments regarding this Key Board ....I hope I have made the right choice for him
        Paula :) :)
You Tube
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1xEYzY5g_0Nd5G9TkMY6mA/videos
Genos 1,Tyros 4 and Bose S1 Pro, Bose L1 Mod 2 w/tonematch
PSR S970

The following users thanked this post: Onerous

Offline J. Larry

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2018, 12:25:17 PM »
Just got my S975 today.  Traded a S970 at Guitar Center.  My initial impression is that it sounds clearer and cleaner that the S970.  That may be a function of the EQ or effects settings.  Either way, think I’ll enjoy it for a while, like I did the S970 for three years.  Always like a new toy, whether I need it, or not.

Offline Paul B

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2018, 09:00:04 PM »
Got a 975 for myself yesterday, and I have mixed feelings about it. I still have my 970 and I have not decided whether the 975 will have a new home or go back to the store. It does sound better and clearer than the 970 but the keys themselves feel like they took them off one of their entry level keyboards. they are cheap plastic with sharp edges. The keys on the 970 are much nicer.

Paula, the good news is I just put my USB stick in and everything worked perfectly. I didn't have to change anything so far.

I did go in and set the EQ and compressor to the same settings I have on the 970 for starters. I will probably fiddle with those a bit yet. The board sounded terrible with the default settings.

I am really trying to like this board but the keys are a real disappointment. Shame on Yamaha for putting such low quality keys on a board in this price range. I will try it fo a couple of gigs this coming week and then make a final decision.

Paul B.

Paul B
Kenosha, WI

PSR-SX900, Bose S1 Pro(2)

Offline Paula

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2018, 09:55:00 PM »
 :) :)
 Paul
 thank you so much for the input, this man is not familier with technology he cant even turn the computer on,he plays a one finger cord and sings ,he has played guitar with bands but no longer can do that he has arthritis in his hands,he used to play the guitar with his technics key board ,he does some small gigs for the seniors and others and he has a bose compact, I am going to try help him some he had so much fun here when he played the 970 he just had to buy one ,gosh the key bed probably wont make to much difference to him as long as it sounds good,
     thanks Paul
 keep in touch  :) :)
You Tube
PSR S970

beykock

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2018, 11:29:43 PM »
Hi Paul,

Cannot you bring it back to your dealer ?
30 or 60 days trial period should be applicable IMHO.

Babette

Offline Paul B

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2018, 12:23:49 AM »
Babette,

Sure, returning it is an option but I really like the sound it produces so I will try it for a few days and then make a decision.

Paula,

The keybed isn't THAT bad, but it is definitely not as good as the 970 (IMHO).

Paul B
Paul B
Kenosha, WI

Offline Paula

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2018, 12:44:33 AM »
Babette,

Sure, returning it is an option but I really like the sound it produces so I will try it for a few days and then make a decision.

Paula,

The keybed isn't THAT bad, but it is definitely not as good as the 970 (IMHO).

Paul B
thanks again Friend....I think we always like our older key boards at first until we get used to the new one ,I didnt like my T4 at first but I am still crazy about it,I have played the 970 somewhat but the T4 is better for me  good luck Paul
You Tube
PSR S970

Offline J. Larry

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2018, 12:02:48 PM »
I agree with Paul B. on his observations about the S975.  I, too, like the overall sound (after some adjustments); but the feel of the keyboard is certainly less than that of the S970.  That was the first thing I noticed.  I’m keeping it, however.  I can’t tell if the onboard styles have been reworked, or what.  They sound better, a more polished effect.  I like the way that many of the endings hold and fade, like a real recording.  The fills work nicely, too.  In great contrast to the Korg PA 1000, which I have, as well.

The following users thanked this post: motekmusic

Offline RoyceM

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2018, 02:02:09 PM »
I'm in a state of shock and want to verbally "pout" a little.

My S-910 is seven years old and has done over 1400 performances (It's also had lots of repairs.).  So, yesterday I spent two hours with the S-975 at my local music store.

When I went, I was seriously willing to move up to the S-975, but I was shocked at how cheap the plain shaped box, and especially the black finish and white lettering looked. Why would they put nice technology in such a poor wrapping? (I hope the insides are not cheapened too.) It just doesn't appear at all professional to me.

Is the S-975 appearance unique, or is it comparable to the S-970 and S-950?

Guess I'll "put a sock in it" for now. Thanks for "listening."

- Royce

DGX-305, Roland E60, S900, S910, S975, Center Point Stereo Spacestation V.3, Bose L1 Compact
PSR Performer page

Offline Joe H

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2018, 03:03:22 PM »
Patric, who said anything about, "Load much more packs than the S970"?

But on a side note, the more Memory is definitely usable for Voices, RGT, Pads, so it can take more packs, just not a lot more Styles.

Huh? We don't need more User Memory for any files but the Voices. The styles and other files in the packs use very little memory. It's the Voices that consume most of the memory.

Joe H
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 03:07:10 PM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

beykock

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2018, 09:38:43 PM »
Hi Paul,

Good to hear you are allowed to return the S975.

Maybe you'd better wait for its successor, a small Genos, who knows ( without touch screen maybe ? ).

Babette
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 09:40:19 PM by beykock »

DCKeyboard

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2018, 04:06:41 PM »
Quick question. Is it not possible to switch the Styles around inside the USB drive without loading or something like that? Or how does it work? The YPG235 is kinda similar to the S975 with the limited hard drive.

Offline Paul B

« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2018, 08:37:59 PM »
I don't really understand your question. Try re-phrasing it to explain what you mean by "switch the styles around inside the USB drive".

Paul B
Paul B
Kenosha, WI

DCKeyboard

« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2018, 04:38:47 AM »
I don't really understand your question. Try re-phrasing it to explain what you mean by "switch the styles around inside the USB drive".

Paul B

Oh well what I mean is instead of switching the Styles from the computer to the pc like Copying and Pasting back and forth. Doesn't do the same on the keyboard? I apologize for mistakes with the words. It's been happening to me for quite sometime.

Offline Paul B

« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2018, 07:28:14 AM »
Still not sure I understand what you are trying to do but...
I keep all of my work, (styles and registrations) on my USB stick. I don't use "User Memory" For anything other than packs from Yamaha. That way I am totally independent from  keyboard and as I said earlier in this thread, when I changed from a 970 to a new 975, everything worked perfectly. Now, organizing your USB storage is a whole different subject.

Hope this helps.

Paul  B
Paul B
Kenosha, WI

DonM

« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2018, 08:53:51 AM »
Yes, you can Copy, Paste and delete files on the keyboard.

Offline panos

« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2018, 08:55:52 AM »
Dc,
you can have unlimited styles and voices in the usb stick.
No problem with that.

The user memory is needed to load premium purchased packs that have new drumkits,voices and styles like these:
https://eu.yamahamusicsoft.com/sound-and-expansion-libraries/premium-packs-and-voices?___store=eu_retail_en&

So you cannot have unlimited premium packs or create your own unlimited packs that is why the bigger user memory is better.

As for the styles and voices etc you can move them around on the usb when it is connected to the keyboard the same way you can do it when the usb is connected to the pc using the "copy-paste" function of windows.

DCKeyboard

« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2018, 10:01:36 AM »
Yes, you can Copy, Paste and delete files on the keyboard.

Dc,
you can have unlimited styles and voices in the usb stick.
No problem with that.

The user memory is needed to load premium purchased packs that have new drumkits,voices and styles like these:
https://eu.yamahamusicsoft.com/sound-and-expansion-libraries/premium-packs-and-voices?___store=eu_retail_en&

So you cannot have unlimited premium packs or create your own unlimited packs that is why the bigger user memory is better.

As for the styles and voices etc you can move them around on the usb when it is connected to the keyboard the same way you can do it when the usb is connected to the pc using the "copy-paste" function of windows.

Thank you both. Exactly what i needed to know.  ;) ;)

cooknl

« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2018, 06:37:36 PM »
Hi all,

I just purchased the PSR-S775 yesterday, I can exchange it within two weeks for the S975.

I been playing around with the voices and I noticed that I dont seem to have aftertouch capability, especially noticeable in some saxofone sounds.
Can anyone tell me if i am missing something or is it not possible on the S775.
Does the psr-s975 have the aftertouch capability?? If so my S775 is gonna get exchanged, but I thought I better ask here first before I do the exchange for not.

Rob

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2018, 07:29:30 PM »
As far as I know, neither the current nor the prior PSR-S models have aftertouch. The Genos and Tyros do, but not the PSR-S line.

Offline RoyceM

« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2018, 01:06:24 PM »
I AM EATING HUMBLE PIE

Earlier in this thread I was very critical of the S-975's appearance, for which I am now embarrassed.

Today I revisited the store and found it set up in different lighting. What I thought was white lettering was actually attractive gray and the whole impact was improved in the better lighting.

While I was there, a fellow came into the store trying to find a used S-910 for a very special use. So...I sold him my S-910 and bought an S-975.

- Royce
PSR Performer page

Offline Paul B

« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2018, 08:04:03 PM »
Congratulation Royce, I am sure you will enjoy the 975. I am really getting to love mine.

Paul B
Paul B
Kenosha, WI

Offline Joe H

« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2018, 11:26:16 PM »
I AM EATING HUMBLE PIE

Earlier in this thread I was very critical of the S-975's appearance, for which I am now embarrassed.

Today I revisited the store and found it set up in different lighting. What I thought was white lettering was actually attractive gray and the whole impact was improved in the better lighting.

While I was there, a fellow came into the store trying to find a used S-910 for a very special use. So...I sold him my S-910 and bought an S-975.

- Royce

Congratulations on your upgrade Royce!

As some people have already said... we get used to what we have and when we upgrade we are often disappointed in the sound or panel layout or whatever.  But after awhile, we see that Yamaha knows what they are doing (they have been making keyboards for a long time) and the new keyboard starts to grow on us (we get used to the change).

I went from an S910 (nice keyboard) to the S970 (better keyboard) but was not disappointed at all. Once I got used to the dark gray housing, I wouldn't go back to silver for anything. And I love having the expansion capability... but wish there was more.  So I'm waiting for the next PSR to be released, hopefully with 1 gig of memory because I have already used all the S970 expansion memory.

Regards,
Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline motekmusic

« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2018, 07:47:34 PM »
I AM EATING HUMBLE PIE

- Royce

Thanks Royce.

Was a bit wary when ordering the s975 as am just upgrading from the s970  .   Not a big jump, but glad to hear you are
happy now with the machine.   Also am looking forward to reworked upgraded styles, although not any new ones.
I hope the feel of the keyboard will not be an issue.

cheers
elaine
\\\"I have suffered for my music, now it\\\'s your turn\\\"   Neil Innes

Offline RoyceM

« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2018, 11:26:04 AM »
Hi Elaine,

I am impressed with the feel of the keys on the S975; compared with my S910, they are solid and quiet. With you having S970 experience, you are way ahead of me coming from an S910.

I am learning just as fast as I can. This end of the pool is deeper than where I had been swimming...but it sure is fun.

- Royce
PSR Performer page

Offline motekmusic

« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2018, 06:39:38 PM »
 :)
Hi,

Got the s975 last evening and put a short review in the other thread started by Beykock...
So far quite pleased but have lots more to delve into.

http://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,45285.0.html

cheers
elaine
\\\"I have suffered for my music, now it\\\'s your turn\\\"   Neil Innes

beykock

« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2018, 08:47:07 PM »
Hi Royce,

Good to hear you are pleased with your new baby.
Mine will arrive early next week.
Cross my fingers ...

Babette

beykock

« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2018, 08:56:57 PM »
Hi Paul B,

Happy to hear your S975 finally seems to offer you what you need.👍

Babette