Author Topic: Sooner than later - Genos 61-  (Read 48506 times)

Pino

Sooner than later - Genos 61-
« on: March 30, 2018, 12:27:41 AM »
Quote from Synthzone
In a few weeks at musikmesse we will see a 61 version of the Genos..
Thats a rumour coming from Germany..

My dealer has said this all along

And why shouldn’t there be a 61

When Ford make a car they make a salon, a coupe, a hatchback
There have to modify some part but if there is a market then they
go for it. It’s about making money.

Pino
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 12:29:19 AM by Pino »

tyrosman

Re: Sooner than later - Genos 61-
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 12:49:41 AM »
I Doubt this and this is never going to Happen

Pino

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2018, 12:53:31 AM »
WHY?

Offline Gunnar Jonny

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2018, 01:40:02 AM »
If there is a G 61 on the way, there most be a reason, maybe lot lower sales than Yamaha expected?
I think if a 61 was planned, it would be released at the same time as 76, maybe even before, and I don't see any reason Yamaha should keep quiet about it.
Doubt the rumours is true, but if they are, there are some people getting the dreams come true.
Only time will tell, Musikmesse 2018 is 'just around the corner'.  :)
Cheers 🥂
GJ

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2018, 01:45:00 AM »
I suppose anything's possible, Pino. Logically, for Yamaha to produce a 61 key version, they would need to shorten the entire keyboard by about 9 inches or 23 centimeters. The button row occupies about 90 percent of the space over the keys. They would have to move several of those buttons. The Genos has very little wasted space - one of the delights over the T5, not to mention a drastic weight reduction. In short, they would need to do a complete body re-design.

Of course, they did build 88, 76, and 61 key versions of the Motif series, so like I said, anything's possible. My instincts tell me they will release a stripped down, 61 key version called the PSR Genos or some such name.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Pino

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2018, 02:11:34 AM »
Look at my other set-up, only 2.2 kilos
Touch screen, Sounds terrific
Why does the Genos need to be so big?
My iPhone and iPad does amazing things and yet so small

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 02:14:11 AM by Pino »

The following users thanked this post: Linson

tyrosman

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2018, 02:21:54 AM »
WHY?
because it Never will and I'm not saying why :P

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2018, 03:03:50 AM »
I think it is coming too. 76 keys are too many for an arranger.  ;)

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2018, 03:15:48 AM »
I had a T4 - 61 key. I bought the T5 - 76 keys and couldn't believe the difference the extra octave made. A lot less fussing with the octave button! For the many of us who came from the T5 - 76 keys to the Genos, the Genos seems very small in comparison. I had my T5 and Genos at the same time for about one week so I could transfer all my files. I actually got out a tape measure to make sure Yamaha had given me the same number of keys :) (LOL)!

The 76 keys comes in handy when you're playing professionally too.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2018, 03:17:02 AM »
Very nice setup, Pino! Thanks for sharing. I always enjoy seeing pics of other peoples' setups.

whataguy

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2018, 04:18:38 AM »
Absolutely right Lee. Maybe we should have a special section for nice people like this who will share this type of information. Don in MI

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2018, 04:25:46 AM »
WHY?

Yamaha makes a 61-key keyboard. It’s called a PSR.

They have settled on 61 for PSRs, 76 for Genos, and 88 for Clavinovas. I see no reason for them to change this lineup.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline J. Larry

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2018, 05:37:57 AM »
A 61-note Genos would get my attention.  I sold my 61-Tyros 5, expecting the same on the new Genos.  Didn’t happen, so I passed.  Don’t need a 76, since I concentrate primarily on making wav file backing tracks for performance purposes.  Got a 61 PSR and a new 61 Korg.  They do the trick just fine.

Offline guitpic1

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2018, 05:54:33 AM »
All the arrangers I owned were 61 key until Genos.  I’ve gigged twice now with Genos.  Takes some getting used to 76 Keys but I like it.
guitpic1

For me, the goal is to keep growing/learning.

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2018, 06:22:37 AM »
I can certainly see where a 61 key is perfectly adequate, as in J. Larry's case. Anything more would be a waste :).

Aren't there similar keyboards with 49 keys or something like that? When you're not performing live stage, smaller key beds are fine - although back in my earlier days of owning the PSR 2000 and PSR 3000, I sure did a ton of gigs with those two puppies!

Offline EileenL

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2018, 07:10:10 AM »
The 76 note Tyros 5 sold better than they thought but people said it was very large and heavy. Now we have a 76 note Genos which is not much longer than Tyros 5 and a lot lighter in weight. it is also selling very fast as such a lot of people I know have all got Genos and love the 76 note. The extra notes are ideal for using three way split now. I would be very surprised if there bought out a 61 note. I think this will now only be used on the S series.

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2018, 07:49:01 AM »
I just saw a demo that referred to the specs showing Genos is only 3" longer than the 61-note T5.
Check Out My YouTube Channel! https://goo.gl/edbXFS

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2018, 08:29:59 AM »
Pino, I like that set up with the Ketron SD40 nice looking and compact.
GENOS, SX900, Clavinova CVP 307, Korg Pa4x.........

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2018, 11:47:42 AM »
What Yamaha ought to do is ADD one more button and put over by my LEFT hand.

That button would flip you over to the RIGHT 2 (only when selected) and silence RIGHT 1. Then if you taped it again it should go back to RIGHT 1, that would be slick. ;)

There are a lot of times I would like to switch off while playing my lead as a guitar and flip it over to the Pedal Steel Guitar. I do it sometime by having the OTS set up but it is to tricky to get it right some times. Heck, I can't remember which OTS is the Pedal Steel  with all that is going on when performing.  ;D

Regards
Drake
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 11:53:30 AM by DrakeM »

The following users thanked this post: StuartR

Offline Joe H

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2018, 11:50:25 AM »
I Doubt this and this is never going to Happen

I think it is silly that people cannot accept the idea of a 61 key Genos.  It might be called by another name and could be the PSR 975 follow-up.

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2018, 12:30:22 PM »
I think it is silly that people cannot accept the idea of a 61 key Genos.  It might be called by another name and could be the PSR 975 follow-up.

So you’re saying the same things as others — when a new 61-key keyboard comes out, it will have a different name, like PSR — but when other people say it, it’s “silly”?

I don’t understand how saying the same thing is silly for some, but not for others.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Pino

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2018, 01:13:24 PM »
Fred, calm down, it’s not an attack towards you.
We’re only discussing keyboard size and weight

I think Genos is a great keyboard but we all have different needs

If you had to transport you keyboard and gear to gigs and have to sometimes carry upstairs or unload in rain or snow or sometimes late for a gig and have to rush around, it’s the last thing you want is an unmanageable bulk just for the sake of an octave more of which 90% of members here never touch anyway.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 01:52:03 PM by Pino »

Offline Joe H

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2018, 03:16:20 PM »
So you’re saying the same things as others — when a new 61-key keyboard comes out, it will have a different name, like PSR — but when other people say it, it’s “silly”?

I don’t understand how saying the same thing is silly for some, but not for others.

Fred

Some people are too fixed in their thinking.  We are just discussing ideas here.  We all have a right to our opinions.

I personally would like to see a 61 note keyboard with some of the Genos features including no built-in speakers. Maybe it will be named something other than a PSR.

Joe H

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

ash1

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2018, 07:45:59 PM »
i think its all about choice if the sales of the Genos are as good as people say they are then why not throw a 61 key Genos into the mix
to cater for the people who have always used a 61 key arranger
and would then go out and buy a Genos it makes perfect sense
when all is said and done it doesnt matter if its a 76 or a 61 key Genos

the main thing is we enjoy our arrangers no matter what kind we have
life is to short to argue about such trivia  ;D

« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 07:47:19 PM by ash1 »

Offline EileenL

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2018, 07:52:20 PM »
Well as I always say, time will tell. Up untill now I have always had 61 note keyboards and mainly for the reason that they were easier to carry around, but with Genos it is not a big brute and is lighter than Tyros also more slenda and not much longer than Tyros 5 so why not have the advantage of those extra keys.

Offline soryt

« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2018, 08:10:08 PM »
In the period that the genos was brought onto the market I was assured that absolutely no 61 keys would be made, therefore I sold my handmade flight case (very light weight) for the Tyros 5 (61). I am very satisfied With the sound of the Genos, I still preferred a keyboard with 61 keys, much more handy, lighter and easier to place. If Yamaha bring out a 61 keys version, they have deceived a lot of customers, and I can not see that happening.

Soryt  :)
Genos & YC61 and Tannoy Gold 5 Monitors
My You Tube Channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmC6hdAR1v5lYN8twfn0YbA?view_as=subscriber

Offline Pianoman

« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2018, 08:51:51 PM »
It is very important when having a discussion, to know whether another member, when posting,
is standing in your corner, or Yamaha's corner.

It is not helpful that in many discussions, there are some (who may have a vested interest in
promoting the Genos in it's current form on Yamaha's behalf) that might try to stifle any
criticism about present Yamaha products, as well as speculation about future
Yamaha products.

While one may use discreet language in this endeavour, the other usually will react with the
subtlety of a sledgehammer. But the pattern, predictably, always remains the same.

It makes some responses appear suspect, because one doesn't know whether they're
posted in the spirit of good fellowship, or posted to promote the interests of Yamaha.

All in all, it makes open minded discussion somewhat difficult.

Best Regards.
Abby.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 10:02:29 PM by Pianoman »

The following users thanked this post: Gunnar Jonny

Offline mcbrown

« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2018, 09:29:37 PM »
I had a Tyros 5 76 which I loved for its 76 keys, but found it to be very heavy for transporting and trying to fit into my SUV. As I've got older I am very conscious of looking after my back, particularly as I have hurt myself several times in my profession as a nurse. When I saw the pending release of a new top of the line "name unknown" keyboard coming to replace the Tyros I thought I would go back to 61 keys just to cut down on the weight, although I would miss the 76 keys.

Then I heard the Genos was only going to be a 76 keys model. Feeling rather disappointed with Yamahas decision to do this I was considering trading my 76 for a 61 Tyros.

The Genos had finally arrived at my local Yamaha store in early November 2017 so I went in for a look and listen. I immediately loved the sound and feel of the keyboard. I asked the store owner if I could pick it up to test the weight and with his approval, I could feel a definite reduction in the weight and bulk feel of the Genos. I went back home and packed up the T5 76 and returned to claim my Genos.

This was my experience and I have no regrets regarding my purchase of the Genos. I am not a power player or professional keyboardist as I'm actually a guitar player for the last 50 yrs. I do appreciate fine quality sounding instruments whether they be guitars or keyboards etc.

Murray
Genos + MS01, TouchMix 30 Dig Mixer, Fender Strat & Tele, Cole Clark FL3, Music Man 210 75 and Behringer: FCB1010, B1200D Subs x 2 & B205D f/b spkrs x4, Boss: GT-1 Guitar Fx, Roland: GR-55 Guitar Synth, MAUI 28 G2 & 5 GO x2, Korg EK-50L Arranger, Zoom L-8

Lloyd E

« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2018, 09:52:16 PM »

Genos will never make a 61 note keyboard. Other models have 6l note keyboards, buy one of them .   Lloyd

Offline EileenL

« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2018, 11:31:51 PM »
Well Abby,
   If you purchase a keyboard and you are very happy with it then I think most will mention the manufacturer
If you need to get in touch with the support team and they fall over backwards to help you, you are going to mention that to. Where is the problem in that. If you take an over all view Genos is by far the best keyboard from Yamaha so far and for that I give praise.
  I have been very dissapointed by the way some members have slated this keyboard without even owning it and insinuating we must have been mad to buy it but they were quick enough to ask us for the new styles and Multi pads off of it. 
  Every day you hear of people taking delivery of there's so they can't be that bad.

Pino

« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2018, 12:11:21 AM »
Eileen,
I don’t think anyone has been slagging it off
I think Genos is a great keyboard

It just does not have some necessary tools like a real sequencer, chord sequencer, easy connection to Cubase or any DAW, midi to style, style editor etc. that we need.
We just think that Yamaha has had 15 to 20 years to sort these things out but alas only voice improvements and a touch screen in a different case.

Enjoy what your playing 🎹
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 12:45:03 AM by Pino »

tyrosman

« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2018, 01:18:09 AM »
Well as I always say, time will tell. Up untill now I have always had 61 note keyboards and mainly for the reason that they were easier to carry around, but with Genos it is not a big brute and is lighter than Tyros also more slenda and not much longer than Tyros 5 so why not have the advantage of those extra keys.
    well said Eileen I cant wait to get mine :)

tyrosman

« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2018, 01:28:17 AM »
Well Abby,
   If you purchase a keyboard and you are very happy with it then I think most will mention the manufacturer
If you need to get in touch with the support team and they fall over backwards to help you, you are going to mention that to. Where is the problem in that. If you take an over all view Genos is by far the best keyboard from Yamaha so far and for that I give praise.
  I have been very dissapointed by the way some members have slated this keyboard without even owning it and insinuating we must have been mad to buy it but they were quick enough to ask us for the new styles and Multi pads off of it. 
  Every day you hear of people taking delivery of there's so they can't be that bad.  very well said Eileen :)

Offline valimaties

« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2018, 01:29:16 AM »
I think it is coming too. 76 keys are too many for an arranger.  ;)

No, are not, Drake ;) You can make a lot of things, in style creator, in Split Point options, etc... 76 definitely better that 61, ever.

And it is not a big keyboard, Pino
T5-61=1140 mm and Genos-76 = 1234 mm (G > 94 mm)
T5-76=1347 mm and Genos-76 = 1234 mm (G < 113 mm)

Regards,
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline Joe H

« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2018, 03:44:11 AM »
So... we have different opinions, interests and likes/dislikes.  What else is new?

Let's still be friends!

;)

Joe H

Offline mikf

« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2018, 04:04:15 AM »
If Yanaha made a 61 key version of Tyros but the price was exactly the same as the 76 key version, how many people would choose it. Not many I suspect.
And I am not sure they could even do it now for the same price, it would probably cost more due to re-tooling for a much smaller production run. That would make no sense.
Mike

Offline Ingar

« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2018, 04:04:50 AM »
Quote from Synthzone
In a few weeks at musikmesse we will see a 61 version of the Genos..
Thats a rumour coming from Germany..

My dealer has said this all along

And why shouldn’t there be a 61

When Ford make a car they make a salon, a coupe, a hatchback
There have to modify some part but if there is a market then they
go for it. It’s about making money.

Pino

Well, if Genos is supposed to be a follow-up to Tyros 5, which is made in both 61 and 72 versions, I find it natural that Genos also comes in the same format.

Regards Ingar

Offline mikf

« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2018, 06:01:22 AM »
Pino - that’s the point, it is about making money. When car companies make smaller selling variants on main models they often charge higher prices even where arguably you are actually getting ‘less car’. Yamaha have concluded that all other things being equal (including price) the vast majority of buyers will choose 76 keys over 61. So the only way to make money on a variant would be to charge more than the standard. If the 76 key was $4000 and the 61 key $5000, then who would buy it?
Mike

Offline EileenL

« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2018, 07:08:11 AM »
I don't think Genos is a follow up to any keyboard. It is a completely new concept. Out of the hundreds that have been sold most are happy with 76 notes.

Offline Joe H

« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2018, 08:27:17 AM »
I don't think Genos is a follow up to any keyboard. It is a completely new concept...

Oh?... It's still an arranger with new features that Yamaha got its ideas for right here on this forum.  It's just a new an improved arranger that's all.

Joe H

Offline mcbrown

« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2018, 05:36:37 PM »
If you intend to buy a car, keyboard, boat, house or whatever, surely you do your research to see if the item meets your requirements. When outlaying a lot of money for something I spend several weeks and many hours per day researching my potential purchase by downloading spec sheets and any other information I could find on the net etc. Then again I'm the sort of person who reads the Owners Manuals from cover to cover when I buy new products. That's just who I am (my family and friends laugh at this).

To go out and buy something and then complain that it doesn't do what you want or in the way you think it should then you and you alone are responsible for your purchase and not the manufacturer. If the item doesn't meet your needs then keep looking. If you are looking for the keyboard that does everything you want in the way you want then good luck with that because it doesn't exist and probably never will. If the keyboard doesn't do what you want or the step process is not to your liking, yes there may be some software updates / bug fixes that may give you what you want and then again may be not. Do you take that risk?

There have been comments about the price of Genos on other posts and I myself payed $1000 more for the Genos than my T5 76 new. I still think I got good value for my money as things go up over time due to cost of living etc. I bought the Genos because it was lighter and less bulky than my T5 76 and the sounds I believed were a step or two up from the T5. I'm very happy with my new keyboard and will I upgrade to the G2 when it comes out in the future, I don't know. I'm just appreciating what I have and thank you Yamaha for producing this amazing instrument.

Murray
Genos + MS01, TouchMix 30 Dig Mixer, Fender Strat & Tele, Cole Clark FL3, Music Man 210 75 and Behringer: FCB1010, B1200D Subs x 2 & B205D f/b spkrs x4, Boss: GT-1 Guitar Fx, Roland: GR-55 Guitar Synth, MAUI 28 G2 & 5 GO x2, Korg EK-50L Arranger, Zoom L-8

The following users thanked this post: Bill

Offline Gunnar Jonny

« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2018, 07:25:04 PM »
 :o ::) ??? :-[

Talking about prices .....
If price level mirror antyhing about the product, this should say something about it.
Snapshot of todays advert at one of the largest dealers in Norway 2018.03.31 :
Edit: 'Normal' price for Genos is now NOK 38.990,- at most all dealers that sell this brand.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 07:27:54 PM by Gunnar Jonny »
Cheers 🥂
GJ

Offline EileenL

« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2018, 08:11:00 PM »
Well said Murray,
  I agree with every word. Personally I prefer to explore the keyboard and see what all the functions do rather than read manuals. I find that I remember things better this way. Genos is a fine keyboard and if I am still around will defiantly have Genos 2

Offline mcbrown

« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2018, 08:44:35 PM »
Yes Eileen, I did go and play it for a couple of hours to explore the menus and check out the touch screen. I also watched the dealer play as he is a far better player than myself. I then went home and packed up the T5 to pickup my new Genos.

Murray

Pino

« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2018, 09:31:01 PM »
Eileen,
I Wish you many more years of health and happy music

I have a question for you Eileen, Murray or anybody

I have many students of all ages

I have a 7 year old girl student
She’s learnt the chords of a song C F G
She’s learnt the right hand
Now she is so excited to record the song (Quick Record)
and put on Facebook and send to her friends.

Timing of Her left hand chords is not 100%

Can you quantise the chord track post recording on Genos?

Quantise (Genos Manual)
The Quantize function allows you to align the timing of all the notes in a channel. For example, if you record the musical phrase shown below, you may not play it with absolute precision, and your performance may have been slightly ahead of or behind the precise timing. Quantize is a convenient way of correcting for this.

It’s not very clear in the Genos manual

Can you quantise the chord track post recording on Genos?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 09:33:21 PM by Pino »

Kaarlo von Freymann

« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2018, 08:02:55 PM »
......... but with Genos it is not a big brute and is lighter than Tyros also more slenda and not much longer than Tyros 5 so why not have the advantage of those extra keys.

Once again: THANKS.   If you and me - let me call us octogenarians, no insult intended, just the sad truth  -  can handle the Genos  I feel it is has a good format and weight.

We all have our preferences, I for instance dislike everything going black, be it PCs,  printers, or PC keyboards or music keyboards and would have preferred the Tyros finish which unexpectedly stood up for years without a visible scratch. But marketing MUST cater to the whims of the consumer fashion buffs.  We got rid of silly chrome reflecting the sun inside  our cars, now it is  back. Two color cars and white sided tyres will one day come back just like discontinued cabriolet did.
I am a little confused as to what to put into what thread. May I ask you just an easy question once I am writing ?   
You split the right hand keyboard, have piano on the lower and baritone sax on the upper half. The nice thing is yo can get the octave correct and everything saved in the registry.  If you activate voice harmony, it affects both so you have to use a foot switch to turn it off when going to the baritone, which is OK when you sit, but when you stand  and move while you play, you easily miss that foot switch especially if you have no feeling in your feet like me (polyneuropathy.)  Is there a way to make the vocal harmony "partition - or voice specific" ?  On Tyros the harmony was voice-specific  (sometimes annoying) but if I remember correctly I could also override the default for above splitting.

Cheers

Kaarlo

Pino

« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2018, 08:18:32 PM »
Kaarlo
The good thing about Registration is that you can save the settings of your keyboard.
Go to the Mixer Console and edit the Vol/Voice - Filter - Tune - Effect - EQ’s - Harmony
Save your settings to Registration
Pino

« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 08:56:41 AM by Pino »

Offline mikf

« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2018, 05:51:40 AM »
I think I am kind of the opposite of Murray, because the way I see it there is a pretty small list of realistic contenders for many things. Certainly true for TOTL arrangers where there is probably a realistic choice of two brands, and it would take an awful lot to persuade me to change brands. So I don't see a lot of point agonizing over every feature. Especially after its bought! Once I get it I make the best music I can on it rather than worry about whether it has more DSPs than anyone else or a bigger range of compressor settings. The last keyboard I bought was because I wanted an 88 key arranger, and that basically cut the real choices to one. :D
Mike 

Offline sunny

« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2018, 03:41:38 PM »
Hi All,
     Let us not hijack this thread. "Come soon Genos 61 "I'm anxiously waiting to buy Genos 61 keyboard, as i never played any Tyros keyboard more than 61 note on the stage. The 61 note keyboard is convenient for me. If you have any news about upcoming Genos 61 keyboard.Please share.

Thanks,
Sunny
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 04:38:50 PM by sunny »

Pino

« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2018, 04:34:29 PM »
Hi Sunny
Someone said that there may be some new from Musikmesse next week

Let’s wait and see,

Pino

The following users thanked this post: stephenm52