Author Topic: Playing MIDI song and perform with it!  (Read 5811 times)

Offline sugarplumsss

Playing MIDI song and perform with it!
« on: April 16, 2018, 10:42:35 PM »
That issue I have wrestled with is:
I want to create variety among eg., the electric pianos, during a song.
Now my approach, may be the issue, but when I switch to another Piano, the new voice seems to have a "baked in ROM” reverb setting and octave setting. When I switch voice I am rudely surprised with the octave change in the R1 2 or 3 voice section.

To solve this I tried creating a series of Electric piano voices without reverb.
It is not convenient though to tab over to a folder I called Voices, where not only the there are a bunch of electric pianos, but other sectors for bass, acoustic piano, etc etc.

And this temporary solution does not deal with fact that voice often drops 1 octave lower than the registration setting I initially chose.

By the way, I used the MIDI song function on a gig yesterday, more than I ever have. I must have used 50 MIDI Songs on a 4 hour gig.  What I did was play voices along with the MIDI Song.

So I used the T4 in an unusual way, and I see promise in the MIDI song approach.
But to stay focussed on my question
Can anyone think of a way to change a voice while performing that maintains the Octave position and the reverb setting I choose, and not the ROM based settings?

I have found the Yamaha MIDI Songs to be an excellent, though not inexpensive ( about $9 per song ) way to perform. I am sorry I did not discover these Yamaha Songs years ago.  I play full time music, for 50 years now. The pre 1960 music, I simply play on the T4 without bothering with accompaniments. I just use drum style and the rest I perform.

However the MIDI songs are a whole other level as they are so well done ( generally )  that with post 1960 music, I find they are invaluable for possibly opening up new, more dance oriented gigs. For Instance I have a few Michael Jackson MIDI's that really have potential to lift me almost to DJ status! Well not exactly, but you know what I mean.
 In other words the crowd who were much younger than me, began to actually like this music. BTW, I am not singing these post 1960's ( Pop music ) songs, it is strictly instrumental. I used a sax player yesterday.

Problems I run into are.. the fact that Tyros does not have enough dedicated buttons for functions of MIDI songs, AND at the same time performing on those MIDI songs.
This is an ambitious concept for me.

I suspect a few of the younger users of this amazing creation, the Tyros, have maybe found one of two solutions:
You either are using a computer or iPad to play your song, and using the tyros as a keyboard.

Or you have 2 keyboards on gig, thus allowing the on the fly edits of the MiDI song
and also the performance keyboard .

-One limitation of T4, you can only set a total of 2 songs in Song Mode.
- Sometimes a voice that MIDI is using for the lead or counter melody needs to be attenuated.   Ditto for bass and Drums.. either louder or softer.
All of that, while setting up the next song and while performing along with the Song !
This is an exciting new idea for me. I see potential here, I never saw when I first purchased T4.
I would like to hear from those of you who use a modernized music approach to Tyros.
How do you deal with wanting to edit a MIDI while also editing you keyboard performance.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 11:48:41 PM by sugarplumsss »
I use T4 as a drum machine. Playing my own acmp and bass. MIDI songs are my latest interest. If anyone wishes to share knowledge on MIDI songs let me know.

Offline panos

Re: Playing MIDI song and perform with it!
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 03:41:32 AM »
Hi sugarplumsss,
I don't have T4 and I didn't understand what ROM settings mean.
If you edit a voice you can choose in what octave you want that voice to be played through edit voice menu.
While probably you use these piano sounds for right/left hand playing as I understand,
you could create some registrations just to save voices and effects.
If you tell a registration to save a voice which is one octave up,then the registration will always call that voice and always will be one octave up.

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 04:44:10 AM »
You're correct that each preset voice has specific parameter settings associated with it, such that selecting a given voice causes those parameters to be changed. These include the effects settings.

One solution is to select a preset voice, modify its parameter settings as desired, and save it as a user voice. The effects settings and other voice-related settings will still change when you select the user voice, but they will change to the settings that you had chose when creating the user voice.

EDIT -- Oh, I see your other topic now and that you're already familiar with user voices.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 04:47:06 AM by SeaGtGruff »

The following users thanked this post: MBedesem, sugarplumsss

Offline sugarplumsss

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 01:40:09 AM »
Hi sugarplumsss,
I don't have T4 and I didn't understand what ROM settings mean.
If you edit a voice you can choose in what octave you want that voice to be played through edit voice menu.
While probably you use these piano sounds for right/left hand playing as I understand,
you could create some registrations just to save voices and effects.
If you tell a registration to save a voice which is one octave up,then the registration will always call that voice and always will be one octave up.

Thanks Man.... I am beginning to think Fred Smith's suggestion is the way to do on the fly voice changes.
I use T4 as a drum machine. Playing my own acmp and bass. MIDI songs are my latest interest. If anyone wishes to share knowledge on MIDI songs let me know.

Offline sugarplumsss

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2018, 11:30:55 PM »
panos ( is that name of Greek origin ? ) and a shout out ( thank you ) to SeaGtGruff

here is a quote from you that peaks my interest

"you could create some registrations just to save voices and effects.
If you tell a registration to save a voice which is one octave up,then the registration will always call that voice and always will be one octave up."

Below, when I use the term "voices", I mean the voice combinations of Left and Right 1 2 and 3... including ALL the settings ( All that are feasible for my purpose ) that make those voice combinations sound so good. Panning, EFX, octave, individual eq etc.

I find Yamaha has done a very nice job at combining voices. I want to easily copy the 4 voices and effects of these, and save them, but separated ( if feasible ) from the styles or registrations or OTS associated with the voice / effect / octave position/ panning/ in short, every setting that makes those voices sound so good.

Say I am wishing to take those voice combinations and put them in a different style' and with a SONG... all connected to a registration...
if the voice combinations associated with a particular style could be separated from their original place, and saved in a  folder of registrations, containing only these voice COMBINATIONS, this would save a lot of time.

I had suggested this before, and was told.. that why not recreate the voices ( from scratch )  and be done with it. My objection is this.
Those voice combinations found, eg, in a Disco beat with OTS and ACC on, are not just voices.... they are EQ, Octave, panning, and perhaps other voice settings.

It would be great if I could just once, extract the voices ( L and R 1 2 3 ) as a whole, placing them, as you mentioned, into a place ( FOLDER, of Registrations with all my fave voice combo's) for easy access .  Then when creating a new registration  just easily take one of these voice combinations and place it in a new context , a new registration.

I have gone against the grain of what Tyros was designed for, using it as a glorified drum machine... so I may be barking up the wrong tree. But panos, you got me thinking!
And thank you again.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 11:36:37 PM by sugarplumsss »

Offline panos

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2018, 04:40:06 AM »
Yes John you are right I am from Greece  :)
and you can make registrations ONLY with compilations of voices for the right and left hand if you want.
Two right hand voices+one left hand voice+all the effects of those voices.

I  have registrations for example with combilations of piano sounds or string sounds so when I push a button of those registrations nothing else changes but just the voices.
So when you play a midi song you can easilly choose 8 combilation of voices.

All you need to do is mark the Voice and Harmony button while saving  the registration and leave all the other boxes unmarked if you wish (song,style,multipad,transpose etc) just for this kind of registrations with voices only.
That way it is easy to find some voices you like.

If you want that registration to call also a specific song then also mark voice+harmony+song.
Or make one reg with a song and one reg without any song,just give different names to the registrations.

When people saying about making a new voice from scratch, they really mean is that we pick the preset voices make a combination and then go to the voice edit menu to make them sound to our liking with some different effects than the preset effects.
It depends on the song and our way of playing it.

As for the folders that Yamaha keyboards and windows are using,
consider them as if the main folder is the house (registrations folder) ,inside the house there are rooms(registrations with songs and registrations with voices only etc),inside in each room there are closets(registrations with '60s songs) and so on...
The way we make these foldres it depends on how we can find easilly someting that we want.
So there is no need to build a skyscraper  ;D

The picture is from Fred's reg lesson (psr tutorial).

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 04:48:49 AM by panos »

The following users thanked this post: sugarplumsss

Offline sugarplumsss

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2018, 05:20:14 AM »
2 questions   And big thank you from California   :)
you said 2 Right voices!!  Does T3 only have 2 R?  The T4 has 3!

And you said to save voice, which makes sense
but you also said  "harmony" box as well.
Is this suggestion because you use the harmony ?
I thought harmony was for singing into harmony effects in Tyros!?

Big thank you

Be back when I try this

OT
How is Greece doing economically after the awful frightening hit you guys took?
I had Greek friends who mentioned it when it first happened ... but I have not seen them since 4 years ago.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 05:24:19 AM by sugarplumsss »

Offline panos

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2018, 05:52:37 AM »
You are right,I have the s750 and forgot the 3rd voice,although I don't know if you have to mark another box for the 3rd voice settings on your Tyros 4.

Harmony is really an effect like the others.
It adds more notes to your playing according to the chord you are playing with your left hand and sometimes is a very nice effect.
Choose a voice combilation press the button direct access and then press the harmony button.
Start playing with your left and right hand and listen what happens.
(The acomp button for the left hand must be on)
There are many choices there to choose something that feets to the voices and the melody you are playing.
I personally like the harmony with brass sounds.
Yamaha is also have it in "on position" in some preset OTS settings.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_bOKVxobxg

Things are settled somehow here.Still lots of unemployment,small wages and insane taxes but is ok.
Still got a lovely sun and a fine weather  :D
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 06:13:44 AM by panos »

The following users thanked this post: sugarplumsss

Offline sugarplumsss

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2018, 06:42:47 AM »
Greece update

Glad to hear this news. So you do gigs for pay, or home studio?

Offline panos

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2018, 08:54:01 AM »
I was allready an adult when I started to learning how to play music, so I am just playing home for fun.  :D