Author Topic: Ho to use the loop function on Genos  (Read 3516 times)

Kaarlo von Freymann

Ho to use the loop function on Genos
« on: April 14, 2018, 08:20:33 PM »
Hello everyone.

I often use the excellently arranged midi files you can buy from Yamaha Soft  as a background for singing or playing  by muting the melody.

https://eu.yamahamusicsoft.com/?___store=eu_retail_en&

Genos has the function (also Tyros 5 had it, but the layout of the set up is much improved in Genos) to loop a part of the song in case you need to prolong it, which in a live situation is very often the case.  I find it difficult to insert the the loop points  100 % correctly so that  the loop is seamless, especially if the part to loop starts not on beat one but on a beat of the previous bar - as on for example Flamingo.
On  1.10 there was a delete function so you could easily get rid of a wrong loop point and do it again. On my Genos this function seems to have been omitted or been put somewhere else ? What is the best way to   

a.  get the loop point in the right spot (there seem to be a lot of "click points" but could not find the right one for this)
                                  b.   remove it in case you made a mistake or change your mind

Please advise.

Cheers

Kaarlo

Kaarlo von Freymann

Re: Ho to use the loop function on Genos
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 08:35:37 PM »
quote author=Kaarlo von Freymann link=topic=44349.msg349360#msg349360 date=1523733633]

I can see a lot of members have read my question  - this modern site-technology is awesome -  but no answers yet, so it seems there is no evident or easy solution.  Maybe  this in my view very useful function is not widely used by members.

How to
                                  a.  get the loop point in the right spot
                                  b.  remove it in case you made a mistake or change your mind

Eileen and Fred in general  post a working solution immediately  :)  In this case they have not. 

Cheers

Kaarlo

Offline Dromeus

Re: Ho to use the loop function on Genos
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 11:23:24 PM »
Hello Kaarlo

You may use the Song Editor in StepEdit mode to modify/delete Markers.

See Reference Manual p85 about Editing Song Position Markers and p77 ff about Step Editing.

In Step Editing you have to set the Target Channel to SysEx. In the Event Filter you may want to set all ticks to off except for Marker. You can then easily delete any marker or modify the song position of any marker to the desired position (measure/beat/tick).

HTH
Michael
Regards, Michael

Kaarlo von Freymann

How to use the loop function on Genos
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 06:15:48 AM »
Hello Kaarlo

You may use the Song Editor in StepEdit mode to modify/delete Markers.

See Reference Manual p85 about Editing Song Position Markers and p77 ff about Step Editing.

In Step Editing you have to set the Target Channel to SysEx. In the Event Filter you may want to set all ticks to off except for Marker. You can then easily delete any marker or modify the song position of any marker to the desired position (measure/beat/tick).

HTH
Michael

Thanks a lot Michael. 
I actually do have the reference manual on my PC, will print out  p 85 and p 77 so I have the pages in front of me when trying to do the marker stuff.  I seems prolonging a song in Midifile Optimizer 8 is easier, but that means you must put the song on a stick and take in to your PC,  and more important using MFO 8  you do not have the options to use the loop or not that Genos gives you which is a very good feature. Hopefully I will be able to use the SysEx . I know it is a Midi command, but my understanding ends there.

Cheers

Kaarlo