Author Topic: Arpeggio/Harmony button  (Read 5987 times)

opticat

Arpeggio/Harmony button
« on: April 18, 2018, 11:31:03 PM »
There is probably a simple solution which I am totally overlooking here, but here we go. I've been trying a lot of voices-- especially synths. Most of them sound rather thin, so by applying harmony for the right hand voice and playing a chord on the left (even with no volume) it sort of fattens them and produces a sound that I might use. But every time I change voices, the Harmony reverts to Arpeggio/Filter and Gate. This is a problem in that I need to go to that menu and change it to Harmony-- every time I change a voice to hear how it will sound. It is almost like the default for the Harmony button is Arpeggio/Filter and Gate. Any suggestions?

Online EileenL

Re: Arpeggio/Harmony button
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 11:15:07 PM »
Some voices are set this way. Just alter the setting to Harmony and save to registration.

Offline DerekA

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 11:36:31 PM »
Another common trick is to layer the same voice on R1 / R2 (even R3) but detune them, e.g. make one +5c and the other -5c. This will fatten up synths.

But you definitely have to save that setup as a registration. When you save it, choose to save voice only so that activating the registration doesn't touch style etc.

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2018, 12:25:45 AM »
But every time I change voices, the Harmony reverts to Arpeggio/Filter and Gate. This is a problem in that I need to go to that menu and change it to Harmony-- every time I change a voice to hear how it will sound. It is almost like the default for the Harmony button is Arpeggio/Filter and Gate. Any suggestions?
You should be able to avoid this happening if once you have set the Harmony required, you go to Voice Setting in the menu,  choose Voice Set filter and remove the tick from Keyboard Harmony/ Arpeggio. Note that even when unticked registrations will continue to make their programmed changes so they are not affected. It is when you manually select a voice that whatever properties are unticked are filtered out.
(Alternatively Direct Access followed by pressing one of the Part Select buttons will get you there.)

John
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 12:36:12 AM by jwyvern »

opticat

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2018, 05:53:38 AM »
I may have stated it wrong, but all is well with saving something to a registration. It is experimenting by trying out different voices to hear how they will sound that is a several step process with the synths. It will start with arpeggio, so I go to that screen and switch to harmony and play with those. Then, if I try a different synth, it starts out on arpeggio again and I have to go back to the screen and change it to harmony. Seems like the default for synths is arpeggio?

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2018, 06:14:25 AM »
Some Synths show harmony, others Arpeggio by default on my Genos. If you want them always to come up as harmony do as I suggested in my previous post. For example Vintage Arp comes up with Arpeggio by default, but after you remove that tick, and make sure harmony is selected for the first voice you try, Vintage Arp and any following selections will now come up as harmony. With this setting in place all my voices will come up with harmony showing.
John
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 06:15:45 AM by jwyvern »

opticat

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2018, 03:29:22 AM »
Thanks, jwyvwrn, your advice solved my problem. I was just trying to get a synth that sounded like the one in the intro for “The Living Years”, and now I can go through them without having to use several steps for each one! There are enough synths in the presets and legacy and I am certain I can get one to sound close.

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2018, 05:17:45 AM »
You can use the Voice Set filter for more than just the Harmony. For example if you have a DSP that you want to audition across a range of voices you can check this very quickly by unticking Effect, which will freeze the DSP in place while you bring in the various voices and listen to how they sound.
John

opticat

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2018, 08:06:16 AM »
Again, thanks, John! Amazing what this instrument can do. I will try that next.