Author Topic: Suggestions for trading up to T5, from T4.  (Read 6377 times)

Offline sugarplumsss

Suggestions for trading up to T5, from T4.
« on: December 11, 2017, 08:03:18 AM »
I finally played a T5, for second time. After the first time, a few years back, I had a sneaking suspicion that the T5 was a bit better for me than T4. Other than the volume sliders, I cannot quite put my finger on what makes me think the T5 is better for me.

Guitar Center has a used T5 selling at approx $3200+. I forgot that precise amount, but mid 3200.
I am thinking that price is, what, maybe $500 more than I could find one used. But $500 is not too bad, IF I can trade in a number of keyboards.
I own a number of boards including the T4..
Your thoughts on trading up to the T5?
I use T4 as a drum machine. Playing my own acmp and bass. MIDI songs are my latest interest. If anyone wishes to share knowledge on MIDI songs let me know.

Offline Denn

Re: Suggestions for trading up to T5, from T4.
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 07:33:05 PM »
DON'T
The Organ console would be the only attraction for me. My opinion? Tyros4 is better, especially if you want to load UVN voices.
Regards, Den.
Love knitting dolls

Offline sugarplumsss

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 05:43:21 AM »
I would like to ask for a little more detail on "if you want to load UVN voices"- I am not clear what UVN is or how it would be useful to my T4.

Also, any other reasons the T4 has advantages over the T5?

Sonically, is the T5 ever so slightly an improvement?

But sonics aside, I am wondering about (half understood by me!)  features that are often either given up, or exchanged, whenever companies make an upgrade. There is usually a tradeoff involved in order to keep the price competitive.
So, anything that comes to mind, for reasons to keep the T4.. please mention them; including perhaps an exchange of features, that are a matter of opinion- where neither feature exchange is clearly better, but just different.
Thank you
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 05:46:52 AM by sugarplumsss »
I use T4 as a drum machine. Playing my own acmp and bass. MIDI songs are my latest interest. If anyone wishes to share knowledge on MIDI songs let me know.

Offline Kytrinh

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 12:25:57 PM »
Hi
I just bought a used T5  few weeks ago at a bairgain price. Prior that im also using the T4.. without going much into detail.. if i can go back i would not of bought the T5, apart from the "restricted" Audio styles, organ world and string ensemble, all of which to me are fun to play and you can appreciate the technology, but it is not gonna be a show stealer more than what my T4 is already capable of doing.
Sound wise, there is very little difference if any to tell you the truth non of which you can not match through the EQ section if you so desire. Im glad i held my nerve back when the T5 was release and not trade in my T4 and pay almost the same amount on top of the price i paid for a brand new T4 back in 2012.

Right now i still have my T4sitting above the T5, both going into the same mixer and out to my yamaha dsr112s, i have my wife coming in to sing and regular friends over, they did not mention one word regarding the difference in sound.. or notice anything different to the style of play. The T4 is still just that good. I will keep both as itll be good for back up.

If you have money to spend.. invest in a set of high end quality speakers, sub and amp.. that will take your T4 to the next level more than a T5 would..
Cheers

Genos, Tyros4/5, Pa4X, Audya5, KetronSD40, RolandXP30

Offline sugarplumsss

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2018, 03:55:53 AM »
Nicely said... thank you, you have helped clarify my decision to stay with T4.

A bit of a stretch, but.. what have you gleaned of the Genos attributes? :)

Offline Kytrinh

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2018, 05:10:47 AM »
Nicely said... thank you, you have helped clarify my decision to stay with T4.

A bit of a stretch, but.. what have you gleaned of the Genos attributes? :)

Ive actually never intended to upgrade to the T5, was more aiming for the Genos. Stock is scarce here in Australia as most dealers are waiting on back orders..and not long ago i spot an excellent condition T5 15minutes drive from me so i had to grab it, thinking it would be a good back up to my T4 also, because ive invested alot in customising styles which is vital to my shows.

To me The Genos is really beautiful.. the new look is just wow. The sound im sure will be better than all yamaha arranger predecessors. As much as i would love one at this stage, and given its price point, now with the T5 i will have to hold off on it for a while and see..

Its a stretch like you said, but hey we couldve of been into cars instead as i have friends that for a price of a Genos will only serve them a small upgrade in the engine -:)
Keep well
Ky

Genos, Tyros4/5, Pa4X, Audya5, KetronSD40, RolandXP30

The following users thanked this post: sugarplumsss

johnl

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2018, 05:17:55 PM »
I would stick to my T4, I use it to arrange, orchestrate and record backing tracks through a computer music recording system.  the overall effect is very professional and a far superior quality than the standard backing tracks. I would love to have a strat. guitar for fills and I'm sure in time Yamaha will supply one as an add-on for the T4.

Offline Denn

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2018, 10:42:26 AM »
Hello, As you have been advised, stick to your T4. Sound, like taste and smell, are personal preferences. IF you buy a new Tryos4 and then buy the B&O speaker system ($2600 aprox) you will have the best sound system in the world and still have change from what a Genos would cost. Regards, Den.
ps. Add to that, buy the TTT Theater Organ Voices and you could still have change!

Some you could try: https://app.box.com/s/oqen9dvluwr9w2auk4tpfmmte6aofrfc
https://app.box.com/s/gfsuhz4sop413u5pawja3asyk8tf0huj
https://app.box.com/s/abukun17m64d8azd0h9z52raxws7sdvs
Love knitting dolls

musicalmemoriesuk

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2018, 06:07:40 PM »
The T4 is a great keyboard which I use together with a new Korg Pa700 , both make a great combination.