Author Topic: Sooner than later - Genos 61-  (Read 48510 times)

Re: Sooner than later - Genos 61-
« Reply #100 on: April 13, 2018, 08:44:21 AM »
Hello Pino, congratulations excellent audio. Now my question is: how do you work together with your S970 with the Ketron Module ?. and I would also like to know how much this module costs. greetings Hans

Between $1800 and $2000 from what I see online.
Check Out My YouTube Channel! https://goo.gl/edbXFS

The following users thanked this post: hans1966

Offline hans1966

« Reply #101 on: April 13, 2018, 11:51:29 AM »
Hi KeyboardByBiggs, thanks for your answer. greetings Hans
"Enjoying my SX600, and moving step by step through the journey of life"

The following users thanked this post: KeyboardByBiggs

Kaarlo von Freymann

« Reply #102 on: April 14, 2018, 03:03:43 AM »
Hello Pino, congratulations excellent audio. Now my question is: how do you work together with your S970 with the Ketron Module ?. and I would also like to know how much this module costs. greetings Hans

https://app.box.com/s/npuempch5y14ineqz5ijdv7ytrpn4say

WOW ! I am not sure I understood which instrument generated that fantastic sounding short audio. Was it the 970 or the Ketron ? Please specify.

Cheers

Kaarlo

Offline hans1966

« Reply #103 on: April 14, 2018, 07:58:23 AM »
Hello Karlo, I think Pino refers to the Ketron / S970 combination, since he says he uses the Ketron Module to reinforce the voices of the S970. greetings Hans
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 07:59:56 AM by hans1966 »

Pino

« Reply #104 on: April 14, 2018, 12:14:21 PM »
That was the Ketron SD40 demo
It’s a full rich sound and the styles have a very ‘live sound’

Similar to the Technics sound of many years ago,

I love the Yamaha styles but some of the lead voices are on the thin side.
That’s the reason I bought the SD40 for the right hand voices

I’ve had so much fun with it as an arranger, easy to connet any controller from 49 to 88 piano. the touch screen works flawlessly and it’s only 2kilos.

I haven’t used it with my S970 yet
That’s my next project starting next week ‘ midi to S970’ time permitting.
I will report back on how it hooks up,

Pino

The following users thanked this post: hans1966

Offline hans1966

« Reply #105 on: April 14, 2018, 02:25:56 PM »
Thank you very much Pino, for clarifying that it was what we were listening to in your Demo. greetings Hans

Kaarlo von Freymann

« Reply #106 on: April 14, 2018, 07:09:26 PM »
That was the Ketron SD40 demo
It’s a full rich sound and the styles have a very ‘live sound’

Similar to the Technics sound of many years ago .......

I’ve had so much fun with it as an arranger, easy to connet any controller from 49 to 88 piano. the touch screen works flawlessly and it’s only 2kilos.....

I will report back on how it hooks up,

Pino

Hi Pino,
thanks for the "update" on the  Ketron SD40 demo    The  the sax was  so realistic  it made me feel it was not done just by playing  keyboard keys.  Having been a sax player for 20 years long ago I do appreciate the after-touch, the new possibilities with the Genos pitch bender and the 3 buttons. They do make saxes more realistic,  but what I heard on your SD40 demo ( 4 times !)  :) could only be a real sax or an expert manipulation on a PC by the creator just as on the Yamaha intros and endings.

I also loved the base. These are the moments you realize that in spite of all the great improvement in keyboards over the years  it is still easy to realize, what you are hearing is just a keyboard being played,  not the real thing.
Like you I feel there were things on the Technics 6000 that would have been worth copying like the "call up function" you could buy from a Swiss creator. You only had to write "In the.." and the midi file "In the mood"  was there. I also loved  the easy midi file tweaking and style creation. Genos has this nice  loop function, but now that the delete function in case you made a mistake has been removed (was there in 1.10)  I have had difficulties.  I do the prolonging on Midifile Optimizer, but that does not give you the option of using the loop or not which Genos gives you. But maybe there is a way to get the points correctly easily ans I just have not understood that.
On Yamaha models  the Intros and Endings have become so well done that you may for a moment be fooled. But then when you hear a style that is only 2 bars long you know what you are hearing.  :)  As I know absolutely nothing about to-day's  hip hop and heavy metal it might be that in that department it makes no difference, but in Jazz, be it combo or big band 2 bars are an insult to my old ears. Fortunately there are quite a few 4 bar long styles but already on the 5700 I still have there were 8 bar long styles. I believe there is a way to create such styles on the Genos from existing styles but so far I have not been able to do it. Am waiting for a thread in that direction. Or maybe better make a thread.

Cheers

Kaarlo

arvacon

« Reply #107 on: April 17, 2018, 10:32:43 PM »
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 10:35:47 PM by arvacon »

Pino

« Reply #108 on: April 17, 2018, 10:48:46 PM »
If it’s a fake then it’s a well put together fake,

That would be perfect for my needs,

Anyone else in for a 61? 🤔
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 10:52:21 PM by Pino »

The following users thanked this post: sunny

arvacon

« Reply #109 on: April 17, 2018, 11:01:57 PM »
If this is not fake, then Yamaha has to consider about firing the designer..
The left side looks like a mess!

Pino

« Reply #110 on: April 17, 2018, 11:19:19 PM »
It does look a little tight up to the left side   :o
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 11:20:38 PM by Pino »

Offline pjd

« Reply #111 on: April 18, 2018, 02:31:23 AM »
It does look a little tight up to the left side   :o

And it has a two-tone color mismatch running down the left hand side. Genos-76 is seamless. Clearly, 'shopped.

-- pj
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 02:34:06 AM by pjd »

arvacon

« Reply #112 on: April 18, 2018, 03:17:56 AM »
And it has a two-tone color mismatch running down the left hand side. Genos-76 is seamless. Clearly, 'shopped.

-- pj

That two tone color mismatch was my fault, as I took the screenshot during the next image transition at the YouTube video. Here it is a better one.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Bernie9

« Reply #113 on: April 19, 2018, 06:47:52 PM »
Just to add one more vote for the 76 keys.  I have been a gigging musician for fifty years, and up until a few years ago always used a 61.  I am not a piano player, so don't have to have a larger keybed, but the extra room is so beneficial to my playing, I would never go back.  I am 77 and set in my ways, but this was a very easy change.  For what it's worth.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #114 on: April 19, 2018, 07:01:29 PM »
Hi Bernie,
  Like you I am set in my ways but at 82 next week I am loving having those extra notes and I am not a pianist but like using three way split at times and now have more notes to do it with. weight is also not a problem as the keyboard is not as heavy as Tyros range.

Offline terryB

« Reply #115 on: April 19, 2018, 07:59:24 PM »
Hi Eileen, what is your split points for a 3 way keyboard split ?

Cheers
Terry

Offline EileenL

« Reply #116 on: April 19, 2018, 08:30:55 PM »
I use mine F#2 F#2 F5. I have the voice I want to solo set to right three and adjust the octave.

Offline sunny

« Reply #117 on: April 20, 2018, 02:22:34 AM »
Hi friends,
            Is this video real about Genos 61 ? If yes,i am ready to buy one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I06R6am4g0Q

Sunny
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 02:24:37 AM by sunny »

Kaarlo von Freymann

« Reply #118 on: April 20, 2018, 02:29:07 AM »
Just to add one more vote for the 76 keys.  I have been a gigging musician for fifty years, and up until a few years ago always used a 61.  I am not a piano player, so don't have to have a larger keybed, but the extra room is so beneficial to my playing, I would never go back.  I am 77 and set in my ways, but this was a very easy change.  For what it's worth.

How right you are.  I realize there seem to be a lot of   senior  players  on this site.  I switched to T5/6 I believe at 77 and felt just like you. "The extra room is so beneficial to my playing, I would never go back." And being able to split, being able to have piano with harmony on the lower end and sax without it on the upper end reminds me of the time when we used electronic organs with 2 keyboards.  (some even preferred to play the base themselves instead of the automatic base)  I will never forget the moment I unpacked the Lowrey MX1 in the eighties. But you needed  4 people and a lift to get into a van.  And more gigs than I got to recoup the hefty price. In to-days money over 60.000 $.  Genos of course does not have 12 speakers and the cabinet, but still at less than 1/10 of the price it is a bargain. And as a fact the material for example of the keys i excellent. I know because whenever I bought the next Tyros  I removed the keys from the previous model and inserted them into the new one because I weighted them due to arthritis in my hands.  Fortunately YAMAHA has not changed the keys, they are now on the Genos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWCDk2ZygQc    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeuLD-yHjJ4

Cheers

Kaarlo

Offline Gunnar Jonny

« Reply #119 on: April 20, 2018, 02:37:46 AM »
Hi friends,
            Is this video real about Genos 61 ? If yes,i am ready to buy one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I06R6am4g0Q

Sunny

Fake news if anybody ask me, but it collect cliks to the posted video.  ???
Cheers 🥂
GJ

tyrosman

« Reply #120 on: April 20, 2018, 03:22:47 AM »
very Fake news it will Never Happen >:(

Offline panos

« Reply #121 on: April 20, 2018, 05:03:02 AM »
I would add some graphics to the beginning of that video the way Genos is moving around.
Maybe a sea,some waves,followed by smaller pictures of s775/975 and EW410...
The new flagship of Yamaha keyboards is coming! ;D

Online Toril S

« Reply #122 on: April 20, 2018, 06:19:21 AM »
Why not? They made a Tyros 61, so why not a Genos 61 as well? Time will tell :)
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Pino

« Reply #123 on: April 20, 2018, 11:12:46 AM »
Eventhough I prefere the buttons on the PSR’s
I probably would buy one for the improvement in the sound department.

To me, an arranger keyboard is about styles, period.
If I was into playing/editing midi files then I would choose totally different equipment.

Most of the style editing stuff on the Genos is the same as all the other Yamaha keyboards from the past 20 years, I wouldn’t be buying for that reason, we still cannot easily import a ‘song intro’,  style editing on board is clumbersome, connecting to a DAW is not easy and even though it’s an ‘arranger keyboard’ Yamaha does not want to give us the tools to edit our styles, Yamaha Musicsoft has put a stop to that cos they want to make money from us also, but it’s a fresh new keyboard.

Yamaha could have done a much better job in the editing department for this new range of keyboards that will probably be around for the next 15 years, but it is what it is.

If Yamaha would make a 61 then I probably would go for it.  :)

Pino
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 11:15:29 AM by Pino »

Pino

« Reply #124 on: April 21, 2018, 12:13:46 AM »
Ok Guys
Just to show you that it’s not just
"talk the talk" sometimes we have to "walk the walk"

I’ve picked the hardest style that you would ever play on the keyboard
No timing, no chord track, no sheets, no edits, just sit down and play.
It’s a one shot take so the balance is way out.
an a 10 year old PSR.
How much better would the Drums be on Genos?

Pino

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Aukmf6F7rNaZmGh2hIBoNBO9ZBkL

Offline sunny

« Reply #125 on: April 21, 2018, 01:13:19 AM »
Hi Friends,
           Whether this picture real or fake, but wan't to buy Genos 61-note keyboard.

Sunny

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 02:24:26 AM by sunny »

« Reply #126 on: April 21, 2018, 01:35:40 AM »
Very nicely played, Pino! To answer your question, sit down and play the exact same tune on a Genos. You'll be blown away - especially when you play that well :)! The older PSRs sound great until you hear the Genos.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline Joe H

« Reply #127 on: April 21, 2018, 01:38:08 AM »
It's fake for sure.  That guy does this all the time.  He is very good at graphics manipulation.  He had created a Tyros 6 a couple of years ago with some of his own add-ons...  He's just trying to get some attention and maybe make a few dollars at the same time.

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline Joe H

« Reply #128 on: April 21, 2018, 01:42:50 AM »
Pino.

You demonstrate..."It's not what you got, but how you use it"

Very nice playing.  A good musician can make even an el cheapo keyboard sound good.  You get five smiles from me!

:)    :)    :)    :)    :)

Cheers,
Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline Linson

« Reply #129 on: April 22, 2018, 02:15:56 AM »
Hi Pino.. Fanstastic Play and sound.. Curious  which is that 10 year old PSR that makes such a nice sound? Please share more.

Pino

« Reply #130 on: April 22, 2018, 12:29:39 PM »
Hi Linson

It was the S910, could be played on the 910, 950, or 970, you wouldn’t notice much of a difference, styles are just a group of small midi files put in order so that the keyboard understands when to play them, in this case the midi part would be called a style part or a style variation,
 I have some  Genos styles playing on my S910 without any problems, you just have to tune the style, eg, save new ‘on board’ instruments to the rhy1-rhy2-bass-chord-pad-ph1-ph2.   
Takes a little time till you get used to the work flow.

Sometimes people will buy a new keyboard without understanding the one they already got.

The S970 is better with guitars and modern music and the S910 is better with Big Band, orchestra and ballads, has a sweeter sound, IMHO

Here is a Big Band medley, nothing special, just a ‘one take’ using OTS as I would play on a gig, not that I play much Big Band.

https://app.box.com/s/fxftc5xfx5srhmt7m6v38ndk6ar53weg

Pino

« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 12:34:35 PM by Pino »

The following users thanked this post: Linson

Pino

« Reply #131 on: April 22, 2018, 12:41:52 PM »
Thank you Joe for your king words

I promise not to mention a 6 and 1 in any posts on this forum for evermore.

Best wishes

Pino

Offline Pianoman

« Reply #132 on: April 22, 2018, 08:06:04 PM »
Pino.

You demonstrate..."It's not what you got, but how you use it"

Very nice playing.  A good musician can make even an el cheapo keyboard sound good.  You get five smiles from me!

:)    :)    :)    :)    :)

Cheers,
Joe H

Hello Pino.

I will echo what Joe H has said here.

Very nice playing on both songs.

Best Regards.
Abby.

Bachus

« Reply #133 on: April 22, 2018, 09:08:02 PM »
The 61 key rumor comes from an April fools joke from a German dealer...

Misleading and not even funny, i must say, it also cought me on the wrong leg...

Makes me wonder how many people never bought the Genos because there is no 61 key version? Indon’t think anyone that really wants/needs a Genos was kept away from it by the extra 15 keys...

Kaarlo von Freymann

« Reply #134 on: April 23, 2018, 07:33:08 PM »
Hi Linson

..... I have some  Genos styles playing on my S910 without any problems, you just have to tune the style, eg, save new ‘on board’ instruments to the rhy1-rhy2-bass-chord-pad-ph1-ph2.   
Takes a little time till you get used to the work flow........

Here is a Big Band medley, nothing special, just a ‘one take’ using OTS as I would play on a gig, not that I play much Big Band.

https://app.box.com/s/fxftc5xfx5srhmt7m6v38ndk6ar53weg

Pino

Thanks Pino, I enjoyed your BB medley, nothing special was an understatement. What one likes and what not is of course very dependent on what was played when you were under 30. So no heavy metal for me :)  Bu I believe what separates good from less good  is timing and phrasing.   The idea of using a program to put the timing 100 %  on spot is what destroys most any genre and some  people do that on their midi files whereas the real professionals that work for YAMAHA Soft do not commit that error. Some arrangers and some performers  were masters in this respect, Nat King Cole and Nelson Riddle immediately come to mind.

Cheers

Kaarlo

Pino

« Reply #135 on: April 23, 2018, 07:54:51 PM »
Thank you kaarlo and Abby

I haven’t played any midi files for many years

I call playing an arranger keyboard in public ‘stand up and fight’
Yes, fighting with the keyboard, styles, timing, chords notes,
In a 3 hour gig I will probably do about 10 minor mistakes

Now I have come to accept his,
it’s not the mistakes that count but how quickly you can recover from a mistake.
Practice makes masters

Regards

Pino

Offline Linson

« Reply #136 on: April 24, 2018, 12:30:07 AM »

it’s not the mistakes that count but how quickly you can recover from a mistake.
Practice makes masters
--------------------------------------------
Well said, Pino

What is your thoughts on new PSR s975? Any chance to look into it more? Do you think it's worth waiting for Genos 61 key version or Go with s975? I have a 950 now

Offline EileenL

« Reply #137 on: April 24, 2018, 12:42:13 AM »
There won't be a 61 note Genos but probably an S Series will come along in about a year or so.

arvacon

« Reply #138 on: April 24, 2018, 01:06:33 AM »
The wiser choice for now it would be to go for the s970, as its price has drop alot right now and also there are tiny differences with the s975. In case you don't care about the prices, then go for the genos.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 01:08:29 AM by arvacon »

Offline Pianoman

« Reply #139 on: April 24, 2018, 05:46:43 AM »
Thank you kaarlo and Abby

I call playing an arranger keyboard in public ‘stand up and fight’
Yes, fighting with the keyboard, styles, timing, chords notes,
In a 3 hour gig I will probably do about 10 minor mistakes

Now I have come to accept his,
Practice makes masters

Regards

Pino

Well said. I know how it feels.

Best Regards.
Abby.

DonM

« Reply #140 on: April 24, 2018, 09:34:41 AM »
What Yamaha ought to do is ADD one more button and put over by my LEFT hand.

That button would flip you over to the RIGHT 2 (only when selected) and silence RIGHT 1. Then if you taped it again it should go back to RIGHT 1, that would be slick. ;)

There are a lot of times I would like to switch off while playing my lead as a guitar and flip it over to the Pedal Steel Guitar. I do it sometime by having the OTS set up but it is to tricky to get it right some times. Heck, I can't remember which OTS is the Pedal Steel  with all that is going on when performing.  ;D

Regards
Drake
Drake, Ketron has had that function a long time.  On Roland you can do it with the Volume pedal.  For example all the way down is one sound, all the way up is the second sound, in the middle they are mixed.  I had a G800 YEARS ago that did that.
I think Ketron even has the ability to bring in the second sound by touch sensitivity, but I don't remember for sure.
Korg has programmable buttons that will do it.
Yamaha could easily do this!

« Reply #141 on: April 24, 2018, 11:03:56 AM »
Is it my imagination, or has this discussion gone way off topic :)?
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

DonM

« Reply #142 on: April 24, 2018, 12:46:41 PM »
Pretty much ot for the last couple of pages!  :)

Offline sunny

« Reply #143 on: April 24, 2018, 12:58:09 PM »
There won't be a 61 note Genos but probably an S Series will come along in about a year or so.

Hi Eileen,
 Yamaha made a Tyros 61, so why not a Genos 61 as well?

Sunny

Offline EileenL

« Reply #144 on: April 24, 2018, 08:29:17 PM »
The Genos has been a great success as a 76 note keyboard and still lighter in weight than Tyros 5 and not much bigger than Tyros 5. I think they will concentrate on producing 61 note S Series. 

Kaarlo von Freymann

« Reply #145 on: April 25, 2018, 06:37:51 AM »
Well said. I know how it feels.

Best Regards.
Abby.

Definitely off topic, but let me just say how i envy anyone who makes so few mistakes.

BTW Oscar Peterson visited my university in the 1950ies  and we bloody amateurs had a chance to talk to our idol after his concert. He said: "Whenever you make a mistake, repeat it several times and people will think it was an intentional improvisation." I said, "Sir, I have a lot of your records, have not noticed one mistake."  The great master smiled, "Which proves my advice was correct".

Cheers

Kaarlo

The following users thanked this post: Lee Batchelor, KeyboardByBiggs

Pino

« Reply #146 on: April 25, 2018, 01:41:20 PM »
Mistakes are distractions

Sometimes when I’m playing in the restaurant in the evening, when a beautiful blonde walks across the dance floor carrying them big jugs of drinks in front of her,
That’s one real distraction  :)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 05:04:08 PM by Pino »

Offline sunny

« Reply #147 on: April 26, 2018, 08:02:09 PM »
The Genos has been a great success as a 76 note keyboard and still lighter in weight than Tyros 5 and not much bigger than Tyros 5. I think they will concentrate on producing 61 note S Series.

If Genos 61 is produced, it will be still lighter than Genos 76 and same size of Tyros61.

Offline Gunnar Jonny

« Reply #148 on: April 26, 2018, 08:21:47 PM »
Most likely the Genos II - 76 is allready under work at the drawing and developement board, and new features and possabilities will be added.  8)
Those who want a 61 key arranger will probably have to look at the new PSR series that will be some sort of Genos little brothers.......   ;)
Cheers 🥂
GJ

Kaarlo von Freymann

« Reply #149 on: April 26, 2018, 09:08:29 PM »
Mistakes are distractions. Sometimes when I’m playing in the restaurant in the evening, when a beautiful blonde walks across the dance floor carrying them big jugs of drinks in front of her,
That’s one real distraction  :)

Agreed Pino and she need not even be blond, and even jug size is not important  ;D Beauty like keyboards comes in many sizes.

Cheers

Kaarlo  (I believe I am not off topic as this thread is about SIZE)