Author Topic: CVP 407: sound problem  (Read 7484 times)

Chorus_18

CVP 407: sound problem
« on: April 18, 2018, 04:31:10 PM »
Hello,

I have a problem with my CVP-407 (bought 9 years ago): in the last years, I have been using it only to practise piano through its internal speakers. Recently, I used it with headphones and found that sound was only coming from the right headphone. I thought it was a problem with my headphones. However, the other day I wanted to play the CVP using the styles and noticed immediately that sound was coming from the top right internal speaker but not from the left one (when I put the ear close to it, I could hear only a slight hiss). I also listened to some internal demo songs and the result was the same: no sound from the top left speaker (I also tried with my headphones again and same 'equivalent' result: no sound from the left headphone). I also tried connecting 2 external PC speakers to the headphones jack and same result: no sound from the left speaker. I haven’t tried yet connecting these 2 external PC speakers to the CVP aux out.

I hadn’t realised this problem until now because I had been using my CVP only to practise piano at very moderate volume (through its internal speakers). I can confirm that, in the past, I have played piano with headphones (no problems with the sound) and used styles (and sound was coming from both top speakers). Finally, I have tried executing the CVP 'factory system reset' but the problem persists.

Any idea?

Thank you very much in advance and regards,
Pablo

Offline mikf

Re: CVP 407: sound problem
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 11:40:58 PM »
Could be anything from a failed component on a circuit board to a loose wire. Shouldn't be hard to fix, but sounds like you need a visit from a Yamaha Tech, unless you are very comfortable getting into the guts of these instruments yourself.
Mike

Chorus_18

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 08:58:32 PM »
Thank you very much for your reply, Mike. I'll contact a Yamaha tech.

Kastor

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2018, 11:42:10 PM »
Experienced a very similar issue on my CVP 407 about one year ago. It has been fixed by a service tech. Turned out it was a bad contact somewere in a bunch of wire connecting the main board to the front panel ( located on the left side). Moving the cover panel from closed to open position back and forth did trigger the bad contact symptom ( try it, holding a sustained note).
Could not pinpoint the exact location of the broken wire. The whole bunch of wire was replaced as a single unit, fixing the problem.
Hope it will help...

Benoit

Chorus_18

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2018, 05:41:10 AM »
Hello,

Thank you very much for your comment, Benoit.

Last week, a Yamaha tech was checking  my CVP. At first, he thought that the problem was a faulty amplification board but, after trying with a new one, the problem persisted. Then, he started to  check all the wire connections on the left side and noticed that, suddenly, there was some sound from the left speaker (and from the left headphone) when moving the cover panel from open to closed position or the other way round: the bunch of wire connected to the left speaker seemed to be too tight and, depending on the cover panel position, there was some kind of bad contact that caused the problem. The tech just loosened the wires a little... and problem solved.

Pablo