Author Topic: Genos output to Smart TV  (Read 7974 times)

Offline Fred Smith

Genos output to Smart TV
« on: April 04, 2018, 02:08:23 AM »
I spent a fair amount of time getting my Genos to display lyrics on a Smart TV.

Outputting to a dumb display is easy: Connect the USB to device port to a converter (I use a Diamond Display Adaptor), then connect to one of the ports on the display (DVI, VGA or HDMI). This has worked every time.

However, a Smart TV is too "smart" for this connection. In order for the Genos to output lyrics through the USB port, it has to believe there's a display at the end of the cable. A dumb display works fine. But a Smart TV checks for input, and if it doesn't find any, displays the "no input" message, check the cable, power, blah, blah blah.

So the keyboard won't output unless it believes something is listening, and the TV won't listen unless it believes there's something to be received.

The solution? Connect the Genos to a dumb display. Turn the power on. Now it will output the lyrics. Now switch cables to your Smart TV. As there's something being outputted, it will receive it.

Annoying, but it works.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Re: Genos output to Smart TV
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 02:18:44 AM »
I believe what you just typed is exactly what you find in the dictionary under, "workaround". :)
Check Out My YouTube Channel! https://goo.gl/edbXFS

Offline zionip

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2018, 02:37:28 AM »
Hi Fred,

I permanently connect the USB2.0 to VGA/DVI/HDMI display adapter to the back USB port of Genos, then connect the HDMI output of the USB2.0 display adapter to a 4x2 HDMI Matrix Switch (4 HDMI inputs, 2 HDMI outputs), HDMI output A goes to a 1080P monitor on the music stand of the Genos, and HDMI output B to another monitor or smart TV.

The use of the 4x2 HDMI matrix switch keeps the Genos external video output constantly available, and so there is no need to swap HDMI cables between a monitor and a smart TV.

The 4x2 HDMI matrix switch (supports 4K) that I use:
https://www.amazon.com/HDMI-FiveHome-Switcher-Splitter-Extractor/dp/B077TJG5Q2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1522776219&sr=8-1&keywords=hdmi+true+matrix+switch+4x2+supports+4K

Thanks,
Paul

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2018, 02:55:20 AM »
Thanks for the info, Paul.

My requirement to use a Smart TV is for only one gig so I'll stick with my workaround for now. But if it happens more often, I like your setup as a permanent solution.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons