Author Topic: Multipad question  (Read 6758 times)

Multipad question
« on: April 11, 2018, 09:12:14 AM »
Hi team,

Has anyone noticed that with some of the Multipad banks, two buttons play something that resembles the Multipad bank name but the last two play something totally unrelated? I can't think of anything specific at this time, and my Genos is packed for a large show tomorrow, but it seems I heard a string Multipad that had the last two buttons assigned as drum sounds. After my show, I'll try to find specific Multipad banks that are like this. Thanks.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline Joe H

Re: Multipad question
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 10:40:51 AM »
Lee,

I believe Yamaha took a new approach to Multi Pads.  Instead of 4 strings or 4 pads or 4 guitars, they made a mix (variety) of Multi Pads to compliment the styles.  This is also the concept with Magic Dance expansion pack from Easy Sounds.  I think they got the idea from right here on this forum.  Some of the styles that were posted last year were setup that way and I think Yamaha like the concept. 

I remember a demo on Youtube explaining that the styles are also different and programmed to use Multi Pads to add 4 more parts that would compliment the styles.

Joe H
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 10:42:43 AM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline markstyles

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 12:18:06 PM »
I noticed it too.. I don't think I'm a fan of it.. I prefer to have 4 variations of one thing to add to the style.. But I'm sure for others, it's more more helpful.  All in all it's really not a big deal..

Offline EileenL

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2018, 08:29:39 PM »
You can still use Pads from an earlier tyros or those you have made yourself on Genos.

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2018, 08:41:25 PM »
It's an interesting approach (I suppose), but when playing live, if you need a String fill from Button 2 and accidentally press Button 3 you're screwed! On Tyros, when you pressed the wrong button, at least you got a fill of the same genre. Somehow, a cymbal crash instead of a string fill is VERY embarrassing. I don't care if it was requested or not, I think it's a totally stupid idea.

My T5 is gone, Eileen. Perhaps I could find one somewhere and retrieve the Multipads from it. Then I'd have to remap them all to the new voices. Perhaps I could take my favorite Multipads and create 3 or 4 banks of my most commonly used ones. I don't tend to use all of them - just a few. I've never modified Multipads. Is it easy to create your own banks? Would it just involve "copying" and "copying here"? (Still can't my head around Yamaha and their quest to be different about "Paste" like the rest of the friggin planet! LOL)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 08:44:28 PM by Lee Batchelor »
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2018, 08:46:27 PM »
Mark, it's a huge deal when you press the wrong button in a major show. I have enough to think about under those circumstances. Yamaha should have considered human factors over the requests of a few players.

Offline voodoo

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2018, 09:15:23 PM »
Mark, it's a huge deal when you press the wrong button in a major show. I have enough to think about under those circumstances. Yamaha should have considered human factors over the requests of a few players.

Hi. This happened to me, too. We were playing a concert in church. I wanted to use a Glockenspiel. But I did not remember the right multi pad button, and I got something like a chinese gong. ;)

But good news is: Everybody can change the multipads, as he wants. ;)

Uli
Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Yamaha P-125 Digital Piano
Nord Electro 5D

Offline pjd

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2018, 10:13:16 PM »
Hi. This happened to me, too. We were playing a concert in church. I wanted to use a Glockenspiel. But I did not remember the right multi pad button, and I got something like a chinese gong. ;)

Probably woke the congregation -- not a bad thing.  :) Church is a less forgiving environment (!) for such foul-ups than a smoky bar.  ::)

Take care -- pj

Offline Joe H

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2018, 10:49:30 PM »
It's an interesting approach (I suppose), but when playing live, if you need a String fill from Button 2 and accidentally press Button 3 you're screwed! On Tyros, when you pressed the wrong button, at least you got a fill of the same genre. Somehow, a cymbal crash instead of a string fill is VERY embarrassing. I don't care if it was requested or not, I think it's a totally stupid idea.

My T5 is gone, Eileen. Perhaps I could find one somewhere and retrieve the Multipads from it. Then I'd have to remap them all to the new voices. Perhaps I could take my favorite Multipads and create 3 or 4 banks of my most commonly used ones. I don't tend to use all of them - just a few. I've never modified Multipads. Is it easy to create your own banks? Would it just involve "copying" and "copying here"? (Still can't my head around Yamaha and their quest to be different about "Paste" like the rest of the friggin planet! LOL)

Lee,

1.  The change in the Multi Pads was NOT requested, I believe Yamaha saw it and liked the idea.

2.  While it may seem like a stupid idea to you, it works very well for others

3. You can find the T5 Multi Pads (and others) on this site.

4. It's very easy to copy a pad from one Multi Pad to  another... try it, you might like it.

5. Read my article on Multi Pads, it will tell how you how to do it on your keyboard or on the computer.

Joe H
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 03:45:42 AM by Joe H »

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline panos

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2018, 01:42:08 AM »
For non pressing the wrong button as long as I find it quite unusual to use 4 similar pads in one song,sometimes I just keep a multipad with only 1 or 2 pads for remembering what they sound like.
When there are all 4 pads involved,I agree that have to be different to make the song more interesting so you can use both arpeggiated patterns and audio sounds.
It is easy to create a multipad as long as you have nice pads that fit to the song.

Modified Style+ modified OTS+modified multipad=save a new style with song's name and I don't have to worry about registrations.
10 style parts+4 fill ins+brake are enough for a song to me,as long as I don't use microphone and  a foot pedal.

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2018, 09:00:05 PM »
Read my article on Multi Pads, it will tell how you how to do it on your keyboard or on the computer.

Where is this article, Joe? Thanks :)!

Offline Joe H

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2018, 01:49:43 PM »
Lee,

It is in my Signature.

My Article: Using Multi Pads for EDM. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

While I focus on Dance music, the principle is the same and the tools used and process are the same for all genre of music

Joe H
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 01:51:20 PM by Joe H »

The following users thanked this post: Lee Batchelor

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2018, 08:01:03 PM »
Of course, thanks Joe! Most helpful...Does Michael's PadMaker software work with the Genos too?

- Lee
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 08:09:50 PM by Lee Batchelor »

Offline MBedesem

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2018, 08:56:07 PM »
Lee:

The latest versions available on the web site, PadMaker Version 3.0.6 and PadMaker-Midi Version 1.8.7, do support Genos.

Regards,

Michael
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 08:57:08 PM by MBedesem »
Michael P. Bedesem
mpb@vermontel.net
http://psrtutorial.com/MB/bedesem.html
Tyros 5

The following users thanked this post: Lee Batchelor

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2018, 09:07:40 PM »
Thanks, Michael!