Author Topic: Headphones don't mute speakers  (Read 8247 times)

Dermot J

Headphones don't mute speakers
« on: April 12, 2018, 04:02:10 AM »
Hi, I'd like to practice without disturbing the rest of the house but I notice my headphones don't mute the speakers on my PSR 770. Any help would be appreciated?...
Dermot J.

Offline panos

Re: Headphones don't mute speakers
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 04:15:33 AM »
Hi Dermot,
did you use a Headphone Adapter Plug with your headphones like this one?
https://www.amazon.com/RCA-AH216-Stereo-Headphone-Adapter/dp/B00005T3GH

Also connect the headphones to the left side of your keyboard under the pitch bend wheel (where it says phones) and not in front of the keyboard.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 04:28:52 AM by panos »

Dermot J

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 05:30:00 AM »
Hi Panos,
Thank you.
Yes I'm using an adapter like that one?...

Offline panos

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 05:51:26 AM »
That is strange.Seems that your keyboard doesn't connect with the adapter properly to mute the speakers.
And you can hear no sound at all through your headphones right?
And you connected the adapter to your left hand where the "phones" sign is right?

If you just put the adapter there without headphones,the speakers must not make any sound also.

Dermot J

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 06:12:25 AM »

It gets more strange! I CAN hear sound through the headphones. Putting the adapter there without the phones still allows sound through the speakers. I may need to try a different adapter?

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2018, 06:18:51 AM »
Hi Dermot J,

Unlike earlier PSR models, the S970/770 has a function similar to that on Tyros models which controls what happens when you plug headphones into the keyboard.

Press  Function > Utility (in Menu 1) > Config2.

Select Option 1 - Speaker.  This is the setting that controls the behaviour of the on board speakers.

At the bottom of the display you will see a list of possible settings for this.

The options are:

HEADPHONE SW: Speaker sounds normally, but is cut off when headphones are connected to the [PHONES] jack.

ON: Speaker sound is always on, even if headphones are connected.

OFF: Speaker sound is off. You can only hear the instrument sound via the headphones or an external device connected to the AUX OUT jacks.

For auto switching of the speakers when you plug in headphones you need to set this to HEADPHONE SW.

This is a system setting, so once you set it, it should stay as set until you change it, or carry out a system reset after which it will revert to the default setting (I don't know what this is on an S970/770, but I would have thought that it would be SPEAKER SW)!

Regards

Ian

The following users thanked this post: Gemor

Offline panos

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2018, 06:29:29 AM »
Ian found the problem :)
Nice function this one.I wonder what equalizer settings to choose when you use it.
Settings for the player, or settings for the audience  ;D

Dermot J

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2018, 06:37:03 AM »
Thank you Ian. This has indeed solved the issue. Now I can wreck my head instead of everybody else's!!!... ::)

Offline Joe H

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2018, 06:52:27 AM »
Ian found the problem :)
Nice function this one.I wonder what equalizer settings to choose when you use it.
Settings for the player, or settings for the audience  ;D

You can create a one User Master EQ just for your headphones and another for speakers.

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html