Author Topic: Genos Status comments and questions  (Read 5819 times)

Offline motekmusic

Genos Status comments and questions
« on: April 17, 2018, 09:56:26 PM »
 :)
Hi,
Here in Israel, the genos has yet to arrive to my dealer in Netanya,, Kley Zemer,, it is not at the main tel aviv store and not as of
a few days ago even on their website.   I was told it may arrive next month... I visited the Haifa store last week just in case it
had arrived without anybody knowing it.  There is NO waiting list for this machine at either dealership.   The ty 5s are sold out.
I was offered 3,000 usa dollars a few months back for my ty 5 and am not in hurry to sell it.   However, i do keep up with these
boards and watch lots of genos videos.  My husband has offered to get that machine for me, even though am planning to upgrade
the 970 to the 975 which is also not here in the music store... looks like mid summer.

So have arrived at some questions about the Genos to help make a better decision for procuring the instrument.
1.   Is there a Hard drive like in the tyros 5.
2.    How big is the user area?
3.    When making registrations does the bank require the style to be on the same usb stick.   The ty 5 still for me has reg. problems
        with imported styles, even though those styles are on the stick.
4.    Are the Genos speakers good enough for home use.  My ty 5 uses logitechs ??? but if get the Genos would like the speakers.

Some comments so far as to what i have seen on videos.
1.  To access the GM voices which contain my beloved SFX, Bonners suggested to copy them from the Tyros on a stick so can have them
     I would imagine that copying from the s970 would render same results...  Suppose could just copy the sfx section and put on
     USER section voices.
2.  Am not so thrilled about the divisions of genre.. the Movie show was split into Classics,  etc.
     Pop rock is split,,, and have to know difference B/W  oldies and retro  etc.   I like one stop shopping.   
3.   Would like to see a demo video where the demoer is not fidgeting with all those knobs and buttons.   When playing do not like
      to start playing with knobs and sliders.   On the ty 5 i do not go deep at all and hope that the voices on the genos are good as
      is without resorting to adjusting continually.
4.   Having 76 keys is not a big deal as have the dgx550 to satisfy my piano playing.   Am not sure how adding the extra keys enhances
      ones' music output.   We do have octave buttons on most arrangers to get the highs and lows.   
5.   Do not use the ty 5 or genos for outside playing so weight o an issue.   Am really anxious for that psr S series upgrade.
 6.   Got myself a 4 port usb hub at one of the stores in the states, maybe Best Buy,, can't remember but only about 20.00 $
       and much easier to use than sticking usb sticks in the back .. better access...  I should have bought a couple more for
       use on the 970 and my laptop.

That is it so far.   Will check next week again if arrived.. 
Thanks for chugging through this post.  any comments appreciated.

have a great sumer
cheers
elaine

\\\"I have suffered for my music, now it\\\'s your turn\\\"   Neil Innes

Offline EileenL

Re: Genos Status comments and questions
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 12:09:47 AM »
Hi Elaine,
  I don't think there is a big advantage in the 975 over the 970. It has more memory and a few voice and style packs in it. I certainly will look towards the new one that will be like Genos baby brother and out in around 18 months. I am sure.
  The Genos operating system is very much like Tyros 5 and therefore is easy to get used to. The touch screen works very well indeed.
   We no longer have a hard drive as such but 54GB of user memory that is plenty big enough for most and with the addition of a 64 Gb USB stick which you can secure under the keyboard gives you plenty of storage.
   Genos also has 1.8 Gb of flash memory in it that will house lots of voice packs.
I have copied all my styles onto the user section and make my registrations using these and also save yo user. You will not have a problem with them linking providing you don't move the styles around. Exactly the same as Tyros.
  I find the Genos speakers extremely good for home use. There are sections on Genos where you can save things to a favorite section very quickly. This is very useful when you find styles you like onboard as you can save to Favorites and then find very quickly.
  There are lots more features on Genos which help you find things very quickly.
For me all in all it is the best Yamaha keyboard so far and the sound is gorgeous.

Offline guitpic1

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 01:13:31 AM »
+1 for what Eileen said.

I have the S970, excellent board but the Genos is so much better; a real joy to play.  I also had the Tyros4 and find the Genos easier to operate.
guitpic1

For me, the goal is to keep growing/learning.

Offline motekmusic

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2018, 04:16:55 PM »
 :)

Thanks Eileen for your swift reply.
As to waiting for the baby brother, that will be a long wait for me, as we are 6 months or more behind actual release of the
keyboard. So that is another 2 or more years.  The 975 might not be delivered for another 4 months and it is a financial move for me as want to keep up with trade ins. 
If i waited another 2 or more years, my 970 might not get a good trade in value at the music dealer.   
My husband wants me to keep the Ty 5  even if get the Genos.    Don't have room for both.
   Am glad to hear storage areas  for user and the flash.   Am very spoiled with the hard drive storage on the ty 5.   Anyway i still have lots
of time to accumlate information and be ready for the Genos if and when arrives.     
   Here is another consideration that because we get very late deliveries, perhaps we will get a batch of new Genos where the bugs
already fixed.   When i got the s970 and ty5 there was no need to upgrade firmware.   Am thinking that will not have to deal with
firmware as already installed.
  In meantime still watching tutorials so can be ready if and when the Genos arrives and decide to order it.

All the best to you and many thanks for your hard work and attention to this forum

cheers
   elaine

Offline motekmusic

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2018, 04:22:32 PM »
Thanks Guitpic for your reply.

Am sure the sounds are superior to our Tyroses.   Am not happy with the new design and the 76 keys so right there is a problem.
Do not have to go on a waiting list here for this machine.   Have time till the Genos arrives here.
For sure will be upgrading the S machine.   
Glad you like your 970,, great keyboard

cheers
elaine

Offline EileenL

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2018, 07:50:09 PM »
Hi Elaine,
  Most if not all bugs have been fixed now and we just had the latest update to 1.30. The user memory on Genos works just the same as a hard drive but with no moving parts to worry about.

Pino

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2018, 08:44:52 PM »
Elaine,
Why don’t you take a trip to UK sometime
Buy at the cheapest price
And get 20% vat back when you go through the airport
That’s a free holiday  :)

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2018, 09:17:52 PM »
Elaine, don't worry about 76 keys. I seldom use the Octave button anymore. I always needed it for my T4 (61 keys). My T5 had 76 keys, and I will never own another 61 key keyboard.

Eileen is correct - the bugs are gone. We are now only posting "wish list items." If there are OS upgrades, you don't need to wait months just like the arrival of your Genos! The upgrades are of course instantly available through the internet - but you knew that :).
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline Pianoman

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2018, 01:33:21 AM »
Hi Elaine,
  I don't think there is a big advantage in the 975 over the 970. It has more memory and a few voice and style packs in it.

T5  =>  Genos ?

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2018, 02:05:36 AM »
If budget permits, I'd "T5 => Genos." :).
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2018, 06:10:19 AM »
Hi Elaine,
  You will find that the design of Genos has been very well thought out and in many ways is easier to use than T5.

Offline motekmusic

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2018, 05:25:07 PM »
Hi Elaine,
  Most if not all bugs have been fixed now and we just had the latest update to 1.30. The user memory on Genos works just the same as a hard drive but with no moving parts to worry about.

Hi Eileen

Yes, the bugs are fixed by the upgrade firmware and perhaps the batch that will be recieved soon here in Israel will also have those
bugs fixed already .   Thanks again... also for your comment about design.
   It was not the lay out so much but somehow, although my psr is black , this one looked not as streamlined as the tyros.
   I will miss the tilted screen.   However if it takes the space that my ty 5 is in, one will not really notice it so much as it is
   placed between 2 book shelves which sort of hides  the machine. 

Thanks again for your input,,

cheers
elaine

Offline motekmusic

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2018, 05:31:55 PM »
Elaine,
Why don’t you take a trip to UK sometime
Buy at the cheapest price
And get 20% vat back when you go through the airport
That’s a free holiday  :)

Hello Pino,

It is not so much to cost of the machine, but what i can get for the Ty 5, trade in or outside sale.   Also, depends how adamant
my husband will be to keep this machine as well.

If ever to travel to procur an instrument it would be probably Copenhagen.. Lived there over 25 years and the music dealer is
Super Sound,, where have purchased many of my yammies.   When i came in 6 years ago, i brought the Ty 3 and the s910
Subsequently have upgraded here in Israel.   Right now do not want to travel anywhere.. such an ordeal..  We usually take
to the states early fall and that is enough for me.   Have already been to Manchester and London a few times.
Cute idea you had,,, instead why don't you bring me one and stay here,,,that's a free holiday.......

cheers
elaine