Author Topic: No Sound Output  (Read 9523 times)

tramano

No Sound Output
« on: April 04, 2018, 10:15:39 PM »
Hello
Just experienced a total system failure (v1.20). After switching on this morning I had no sound output, neither out of the headphone nor the line out jackets  >:( , everything else (display, blinking buttons, etc.) worked fine.
Tried to shut down and power on several times, even pulled the main plug - w/o success.
Turned out - the only way to get it running again, was to reset the system via the corresponding menu item.
Anybody else who encountered this problem?

Lesson learned so far: Make backups regularly!!!

Offline EileenL

Re: No Sound Output
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 10:46:36 PM »
Never had a problem with any updates I have done. Just unzipped the file and copied to root of good USB and inserted into keyboard and followed instructions.

tramano

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2018, 11:03:16 PM »
Kind of a misunderstanding, Eileen.
It did not happen after I have updated to 1.20, I just wanted to add the information that I am running on V1.20 (for some time now).
You know, first recommendtion always is: Perform an update...
Thanx for your reply.

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2018, 09:27:32 AM »
The way your post reads, it seems the failure occurred after you had installed the 1.2 update. If so, that's not good. Are you saying it happened prior to the 1.2 update? I sure hope so! Thanks...I do perform frequent backups :).
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline Kokoriz

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2018, 09:49:40 AM »
I think he meant the problem occurs on version 1.20 after it has been updated and used for a while. But I could be wrong.

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2018, 11:38:28 AM »
This sounds like a loose connection from the sound board, or possibly a cold solder joint. If a master system restoration didn't fix the problem, it may require the assistance of a factory service center.

Good luck,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

tramano

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2018, 04:12:09 PM »
Sorry for the confusion.
It happened 2 weeks after the 1.20 update with a lot of playing since then, so it definitely has no direct relationship to the update process. I just wanted to point out that I am running 1.20.

keynote

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2018, 06:22:50 PM »
There may be a simple solution to this problem. The below instructions are taken from the Genos Owner's Manual under Troubleshooting.

The master volume may be set too low. Set it to an appropriate level with the [MASTER
VOLUME] dial.
All keyboard parts are set to off. Use the PART ON/OFF [RIGHT 1]/[RIGHT 2]/[RIGHT 3]/
button to turn it on (page 48).
The volume of individual parts may be set too low. Raise the volume in the Mixer display
(page 86).
Make sure the desired channel is set to on in the Mixer display (page 88).
Headphones are connected, disabling the speaker output. Unplug the headphones.
Connect the footswitch to the appropriate jack.
Check whether the external speaker is connected and the volume control is adjusted
properly (pages 108, 116).

Hope this helps.

Mike

Offline ckobu

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2018, 07:05:44 PM »
Such symptoms may occur if the midi settings are incorrect.
This always happens after I use Sonar.
Just call the All Parts setting. Local control will be marked.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Watch my video channel

tramano

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2018, 11:13:04 PM »
Thanx, keynote for the troubleshooting checklist, I am pretty sure I checked all of these points.

The hint from ckobu sounds very interesting to me: It might be that the day before, I switched the Genos OFF after having used it as a midi keybord with either Cubase or Analog Lab - can't remember ... So, with switching on the next day the problem showed up.
Maybe there is no indication that the instrument acts as a midi controller ? I have to check that tonight.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 11:16:20 PM by tramano »

tramano

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2018, 04:14:58 PM »
Checked it out last night.
Cause of problem is now apparent: If you use the Genos in midi mode, switch it off and then on again you will not have any sound output, beacause it is still in midi mode. Well, not very surprising...
But there should be at least a small indication on the display if we are running it in midi mode with all local controls off! - Maybe in V1.30 ?
Thanks everybody for their contributions here.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 04:49:21 PM by tramano »

Offline ckobu

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2018, 07:07:27 PM »
Great, it is important that the problem is solved.
I'm the same problem with Sonar still on my Tyros4.
Yes, it would be good to have the notification and status on the keyboards screen.
Watch my video channel

keynote

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2018, 09:40:34 PM »
I use Sonar Platinum with my Genos. Before firmware version 1.20 for the Genos when I opened Sonar I had to go into the Midi control menu and re-enable ALL PARTS or there would be no sound output. But since the 1.20 update that no longer occurs and so I don't have to do anything after I open Sonar. Thank you Yamaha!

PS: I'm glad it wasn't anything serious tramano.

Mike

Offline markstyles

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2018, 12:41:47 PM »
Hasn't happened for me with Genos.. But it did happen with Tyros 5 once in a while.. I used Tyros with mac computer and Logic Pro.. Every few months, (out of hundreds and hundred of hours of use).. a song channel on Tyros would go silent..  powering off/on fixed it.  Not a big deal.

It might have had something to do with my DAW and Tyros.. although I could assign the same Logic track to another song track on Tyros and it would work.. 

Sometimes there are situations (which might be called a bug).  Obviously Yamaha or any company can't fix a bug, if they can 't replicate the problem.. It was so rare, I could never replicate it on demand.

Offline voodoo

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2018, 08:26:13 PM »
What do you mean with "Genos in Midi mode"?
Do you mean, local control was switched off? (in the setting screen shown above)

Uli
Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Yamaha P-125 Digital Piano
Nord Electro 5D

tramano

« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2018, 08:47:15 PM »
Hi voodoo, thanks for your care, but I think everything has been said so far and the problem ist solved.

Offline valimaties

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2018, 09:26:53 PM »
Hi voodoo, thanks for your care, but I think everything has been said so far and the problem ist solved.

Even so, you can answer to his question! Neither I don't understand clearly from the posts above...  It's hard to wrote a decent and clear answer to a question?  ???

It has to sound like "I had the above settings: ... , and to solve you have to put like ....  " ... Simple, no?!

Regards,
Vali
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 09:28:28 PM by valimaties »

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline ckobu

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2018, 10:06:35 PM »
Always when I start SONAR, Local Control settings are turned off. I do not know why that is so.
And at Tyros4 I had the same case. I did not find the setting in Sonar to change this. When Local Control is off, Genos has no sound.

https://youtu.be/G8r6zaTuB4w
Watch my video channel